SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My 2005 SL65 with RENNtech goodies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 10:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
W140, CLS55, SL65
My 2005 SL65 with RENNtech goodies

Hey fellas,

I just added a new car to my garage - 2005 SL65 with RENNtech goodies and made a literally quick video about it.

Please feel free to ask any questions. More videos to come within next few months:

Old 08-31-2021, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Sergey84
Hey fellas,

I just added a new car to my garage - 2005 SL65 with RENNtech
Beautiful !! Really nice, looks great.

I have always thought that the ONLY thing wrong with my SL55 ... is that it is not an SL65 : ) perhaps I will find one someday.

If you were thinking you might want to upgrade the steering wheel/Paddles to 2007/2008 spec, I have a really nice custom gripped, like-new wheel (with paddles and "Mercedes Paddle Converter" module) that I just pulled out of my 2003 sl55 (I upgraded to a custom 3-spoke) - pics below. If you are interested in the wheel I pulled out with paddles, adding paddles to your wheel, or even a 3-spoke wheel with paddles (I ended up with an extra black 3-spoke wheel and airbag while I was upgrading) ... send me an email at Latemodel21@yahoo.com.

Cheers,
Chris

Barely used, custom-gripped wheel I just pulled out.

3-spoke I just installed (fully functioning)

Last edited by latemodel21; 08-31-2021 at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sergey84 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:25 AM

W140, CLS55, SL65
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Beautiful !! Really nice, looks great.

I have always thought that the ONLY thing wrong with my SL55 ... is that it is not an SL65 : ) perhaps I will find one someday.

If you were thinking you might want to upgrade the steering wheel/Paddles to 2007/2008 spec, I have a really nice custom gripped, like-new wheel (with paddles and "Mercedes Paddle Converter" module) that I just pulled out of my 2003 sl55 (I upgraded to a custom 3-spoke) - pics below. If you are interested in the wheel I pulled out with paddles, adding paddles to your wheel, or even a 3-spoke wheel with paddles (I ended up with an extra black 3-spoke wheel and airbag while I was upgrading) ... send me an email at Latemodel21@yahoo.com.

Cheers,
Chris
Hi Chris!

Thank you!

Actually you may not need to pursue purchasing an SL65. Your SL55 looks great!! I guess it's silver on black! I really like your two-tone interior color scheme. And the new steering wheel with red bottom section fits it really great! As for the steering wheel with paddles - thank you for your offer, I may think about it. I guess since I have 2005 I may not need a "Mercedes Paddle Converter" module. I upgraded the steering wheel in my CLS55 a while ago. It was plug and play setup. I think since I just got the car I may not install any upgrades this year. Need to do other non-car related purchases first!
Old 08-31-2021, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Hi Chris!

Thank you!

Actually you may not need to pursue purchasing an SL65. Your SL55 looks great!! I guess it's silver on black! I really like your two-tone interior color scheme. And the new steering wheel with red bottom section fits it really great! As for the steering wheel with paddles - thank you for your offer, I may think about it. I guess since I have 2005 I may not need a "Mercedes Paddle Converter" module. I upgraded the steering wheel in my CLS55 a while ago. It was plug and play setup. I think since I just got the car I may not install any upgrades this year. Need to do other non-car related purchases first!
Thanks for the kind words, but I don't know if I will give up wanting an sl65 just yet.

I can totally relate to the need to focus on "non-car related purchases first" Probably best to enjoy the car as is for a bit before you think about upgrades.

Yes, all CLS55 (and all SLK55, C55 and 2005+ E55) are essentially plug and play (paddle compatible) from the factory. But ... 2003-2004 E55, 2003-2006 SL55/65, S55/65, CL55/65, CLK55 and SLR MaClaren are all "analog" paddle configured (so they need the paddle converter).

Cheers,
Chris
Sergey84 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 02:05 PM

W140, CLS55, SL65
Thanks for the kind words, but I don't know if I will give up wanting an sl65 just yet.

I can totally relate to the need to focus on "non-car related purchases first" Probably best to enjoy the car as is for a bit before you think about upgrades.

Yes, all CLS55 (and all SLK55, C55 and 2005+ E55) are essentially plug and play (paddle compatible) from the factory. But ... 2003-2004 E55, 2003-2006 SL55/65, S55/65, CL55/65, CLK55 and SLR MaClaren are all "analog" paddle configured (so they need the paddle converter).

Cheers,
Chris
Thank you for info about paddles in early models! I didn't know that even 05-06 SL55/65 need a paddle converter. I haven't looked into that yet and I wonder if it requires some kind of surgery or that converter is literally installed inside the wheel? I remember reading about paddles when I was looking for a new steering wheel for my CLS55 and as far as I remember some folks were even cutting some holes in order to fit paddles etc.

Regarding SL65 - I guess you should really define why you need it. Just because of its engine or something else? For example my 2005 SL65 is not equipped with Keyless Go. Idk why they didn't install it. It was just a $1000 option and compared to a $180 000 car's price before tax and registration it's really nothing. Less than 1% of the cost. I really like such option in my CLS55. I see your car is equipped with it as well.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Thank you for info about paddles in early models! I didn't know that even 05-06 SL55/65 need a paddle converter. I haven't looked into that yet and I wonder if it requires some kind of surgery or that converter is literally installed inside the wheel? I remember reading about paddles when I was looking for a new steering wheel for my CLS55 and as far as I remember some folks were even cutting some holes in order to fit paddles etc.

