SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL 55 Model year differences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 E63 - P 30, 66GT 350 (sold)
SL 55 Model year differences?

In considering the purchase of an SL 55...wondering about which year would be worth pursuing or not?

'03 intro year, problems? I've heard some had a wiring harness issue? Although given the expense of the vehicle, I would think MBZ would have resolved issues under warranty. Other problems?

Since the SL 55 is still a 5 spd don't need to wory about getting an '04 for that reason. I know the '05 has the new navigation system but sounds like from reading this forum that older models actually had more features? Did they take much out of newer models in order to hold the line on pricing increases with a falling dollar vs. euro?

Seems like '04 might have first year bugs engineered out and probably lots' coming off of leases soon?

So I'm looking for people to chime in with their experiences and opinions.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Worth remembering the SL55 was first produced as a late 2002 model in Germany, along with the SL500 so many of the bugs were ironed out before it even came to the US and the UK, just as you would expect. German customers are unwitting beta testers for cars like this.

Under the covers, there have probably been myriad detailed engineering changes but the most visible is the switch to DVD-based navigation; the wider unit means the wood/aluminium trim no longer wraps all the way round which may or may not matter to you, either way.

There have been improvements to the SBC braking system which is much improved compared to the earliest cars but at the same time, there's been some de-contenting - removal of the hot/cold buttons on the centre console, key-related seat memory, abandonment of the Keyless Go card.

I don't think cost reduction is the major driver. It's more likely that reliability and levels of warranty work are the root cause. Mercedes is making far more SLs than it ever expected to which allows the cost of production to be kept under control because of better than expected economies of scale. Just as well, because this allows them to ride out the depreciation of the dollar more easily even though it must be causing pressure on margins. The price of an SL55 in Europe, pre-tax is something in the range $140 - 150k.

The 30%+ depreciation of the dollar has had a marked effect. American friends who have just visited found it bogglingly expensive in Europe; family visiting the US found it ludicrously cheap.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:14 AM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Red face Funny you should ask

New to the forum, i initially posed the question of whether i should get an SL500 vs SL55 (the answer was obvious, but i needed some support so i could convince my wife it was worth the extra $30 K). Having said that, i just ordered my 2005 SL55 yesterday w/ parktronic, keyless go, bi-xenons, ventilated seats, and the phone. I don't know that there are many differences in the 04 vs 05 model, other than the nav system and a few bugs, but i am excited nonetheless excited. When i finally take possesion of the car, i will let you know about my experiences.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:06 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by vkapoormd
New to the forum, i initially posed the question of whether i should get an SL500 vs SL55 (the answer was obvious, but i needed some support so i could convince my wife it was worth the extra $30 K). Having said that, i just ordered my 2005 SL55 yesterday w/ parktronic, keyless go, bi-xenons, ventilated seats, and the phone. I don't know that there are many differences in the 04 vs 05 model, other than the nav system and a few bugs, but i am excited nonetheless excited. When i finally take possesion of the car, i will let you know about my experiences.
That's 30K well spent!

~ Ian
Old 01-28-2005, 04:27 AM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by IanSL55
That's 30K well spent!

~ Ian
thanks Ian; the waiting is killing me......
Old 01-28-2005, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Congratulations, you will not regret the extra spend. The SL55 is an outstanding luxury GT.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:29 AM

'08 E63 - P 30, 66GT 350 (sold)
Thanks all, it's interesting to hear people's feedback.

I posted to vkapoormd's thread on the SL 500 forum. I too have been on the fence but seems the horsepower, nicer trim, nicer exhaust note, and extras that are a given on the SL55 but options on the SL 500 help offset or justify the cost differential.

Being that cash is king, the debate continues. Order exactly what I want at probably $135K+ or find a used one that someone else took the depreciation on. I plan on keeping the car for 5 years and plan on buying it outright.

Does anyone know when they started offering the all black Nappa leather interior that LovingSL purchased?

Sounds like not too many horror stories with problems on early years '03/'04?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Given that I've recently put my foot back in the Porsche pond, compared to the horror stories of persistent oil leaks and engines blowing up there, the SL is an easy ride.

Most of what we have faced is niggling problems which may or may not be fixed at first attempt and which are a reflection of the huge complexity - especially electronic and electro-hydraulic. It's fair to say though that maintenance costs down the road will be significant and that will reflect in re-sale values, simply because there is so much to go wrong and what does go wrong is pricey to fix. Mercedes are getting better at diagnosing and fixing the car as the base of knowledge improves.

Depending on whether you are using this as your daily driver, you can save yourself problems from the outset by planning to keep the battery in the trunk trickle charged if the car is out of use for a week or more. I've let mine go completely flat so often that it now needs replacing.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:33 PM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Used (barely) SL55 2004 for Vince

Originally Posted by VinceB
Thanks all, it's interesting to hear people's feedback.

I posted to vkapoormd's thread on the SL 500 forum. I too have been on the fence but seems the horsepower, nicer trim, nicer exhaust note, and extras that are a given on the SL55 but options on the SL 500 help offset or justify the cost differential.

Being that cash is king, the debate continues. Order exactly what I want at probably $135K+ or find a used one that someone else took the depreciation on. I plan on keeping the car for 5 years and plan on buying it outright.

Does anyone know when they started offering the all black Nappa leather interior that LovingSL purchased?

Sounds like not too many horror stories with problems on early years '03/'04?
Vince, not to digress, but this may help you since you and i seem to have had the same debate whether to lay down the extra cash. Like you, i am in the Bay Area, and was looking for a used SL55- i did find one at Claridge Motors in Fremont, model year 2004, Brilliant silver, charcoal, black ash, every single option available (panorama, keyless go, bixenons, parktronic, phone, distronic, etc, etc) and only 900 miles. Was originally 126K, but got them down to 116K, but my wife seems intent on getting an 05 model, so i backed off. Nonetheless, the salesman has been calling me all week, and says they could probably come down to 114K. It is a really great deal, so maybe you could check it out...inbox or email me and i will put you in touch with the sales person i was dealing with. Good luck....
Old 01-28-2005, 04:10 PM

08 CL600 Black
I had an '04 500 which I traded in for an '05 55. Right off the bat, the major difference and what I should say is a God-send is the shift to DVD-based navigation! I just found the cd version too cumbersome to use. I live in a small state, New Jersey, and yet, to go to Philly, I needed to use a different cd on the '04. With the '05s dvd nav, I don't have to worry about changing cd's. The next thing I noticed that were gone are the seat memory-controlled rearview mirror as well as the aux port in the glove compartment. On the other hand, the telematics on the '05 is digital. I also heard the '05 has the improved version of SBC.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Noone denies the improvement of the new navigation system but it's just one facet of the car. I rarely use it, knowing where I am going most of the time. If budget is no problem, an 05 is the obvious choice but the 04 will offer you a useful reduction in lifetime ownership costs if you go for that. Depends what you are buying the car for.