SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: LOOKS: SL65 vs. LAMBO GALLARDO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
LOOKS: SL65 vs. LAMBO GALLARDO

I see a few posts on those that own both and all they talk about is performance. Not one mention about the looks. Okay.

What about styling and image??? C'mon, guys - other than the steroided power plant, the SL65, gorgeous as all R230 lines are, is still just an SL.

I mean, if you're going to compare apples to apples in terms of pricing, the Gallardo is a LAMBORGHINI, a true exotic, something you see maybe a couple times a year unless you're in a city like LA - and as such, wouldn't the increased head-turning over an SL (let alone any Benz) make up for the slightly less power??? And to top it off, the Lambo is cheaper!

I mean, if looks is all you're after and/or can't afford the $180K+ to buy one, you could buy an '03 SL for 1/3 the cost of a 65, put a body kit, some cool rims, stick a "V12" logo, replace the decals with "SL65" and no one except your service advisor would know the difference! I know that's a cheap shot, but what the hell, there's no law against it...

Also, if you think about it - if NO ONE looks at the rear of the 65, the majority of people would think it's just another one of the thousands of SLs on the road - especially in LA!

The only other question is what will hold up better in terms of secondary market value down the road!
Old 11-25-2004, 03:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Holy crap man, SL's are still mad crunk vehicles.

"Top down, chrome spinning, you see the boss grinnin' I'm lovin' these damn women"
Old 11-25-2004, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Sounds like you just give a crap about what people think about you.

Now if you were smart, you would buy the car that gives you the most fun-factor and rewards of driving it. That is what will last in terms of long term rewards. Truth is, the "image" bs gets old really quick unless you are extremely superficial. I see tons of Lambo's around my area and the Gallardo looks so tiny it really isnt impressive at all. But hey, if you need the ego boost to make you feel better about yourself, then go for it.

T
Old 11-25-2004, 06:38 PM

'19 GT 4 63s ,'17 Bentley Bentayga, '06 Ford GT
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CLFREAK
I mean, if looks is all you're after and/or can't afford the $180K+ to buy one, you could buy an '03 SL for 1/3 the cost of a 65, put a body kit, some cool rims, stick a "V12" logo, replace the decals with "SL65" and no one except your service advisor would know the difference! I know that's a cheap shot, but what the hell, there's no law against it...

Now I've heard it all. I never thought anyone would entertain buying a SL55 then doing a 65 bumper, wheels and badge swap to fake it as a 65. That's the kind of thing people with 3 series BMW's do, stick a set of wheels and bodykit on, then slap M3 badges on their 318!! Actually, there should be a law against such crimes of tastelessness...
Old 11-25-2004, 08:50 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
LOL. I was just thinking about how easy it would be for all of the people that own SL55s to turn them into SL65s with badging, wheels and the front F1 bumper (given the sole purpose of image maintenance). We've seen pics of many SL500 owners doing the SL55 bit. We all know there will be an SL55/SL500 cosmetic conversion to a SL65. So does anyone have a pic yet? :p
Old 11-26-2004, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
I actually i will speak for alot of people on this board and say that we wont change the badges on our cars. Reason being cuz we dont drive a specific car just so some idiot ghetto kid or some materialistic devil bit$h can like us more.

You are in the minority and hopefully you will grow out of it cuz you are probably just a dumb kid who doesnt know any better.....yet. It will slap you in the face soon.

T
Old 11-26-2004, 01:44 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
I actually i will speak for alot of people on this board and say that we wont change the badges on our cars. Reason being cuz we dont drive a specific car just so some idiot ghetto kid or some materialistic devil bit$h can like us more.

You are in the minority and hopefully you will grow out of it cuz you are probably just a dumb kid who doesnt know any better.....yet. It will slap you in the face soon.

T
Excuse your ignorance? Did I state that I would even attempt such a thing? Regardless, If I even cared to do something like this it would be my own perogative which is mine and mine alone. I believe that the "dumb kid" and "Bit**" that you are referring to reflects YOU and your immature response as well as the ghetto reputation that precedes you on other posts. Obviously, you have some serious hang-ups over there in Miami, if you're pissed at the world and your life in general, be mature and keep it inside like a man.

I was ridiculing the attempts made by others which we oftentimes see in pics here. Get a clue so you can save face before you type. You need to grow-up as you don't have the intellect nor character to speak on behalf of anyone here, let alone dictate an abrupt, offensive perspective. Learn to read nuances in tone and language and while you are at it, find a new personality.

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 11-26-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:39 PM

06 SL55
Old 11-26-2004, 04:30 PM

AMG SL 55
that looks nice... is it fast as it looks? (big JK)
Old 11-27-2004, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by RU_MATRX
Excuse your ignorance? Did I state that I would even attempt such a thing? Regardless, If I even cared to do something like this it would be my own perogative which is mine and mine alone. I believe that the "dumb kid" and "Bit**" that you are referring to reflects YOU and your immature response as well as the ghetto reputation that precedes you on other posts. Obviously, you have some serious hang-ups over there in Miami, if you're pissed at the world and your life in general, be mature and keep it inside like a man.

