SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SRS and SOS mystery...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55 AMG
Question SRS and SOS Errors... Need help!

I’m having problems finding information about the error codes and warning messages I’m getting on my 2005 Mercedes SL55 (R230.474).
Any assistance would be much appreciated.

This is what I see:

- SRS light stays on, all the time,
- Error message on dash shows: “SOS TeleAid Drive to workshop”
- Error message on dash shows: “SRS Restraint system Drive to workshop“

For that, I ran a diagnostic using my FOXWELL NT624 Elite and here are the DTCs:

Vehicle Diagnostic Report
230.474 Quick Scan
  1. ICM-Instrument cluster with maintenance interval display.
    B1133: Fault in CAN communication with control unit E1/6 (Left XENON lamp unit).
  2. AGW-Audio gateway (MOST network management, diagnosis gateway, radio tuner)
    D117: Faulty system start by D2B master
  3. LCP-Lower control panel
    B1848: Fault in CAN communication with control unit N2/7 (Restraint systems control unit).
  4. Control unit TELE AID
    D620: The life signal of control module Airbag cannot be received in time during system start.
    D621: The life signal of the airbag control unit cannot be received.

What I already tried:
  1. Cleared all the codes: They all come back after I restart the car.
  2. Unplugged/Plugged several times the small yellow plugs under the seats. Have NOT used dielectric grease or contact cleaners though: Not effect.
  3. Performed lots of google searches on those codes: Little-to-no content.

By the way, would a true (or clone) SDS provide more details about the root cause and location of those DTCs than what I'm showing above with my Foxwell NT624 Elite?
Thank you.

Last edited by Tirreno; 11-22-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:39 PM

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
1988 BMW M5, 1989 BMW M3, 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, 2006 SL55 AMG w/ P30 Performance Pack
Hello,

I'm having the same issue but by iCarsoft and Mercedes STAR can't communicate with the SRS module. Did you find a resolution to your issue? Please share, I have been suffering from this for 6 months now. I know I may have to replace the SRS module in my case since no tool can detect it.

Thanks,
Old 09-20-2022, 11:47 PM

SL55 AMG
m5zealot,
I ended up going to my local MB dealer for an "official" diagnostic. Their DAS report came up with the exact Codes and wording I get with my Foxwell NT624 Elite, specifically the D620 and D621 codes (see my previous post for the detailed description).
They concluded that the DAS could not communicate with the Control Unit 230-820-56-26 and therefore the Control Unit needed to be replaced and programmed. They quoted me $1,950 ($1,550 for the Control Unit and $400 for labor).

Having said that, I'm not 100% convinced that the issue is really caused by a "faulty" Control Unit...I read several posts suggesting that the problem could be a faulty connector under the passenger seat breaking the connection of the dedicated wire (Yellow/Brown) between the ODBII connector and the SRS Control Module.
It's been several months now and I haven't replaced the Control Module. I think I want to test the signal to see if the connector is faulty and go from there, I just don't know if I should be testing for a continuity or voltage at this point. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Tirreno; 09-21-2022 at 12:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
m5zealot (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 08:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
SL55
The yellow connector under the seat is the child safety sensor. I have an interment issue with that and I get the red SRS on dash but no messages. When I use STAR it gives a code specific to child safety seat. I don't know what the issue is but I don't think it is the yellow connector under the seat.

Maybe try pulling the control module and checking the connector for corrosion?
The following users liked this post:
m5zealot (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 11:07 AM

1988 BMW M5, 1989 BMW M3, 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, 2006 SL55 AMG w/ P30 Performance Pack
Originally Posted by Tirreno
m5zealot,
I ended up going to my local MB dealer for an "official" diagnostic. Their DAS report came up with the exact Codes and wording I get with my Foxwell NT624 Elite, specifically the D620 and D621 codes (see my previous post for the detailed description).
They concluded that the DAS could not communicate with the Control Unit 230-820-56-26 and therefore the Control Unit needed to be replaced and programmed. They quoted me $1,950 ($1,550 for the Control Unit and $400 for labor).

Having said that, I'm not 100% convinced that the issue is really caused by a "faulty" Control Unit...I read several posts suggesting that the problem could be a faulty connector under the passenger seat breaking the connection of the dedicated wire (Yellow/Brown) between the ODBII connector and the SRS Control Module.
It's been several months now and I haven't replaced the Control Module. I think I want to test the signal to see if the connector is faulty and go from there, I just don't know if I should be testing for a continuity or voltage at this point. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hope that helps.
That helps a lot. Thanks for responding.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ldeem
The yellow connector under the seat is the child safety sensor. I have an interment issue with that and I get the red SRS on dash but no messages. When I use STAR it gives a code specific to child safety seat. I don't know what the issue is but I don't think it is the yellow connector under the seat.

Maybe try pulling the control module and checking the connector for corrosion?
Thank you. I’ll give that a try. I was in there just a month ago doing other PM and saw the unit right below where the Command mounts. I think my issue is caused or started when I realized when using my ignition key to start the car - horn, radio and a few other functions are not working. There are many threads on this issue too. I have keyless go so I have been starting the car that way where everything works.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:30 PM

SL55 AMG
Another thought on this, one could think that a faulty Control Module could be the cause in my case because the Diagnostic Report (and the MB Dealer) says that the Diagnostic tool cannot communicate with the Control Module, and since the Control Module is located close to the OBDII connector, logic would suggest that the dedicated diagnostic wire would run directly between the two behind the dash, not going under the passenger seat and come back to the dash...Again, I'm going with logic here, not actual facts. So before we both start going under the seat to deoxidize or replace the connector I would suggest we confirm whether the Control Module and OBDII connector are indeed connected directly behind the dash. Thoughts?

Last edited by Tirreno; 09-22-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:51 PM
SPONSOR

Received 864 Likes on 671 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by m5zealot
Thank you. I’ll give that a try. I was in there just a month ago doing other PM and saw the unit right below where the Command mounts. I think my issue is caused or started when I realized when using my ignition key to start the car - horn, radio and a few other functions are not working. There are many threads on this issue too. I have keyless go so I have been starting the car that way where everything works.
code the mat out and disconnect it
Old 09-22-2022, 03:29 PM

SL55 AMG
BenzNinja,

Can you please expand on what you mean by "code the mat out"? Not sure about what you are suggesting here. Thanks.

Last edited by Tirreno; 09-22-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:17 AM
SPONSOR

Received 864 Likes on 671 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by Tirreno
BenzNinja,

Can you please expand on what you mean by "code the mat out"? Not sure about what you are suggesting here. Thanks.
if your weight-detecting mat pasenger side is giving trouble
code it out but is has to be disconnected too