SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: AMG Illuminated Sills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG Illuminated Sills

Are these available to fit aftermarket....?

been searching on other forums but can only come up with mixed answers of yes and no.... also read somewhere that they dont make them anymore.....?

can anyone help

Deano
UK
Old 06-09-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can anyone help - a part number for the below would be great!

Old 07-01-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my amg door sills off of ebay. The dealer wanted over 1000 just to install them. I think they wanted like 1500 for both.

I paid 180 for my sills on ebay, went around to 3 different audio shops and found someone that put them on for 150 dollars.

just ask the store if they have done them before, because I believe if they cut one of the wrong cords, your airbags could go.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:56 PM

2007 Porsche Turbo Cabriolet
After a 5 month wait, my illuminated door sills arrived at the dealers today and I have collected them.

The sills have been hand engraved with the name of the guy that built the engine.

The sills come with a bundle of wires and electrical components, and fitting instructions which are all in German !

My local bodyshop should be able to fit them some time next week, but being impatient, I may have a go myself at fitting them.

I will take a few before and after photos, and post these in due course.

the UK price is a bit steep £824.65 which is a big mark up on the price in the manufaktur book. A lesson to be learnt is to order direct from AMG, and send them the money up front,
Old 07-21-2004, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
There seem to be alot of variants. Blue/White/"Mercedes-Benz"/AMG/Engraved/Non-Engraved. Which are yours?

Seems bizarre to have it engraved with the name of the guy who build the engine but I agree that £824 - $1500 - is alot, not to mention the 5 month wait.

It would be interesting to know what's involved in fitting them. Will they plug into the existing wiring loom or are there parts provided to splice into the cables. How long are the cables? - that will give a clue as to how much of the car has to come apart.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Looks to me like you've paid UK VAT on top of the VAT inclusive price from Germany. If you actually paid for them at a dealer, they should have based their price on the VAT exclusive price from Germany which is €890. If you add 16% German MWT then add 17.5% UK VAT, then divide by an exchange rate of about €1.47 = £1, you end up with the figure you paid.

Was the part no you ordered HWA 230 680 01 35? What does the engraving look like?

Last edited by blueSL; 07-22-2004 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:15 AM

Hi Mark, I may well have a word with the dealer about the price, but in between times I deceided to fit them myself. It was quite a task as the AMG instruction leaflet was all in German !

Anyway, three and a half hours later they were fitted and working.

The 'Kit' comprises the two Sills which seem to have a flat flourescent panel below the aluminium, and a wiring loom. the loom is preformed with connectors to the door microswitches on each side, a connector to each sill, and a few interconnecting wires. there is a supply cable which runs to the fusebox under the cubby hole behind the rhs seat.

Fitting is quite straightforward once you have removed the trim, and the picture guide was helpful even if I could not understand the text. The bulk of the wiring passes through foam filled cut outs hidden under the carpet, so no wiring is visible at all.

The bit that puzzled me was how to connect to the spare fuse, as I could not get the wires to stay put in the fuseholder. As a tempoary measure I have joied to a fused cable from an existing fuse.

Anyway here is the finished result. The second pic shows the discreeet engraving i requested, which says 'Engine handbuilt by Erol Cent February 2004. One can have whatever you like engraved on the sill, but I thought this may be a bit more personal to the car.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-22-2004, 10:31 AM

oops, missed part of your question.

Yes the part number I ordered was HWA 230 680 01 35. This designates blue illumination. The white illumination is 02 in the above number as opposed to 01.

These numbers refer to the 'Engraved sills' and you need to specify what you want engraved, the size and style of the font and where you want the engraving located.

If you don't want any engraving the part number is B6 602 1021, which is blue illumination. There does not seem to be a part number for white non engraved, which is a bit strange.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Thanks, I think they look great, though with Berry Red, white is the only option, so I might have to specify "nothing" for the engraving.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:06 PM

SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Time of delivery

Hello Tony

Did you wait FIVE month to receive your engraved door sills ?? Thats really a very long time to receive these parts. Did you order them at your local dealer or at AMG (Affalterbach) direct ?

Any other upgrades on your car ?

Thank you for your reply

kind regards from France

Walter
Old 07-23-2004, 07:09 PM

Hi Walter, yes there was a long wait possibly due to the fact that AMG wanted to know engraving details, then font sizes, positioning of the engraving etc etc.

My car has a 'Performance pack', and an Origin B2 speed camera detector, and a laser jammer that send a five second return signal to the laser gun. I have recently installed a DVD player that utilises the AV input of the TV tuner,and the TV tuner has had the software modified so that the passenger can watch TV or video in motion.

The only other planned modification is chrome 'AMG' buttons on the door opening indicators in place of the standard plastic 'pop-up buttons', but I haven't worked out how to fit them without stripping the whole door trim off !!!

Apart from that, the car is standard except for Chrome surrounds to the registration plates.

To the unitiated, the car looks like a standard SL.