SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: VRP Headers Fit SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 01:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 SL55
VRP Headers Fit SL55

Gentleman,
I just pulled the trigger on mid length headers for my 03 SL55. Anyone install these on their SL55? How well do they fit and can I do this on my back or should I send it to a shop and have them put it on a lift?
Thanks!!
Old 01-01-2021, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm here with my 2003 SL55 AMG, the latest edition to the fleet
D

Originally Posted by Jigginadeal
Gentleman,
I just pulled the trigger on mid length headers for my 03 SL55. Anyone install these on their SL55? How well do they fit and can I do this on my back or should I send it to a shop and have them put it on a lift?
Thanks!!
HA! I just got mine delivered the other day. I questioned Phil (VRP) a couple times and he said they fit without making contact. I have no reason not to believe him. I've just got the last couple things on the way and I'll be installing my whole package of goodies.

Did you get yours installed yet? How'd it go?
Old 01-01-2021, 08:49 PM

2003 SL55
No sir i've not started on this yet but have a guy who has done the job before and said it was a pain. He said next time he'd pull the subframe to allow more room to work. Let us all know when you do your please. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL55
Kinda off topic but are you guys also install high flow cats? Thinking of installing them on top of the headers. Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2021, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mikeyssl
Kinda off topic but are you guys also install high flow cats? Thinking of installing them on top of the headers. Thoughts?
Yes... no reason not to because you've got to cut and weld anyways. So I did some homework and the Gesi "GSport" cats were really reviewed highly across the board. First, they've employed the triagular substrate that kooks proved to be more efficient. Second, it's a 300 cpi which means that you'll no doubt pass emissions. (vs. most which are 200 cpi) The only drawback is that the SL has a 2.75" exhaust, so there are very few cats in that size. The Gsport is a 3" inlet/ outlet. But I bought some adapters I'm going to weld in. The price is a win too... I was able to get mine through my buddy for $130 a piece. That's killer.

https://gsportbygesi.com/high-perfor...tems-products/

Old 01-08-2021, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
Originally Posted by Bdubblu
Yes... no reason not to because you've got to cut and weld anyways. So I did some homework and the Gesi "GSport" cats were really reviewed highly across the board. First, they've employed the triagular substrate that kooks proved to be more efficient. Second, it's a 300 cpi which means that you'll no doubt pass emissions. (vs. most which are 200 cpi) The only drawback is that the SL has a 2.75" exhaust, so there are very few cats in that size. The Gsport is a 3" inlet/ outlet. But I bought some adapters I'm going to weld in. The price is a win too... I was able to get mine through my buddy for $130 a piece. That's killer.

please update when you get installed. Wanted to do cats but those kooks greens are too expensive
Old 03-04-2021, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Amir_AMG
please update when you get installed. Wanted to do cats but those kooks greens are too expensive
I installed my VRP headers a few weeks ago. And they fit without hitting. Pretty close but good to go.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:18 PM

2003 SL55
Thanks Bubba. Did you do it on your back, and did you need down pipes to tie in the the rest of the exhaust system?
Old 03-04-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jigginadeal
Thanks Bubba. Did you do it on your back, and did you need down pipes to tie in the the rest of the exhaust system?
Nah... I have the luxury of exploiting my best friend for his shop. I hijacked a lift. Doing it on your back would be a pain for sure.
The mid length headers come in two pieces, They runners merge at the collector a good ways down, almost at the bottom of the motor, then there is a flange and another section that's about 8-10" long I'd say. You can tie that in right before the cats. But I went with a high flow cat on mine. So I cut out my stock cats and welded it all together nice and tidy like.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:23 PM

2003 SL55
You are the man!!
Old 03-05-2021, 06:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 55 AMG, BMW M Roadster, Holden Commodore SSV
Having MBH LT's installed without primary cats next week. Interested to see how it goes. Passing state inspections not an issue, only concern is smell. Can always weld in some Kooks Green Cats if I don't like the outcome.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E320 cdi 2006, SL55 2004
Will anybody post pics with description of downpipes installed?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:08 PM

sl55 amg
Bump.
I'm in the process of installing VRP midlength headers on my sl55 and they, at least the passenger side which I am starting with, don't seem to clear the studs...any tips?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:30 PM

2003 SL55
No sir I've been lazy and not done the install yet. Goid luck to you.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by dra3g
Bump.
I'm in the process of installing VRP midlength headers on my sl55 and they, at least the passenger side which I am starting with, don't seem to clear the studs...any tips?
Take the motor mounts loose. Jack up the engine to clear the mounts, then push the motor over as far as you can and wedge a 2x4 between the trans and the tunnel/ body of the car to hold it.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:27 PM

Take the motor mounts loose. Jack up the engine to clear the mounts, then push the motor over as far as you can and wedge a 2x4 between the trans and the tunnel/ body of the car to hold it.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:59 AM

2003 SL55
Thanks for the tip Bdub.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:47 AM

sl55 amg
Thanks - I've seen this in an E55 video and had forgotten about it. Will give it a go in the next few evenings.
Anyone have any idea where we can get the exhaust manifold nuts? I'm seeing options that appear to be smaller (8mm) or larger (12mm) than what came off my car and I want to replace one that got slightly rounded in the process.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:57 AM

sl55 amg
Found the right angle this weekend and got both sides in without having to loosen motor mounts/jack up engine or pry.
All but 4 studs came out with the factory manifolds which definitely made it easier for me so depending on what you are left with after the oem manifolds are off instillation may be easier or more difficult.
Fit seems good, but the passenger side is definitely firmly touching the hard pipe that heads down to the aux. water pump so I need to figure out how to handle that as it will definitely cause issues.
Input from VRP would be welcomed here as these are supposed to fit with no issues..
My motor mounts are new so there is no issue with the engine sagging or now being properly centered.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by dra3g
Found the right angle this weekend and got both sides in without having to loosen motor mounts/jack up engine or pry.
All but 4 studs came out with the factory manifolds which definitely made it easier for me so depending on what you are left with after the oem manifolds are off instillation may be easier or more difficult.
Fit seems good, but the passenger side is definitely firmly touching the hard pipe that heads down to the aux. water pump so I need to figure out how to handle that as it will definitely cause issues.
Input from VRP would be welcomed here as these are supposed to fit with no issues..
My motor mounts are new so there is no issue with the engine sagging or now being properly centered.
Hey man... I cut the rubber hose up top and installed an elbow which changed the angle of that pipe to give it clearance. Still able to use the lower mounting point. Pretty easy fix.
Oh...and when you change the angle, the foil heat shielding against the body is preformed so it pushes against that. I just used a pry bar and "dented" that foil heat shield in where I needed to, to create the space needed. Got plenty of clearance.

BW
Old 05-03-2021, 03:15 PM

sl55 amg
That's pretty much what my plan was, thanks for the insight!
Snap a photo next time you are wrenching if you are able, would like to see exactly how you routed it.
Will probably get to this next weekend.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG

what up @Bdubblu. You still have the buddy with the connections for the GESI green cats? I'm in the market for a pair.
Thank you,