I was ridiculing the attempts made by others which we oftentimes see in pics here. Get a clue so you can save face before you type. You need to grow-up as you don't have the intellect nor character to speak on behalf of anyone here, let alone dictate an abrupt, offensive perspective. Learn to read nuances in tone and language and while you are at it, find a new personality.
While I agree that his post was a little strong - I don't actually think he was referring to your post. I think he was referring to the first post?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
You are correct neo. It was not directed at Ru_Matrix at all. But i can see how he took it personally especially after rereading what I wrote. And yes i was in a bad mood when i wrote that. Living in Miami i see such shallow people everywhere, and yes it does bug me sometimes. Ru_Matrix can post whatever he wants cuz this is an open forum. Ill get off my soapbox now.

T

edit....that Lambo pic is sweet, but i have seen alot of them and they are so small, like a true lightweight sports car usually is. But the original poster didnt seem to be interested in performance, just image and who looks at him. Things that i maintain most people here dont really care about, judging by the past history on this board when others jump on someone for something like that.

Last edited by Doctodd33; 11-27-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:00 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
It's all cool. I've lived in many areas around the US as well as have traveled to many other countries. I did take your remarks personally and it would have been very harsh directing your unjustified comments to anyone.

I'm living here in LA (just moved from Hollywood Hills to Universal Studios adjacent) and also, have a good idea of FLoridians as I own waterfront condo properties in Ft. Lauderdale and Ponte Vedra Beach and visit from time to time. There's good and bad influences everywhere and one can easily be swayed in mood from the forces of each side daily.

"Shallowness" can be easily found in any large city across the US to the extreme which is quite rare in cities of different countries. Ironic that in a "free" and "wealthy" country, money doesn't always buy taste nor class, and perceived "image" oftentimes becomes more important than intrinsic character. One can't easily change other people's perceptions and their reality, but only maintain their own open mindedness and integrity. Peace out, no hard feelings for anyone...
Old 11-28-2004, 04:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice Lambo.
Still prefer the R230 though.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
I see a few posts on those that own both and all they talk about is performance. Not one mention about the looks. Okay.

............this is actually an valid point, except that you lost me and others when you started talking about fake badges etc.

............there a CL65 sitting in the lot at Atlanta Classic cars. It has been there fore about a month. Overall, the CL-class is beautiful, the exterior flows brom rear to front and the car simply has the most tasteful interior I have seen in any car, period. Overall MB's have beautiful interiors and as an Mb owner, it is very difficult to fall for aother brand for this reason. Having said that, the CL65, is visually "unemotional." For a $180,000.00 car it does not stir your soul when you walk up to it. I am sure when you drive it, you might change your mind. But if you've ever been close to a DB9, heard the exhaust note, it is like a seduction. Like the car is seducing you and you cannot resist. It is simply beautiful. This does not happen with the CL65.

Ted
Old 11-28-2004, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
all is right with the world, including Ru_Matrix and myself thanks to private message. Like i told him, i was taught not to let words hurt me, but to make me think instead. That was the purpose of my post, to make others think that being superficial and shallow are qualities alot of people look down upon, of which i assumed many of the people on this board agreed with. I was ignorant to think people would learn anything by my shining light on this fact. One of my many character flaws. Plus i was cranky when i posted it....you know, traffic and all.

Back to the post....i think the DB9 is very seductive, as well as most Aston Martins. But i think the CL was like that as well when it first came out. Same can be said for many cars upon initial release. What stands the test of time is what's under the hood, as well as other things besides just looks.

T
Old 11-28-2004, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by OzSL55
Now I've heard it all. I never thought anyone would entertain buying a SL55 then doing a 65 bumper, wheels and badge swap to fake it as a 65. That's the kind of thing people with 3 series BMW's do, stick a set of wheels and bodykit on, then slap M3 badges on their 318!! Actually, there should be a law against such crimes of tastelessness...
Exactly! Well said. People need to be stopped from taking 3-Series BMW/Rice Rocket Racer Thinking and applying that to the SLs. Anyone who has seriously considered that kind of in-depth fraudulent posing needs to stay with their 3-Series 318tis!!
Old 11-28-2004, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't really think one can compare the aesthetics of a Mercedes and a Lambo. Here's why: Mercedes-Benz has a reputation of being the car of the high-class individual, yet subtle in appearance. Besides its specialty cars for racing such as the SLR, CLK DTM, or CLK GT-R, MB has always kept a somewhat low profile (aesthetically, of course). Now on the other hand we have Lamborghini. Not only are they extremely proficient sports cars, Lambo's look the part as well. Ferruccio Lamborghini was devoted to building performance cars, and after the sale of his company, Hans-Peter Rottlander carried on his tradition. Mercedes-Benz's are vehicles designed to perform, yet subtly, so that a 60 year old man can easily show up to a black-tie event in his CL65 and appear modest, yet elegant. A Lamborghini, however, is a gorgeously designed car because not only does it show a sense of elegance and class, its true power and capability as a sports car can be seen through its keen exterior design. In my opinion, it’s not which car costs more or less based on aesthetics. When you're shopping for a Mercedes-Benz, you're not shopping for a Lamborghini - and vice versa.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:08 PM

300E
personally, I get better driving feeling in lambo than any cars I own, owned or cars I had test-driven. So what fun factors are we talking about? speed for 1/4 mile? is that the fun factor some of you are talking about? by only stepping on the pedal?