Regarding SL65 - I guess you should really define why you need it. Just because of its engine or something else? For example my 2005 SL65 is not equipped with Keyless Go. Idk why they didn't install it. It was just a $1000 option and compared to a $180 000 car's price before tax and registration it's really nothing. Less than 1% of the cost. I really like such option in my CLS55. I see your car is equipped with it as well.
Well, I have always thought of the Sl65 as "the king of beasts"

Keyless go ... where to start on this. Sorry yours did not come with it, but this might be a blessing (as any aftermarket version is likely better). I Love keyless go ... my SL55 has it (I even upgraded my 2003's Keyless go module so that I could use the keyless-go-key rather than the keyless-go-card).

I am such a fan of keyless go that I added it to my SLK32 AMG and to my 2003 F250 truck. ... now this is the interesting part, The aftermarket systems I have added (at a cost of less than $250 each) aside from "push to start", have additional, useful features built-in - auto lock and unlock (no pulling the handle or pushing a button when getting in or out) and remote start. Not sure if either of the kits I used would work on an R230 (have to give that a little thought).

attached is a pic showing the "Mercedes Paddle Converter" installed. 100% plug and play.

Cheers,
Chris

Module is shown in position in upper pic
Sergey84 (08-31-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:35 AM

W140, CLS55, SL65
Well, I have always thought of the Sl65 as "the king of beasts"

Keyless go ... where to start on this. Sorry yours did not come with it, but this might be a blessing (as any aftermarket version is likely better). I Love keyless go ... my SL55 has it (I even upgraded my 2003's Keyless go module so that I could use the keyless-go-key rather than the keyless-go-card).

I am such a fan of keyless go that I added it to my SLK32 AMG and to my 2003 F250 truck. ... now this is the interesting part, The aftermarket systems I have added (at a cost of less than $250 each) aside from "push to start", have additional, useful features built-in - auto lock and unlock (no pulling the handle or pushing a button when getting in or out) and remote start. Not sure if either of the kits I used would work on an R230 (have to give that a little thought).

attached is a pic showing the "Mercedes Paddle Converter" installed. 100% plug and play.

Cheers,
Chris
Yeah, it's a beast but it's an old beast. Honestly I'd buy a new AMG GTC or GT63S if I had money.

Please tell me which brand you used for SLK32 and F250? I'm not sure if I can install the OEM KeyLess GO into SL65. It may require buying lots or expensive OEM stuff, but aftermarket - why not?

PS: Thank you for the pic!
Old 09-01-2021, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Yeah, it's a beast but it's an old beast. Honestly I'd buy a new AMG GTC or GT63S if I had money.

Please tell me which brand you used for SLK32 and F250? I'm not sure if I can install the OEM KeyLess GO into SL65. It may require buying lots or expensive OEM stuff, but aftermarket - why not?

PS: Thank you for the pic!
I used the "easyGO" PKE system on one and then later used the "EASYGUARD" (EC002) PKE system on the other. The "EASYGUARD" (EC002) is more current, more available, and better priced, but after further reflection on the R230 ignition key/setup, I tend to doubt that either would work on an R230. But if one of the 2 could, it would be the latter.

If I were to look into this further, I would call midcityengineering since they have already semi-cracked this nut (with a remoter start upgrade for R230). If aftermarket "PKE" has (or can) be done on the R230, they would likely know.
https://www.midcityengineering.com/p...arter-sks220c/

If you were to seriously consider adding the factory system, you would probably do well to have a (skilled) dismantler (wrecker) pull all of the components out of a wrecked R230 (It would be best if it came from an SL55 or SL65 if you wanted to swap the shifter w/start button in ... alternatively, you might be able to add the button and 2 wires to your shifter OR add your "start" button elsewhere), The whole system is not too complex (but you would need to change door handles, add 5 or so antennas and a couple of solenoids, the start button and the module AND then you would need to upgrade to Keyless go keys)

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Chris
Sergey84 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:33 PM

W140, CLS55, SL65
I used the "easyGO" PKE system on one and then later used the "EASYGUARD" (EC002) PKE system on the other. The "EASYGUARD" (EC002) is more current, more available, and better priced, but after further reflection on the R230 ignition key/setup, I tend to doubt that either would work on an R230. But if one of the 2 could, it would be the latter.

If I were to look into this further, I would call midcityengineering since they have already semi-cracked this nut (with a remoter start upgrade for R230). If aftermarket "PKE" has (or can) be done on the R230, they would likely know.
https://www.midcityengineering.com/p...arter-sks220c/

If you were to seriously consider adding the factory system, you would probably do well to have a (skilled) dismantler (wrecker) pull all of the components out of a wrecked R230 (It would be best if it came from an SL55 or SL65 if you wanted to swap the shifter w/start button in ... alternatively, you might be able to add the button and 2 wires to your shifter OR add your "start" button elsewhere), The whole system is not too complex (but you would need to change door handles, add 5 or so antennas and a couple of solenoids, the start button and the module AND then you would need to upgrade to Keyless go keys)

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Chris
Thank you, thank you! After I read about the amount of work needed to keep the factory system I started to doubt I need it. Ideally starting the car with a shifter would be nice and OEMish, but I guess it would cost me A LOT.

Aftermarket system seems to be more affordable. All I need is to start/stop it using a button. I mean I don't even need a full Keyless Go set of features like vehicle automatic lock/unlock.

Midcityengineering solution may be nice. I wish they had more info about package contents on their website: https://www.midcityengineering.com/p...arter-sks220c/ So far I see only a single module pictured on their page, but they say they sell a "system". I hope it includes everything needed. I could definitely use panic button to start/stop it. I guess I'll have to buy an ignition removal tool as well: https://www.midcityengineering.com/product/igntool/

PS: There is another option for me - to check local radio shop and ask them to do the job. I visited them about my CLS55 before when I wanted to add remote start, but then I dropped that idea. Now since SL doesn't have even a start/stop button I may visit them again.

Last edited by Sergey84; 09-01-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:02 AM

W140, CLS55, SL65
Made a quick video about my SL: