SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: For Sale Feeler - 2005 SL65 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 10:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLS-550, 2005 SL 65 AMG
For Sale Feeler - 2005 SL65 AMG

So while I don't necessarily want to, I'm looking to put up my 2005 SL65 up for sale. I'd like to hear this forum's expertise on what I should be asking. I already have some low-ball offers from vendors, but I'd like to sell to an enthusiast. Below is just a list. I will add some pics later. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

THE GOOD

Engine and diff tune (DTK Motorsports)

LED low-beams. LED lights in footwells, LED puddle lights.

New flat-bottom leather steering wheel, with paddles instead of the silly buttons

Serpentine belt and tensioner

In-line magnetic filter for hydraulic suspension, updated micron filter. Fluid has been flushed twice since my ownership

All vacuum lines on top of motor replaced, rear coolant neck on engine replaced.

New coil packs and plugs w/boots

Valve cover gaskets

Front/rear accumulators

Rebuilt rear valve block, Have rebuilt one for front, not installed. Pulsation dampers in rear replaced, I have the one for the front

Freshly rebuilt transmission, along with a new torque converter. Rear-main seal also replaced.

Rear diff fluid changed out this year

The usual issue with the transmission plug wicking fluid into the TCM has been addressed, the TCM plug is dry.

Secondary air pump coded out

Aftermarket stereo, using Bose amp

2 of the wheels are new, direct from Mercedes-Germany

Exhaust cutouts installed, remote for opening/closing

Updated version of BCM, with the changed components. No battery lights.

Assuming original rotors, but low mileage Porterfields front and rear

No leaks from roof, level in pump is topped off. Raises and lowers without issue.

Factory wind-blocker installed.

Custom car-cover

Pedal Commander installed.

THE BAD

Paint is about a 8-8.5. Someone was kind enough to key it for me the 1st week I had it. I've touched up the paint, but it's still there. Also a few filled in spots along the roofline. And the usual scuffs under the front bumper, can only see them if you look under.

Passenger side exhaust snapped a hanger at the muffler. I had to do some 'creative engineering' to hold it in place. It's not going anywhere, but it looks a bit uneven looking compared to the other side of the exhaust.

Interior C-pillars (alcantara) have come off due to the glue giving way. I have the pieces, but they need to have the clips reattached and re-installed.

Driver's seat has minimal wear, but no tears or holes. Driver's seat heater is non functional, but passenger's is. Most of the air bladders work, but a few don't hold pressure. Both massagers do work, as well as the ventilation. No issues with heat or A/C.

Issue with the soft-close on the trunk, I think there is a leak somewhere in the system that is shutting off the function. No issues closing the old-fashioned way.

Curb-rash on one wheel, which I may get addressed. Passenger front tire has a small bubble on the sidewall, no issues with it so far, but giving fill disclosure. Good remaining tread on all tires.

OTHER NOTES

As of this moment, this car DOES NOT LEAK. It took me more than 3 years to get it to this point. Consistently dry underneath at this point.

The car is a beast. With the new transmission, this car pulls. Like all-day pulls. I have not confirmed the current HP, but it appears to be there.

I've worked damn hard to make this into a daily driver. A lot of the known (and expensive) issues are 95% addressed. I just don't drive it enough to justify the cost-per-mile at this point, it needs to be driven in order to keep it working. I've put just over 20K miles in the 5+ years I've owned it. It would be an automotive sin for someone not to get full-use of this car, and that's what I was working to. I truly believe that this car would be longer lasting if I didn't let it sit for long periods of time.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems you've been forthcoming on listing the defects and repairs. Here's my $.02:
  • You haven't listed mileage which is a significant factor in car value.
  • Any auto accidents on record or rebuilt title?
  • I would guess "vendors" would rate your car as "good condition" at best?
  • "vendors" pay lower price than private buyers as vendors plan to resell car to make profit
  • fix the easy things such as replace the bubbled tire, fix the muffler hangar, fix alcantara, scuffed wheel
  • many buyers of this car will prefer all OEM components. Mods may reduce value.
  • consider a paint detailing shop to upgrade paint appearance
  • you didn't mention whether convertible top is functional?
Good luck with sale
Old 04-08-2024, 12:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLS-550, 2005 SL 65 AMG
Thanks for the feedback. Some critical things I've missed:

44,700 Miles
Clean Carfax
Car would be rated in good condition
I would fix tire and scuffed wheel as part of sale
Top is fully functional, as well as the roll bar, no leaks.
Old 04-08-2024, 01:48 PM

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
Designo edition? Sport Package? Pano roof? Parking sensors? Distronic cruise? These options make a difference.. My "Guess-timate" is around $30K considering all the work done on it. A little more or less depending on location as well. If selling as a private party to private buyer. If selling to anyone looking to re-sell it, they want to pay as little as possible to maximize their profit. Car dealers are pretty unscrupulous. Having all records pertaining to all the work and repairs, etc., is good. When anyone comes to look at the car, clean wax and polish as much as possible so it's beautiful. Do everything you can to make it as perfect as possible. You can do a VIN decoder printout that will list all options the car was born with, and note delivery date, etc. If desired price point is $30K, ask for $35K because every buyer wants to pay less than the asking price. Just human nature. Still would like to see pictures

Last edited by tonylinc; 04-08-2024 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikekaro (04-08-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 02:02 PM

2013 diamond white/red sl65, 2021 RR Autobiography white/red
I have a similar question, value for a potential sale. SL65, 2013, Diamond White, Red Interior. Carbon pkg. 68k miles. 5 owners, always serviced out of MB Houston. Picks located in my profile. Private buyers only, vendor “wolves” not welcome. Wheels great condition, tires/brakes at 75% each. Rodenso integrated radar, front and back.

Thank you

Last edited by Grateful4; 04-11-2024 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Add pictures
tonylinc (04-28-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 02:23 PM

Beautiful car! For that 2013, Kelley Blue Book states a value about $40k- $47K, assuming it has a pano roof, in "Excellent" condition cosmetically and mechanically. You could look on bringatrailer and see what similar ones have sold there for recently.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:31 PM

Yes, it has the pano, Magic sky roof.

i follow BAT and various R230 and R231s that have sold. It would appear that several, with few miles, have traded in the high $60K to high $80K range. The KKB values for those sold cars was also low. Seems the scarcity….supply/demand…is driving prices considerably above the KKB value.

Perhaps i’m wrong, but it’s what I”m seeing. Anyone have opinions on this phenomenon?

Thank you
tonylinc (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 05:23 PM

I agree, KBB is not always right, and is in many times a low figure compared to real live prices.
In fact, Hagerty Classic car insurance which gives a declared value when you get a policy, so that if your car gets totaled, there's nothing to be decided, they just send a check right away.
They declare my SLK at FOUR times what KBB says. KBB may be more appropriate for "ordinary" cars. LoL
I think that if I were going to sell that SL65 AMG I would probably ask $69,500

Last edited by tonylinc; 04-11-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:35 PM

Thank you for guidance. I was thinking mid 60s as a landing point. I bought it well. No plans to unload, but with prices going up at BAT…never say never.

Be well.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:51 AM

Great idea re: Hagerty. I got a policy at a declared value and my premium only went up $600/yr vs Erie

Thx
tonylinc (04-30-2024)