In my humble opinion:
Speed - I choose SL65
Head turner - I say Gallardo
Fun Factor - Gallardo. There is a feeling that SL65 doesn't.
Interior - SL65 for sure.

Do you think a valet guy will expect more tips from Sl65's owner than the Gallardo's?

Actually I really wish gallardo has V12 in it, so it has 600+ hp too.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:10 PM

300E
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
When you're shopping for a Mercedes-Benz, you're not shopping for a Lamborghini - and vice versa.

Well said.
They are different beast.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:23 AM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
I would like to re-phrase my original inquiry which S_kLaSse couldn't have put better:

Head turner, Fun Factor, Interior, and which car will automatically get first slot with the valets.

Let's broaden the horizon in that price range:
Gallardo vs. SL65 vs. Ferrari 360 Spyder vs. CL65 vs. Bentley GT

Thanks for your input!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:15 AM

300E
hmm.... in that selection,
I personally think that the rarest will get the valet slot.
And as a matter of fact, some valet doesn't know how to drive the Ferrari's F1 transmission and Lambo's E-gear. So the owner has to park it, and the owner usually park it at the best place. That's one think to consider too.

I have a friend who own a valet company, maybe I should do poll for the valet guys. lol. lets see.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Originally Posted by CLFREAK
I would like to re-phrase my original inquiry which S_kLaSse couldn't have put better:

Head turner, Fun Factor, Interior, and which car will automatically get first slot with the valets.

Let's broaden the horizon in that price range:
Gallardo vs. SL65 vs. Ferrari 360 Spyder vs. CL65 vs. Bentley GT

Thanks for your input!
I would like to pull up in the Gallardo or Bentley GT, no question. I would love to own each of those, but those would be my top two choices.

Maybe someday!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500 Sports Package
I Care What I Think The Car Looks Like

OK , Here Goes -

I have an 03 SL500 ( built in May 03 ) with a sports package. I can't afford an SL55, period. I wanted one but I can't afford it. I love the look of the rear end on the SL55 over the standard SL500. I don't care about the badging as much as I like the dual exhaust and the lower rear body work ( with the kool grill , looks more aggressive then the sl500 ).

I'm no expert and I don't care what other people think, but I do care what I think. So what I am saying is I would be interested in upgrading my SL500 to look like an SL55 ( minus the badge ) to suit my own taste. Not to try and fool anyone else.

Once again I couldn't afford to spend anymore then the US 90K I spent on the SL500, but I am considering some mods and the rear body and exhaust are high on my list.

So... I'm one of those people with an SL500 that wishes it looked like the SL55.

Sorry if this offends those of you who spent the extra money.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:30 PM

'19 GT 4 63s ,'17 Bentley Bentayga, '06 Ford GT
Originally Posted by markbsl
OK , Here Goes -

I have an 03 SL500 ( built in May 03 ) with a sports package. I can't afford an SL55, period. I wanted one but I can't afford it. I love the look of the rear end on the SL55 over the standard SL500. I don't care about the badging as much as I like the dual exhaust and the lower rear body work ( with the kool grill , looks more aggressive then the sl500 ).

I'm no expert and I don't care what other people think, but I do care what I think. So what I am saying is I would be interested in upgrading my SL500 to look like an SL55 ( minus the badge ) to suit my own taste. Not to try and fool anyone else.

Once again I couldn't afford to spend anymore then the US 90K I spent on the SL500, but I am considering some mods and the rear body and exhaust are high on my list.

So... I'm one of those people with an SL500 that wishes it looked like the SL55.

Sorry if this offends those of you who spent the extra money.
Sure, can't see why anyone would worry if you did add some 55 trim, although I'd probably look at one of the tuner packages if you're going to go to body kits. That way you'd get just as nice a look, a bit more individuality and probably save some cost over the factory parts.

I just wouldn't put on the all the factory 55 body parts and then decide to debadge the car. That sends out the wrong message to people ie. you want people to think you drive a 55.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:06 AM

300E
markbsl,
you should consider other tuner like Brabus, Carlsson, Lorinser and others instead of AMG's. At least your car will be a rare car.
Attached Thumbnails LOOKS: SL65 vs. LAMBO GALLARDO-brabus-sl1.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: LOOKS: SL65 vs. LAMBO GALLARDO