SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 in 4 way review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
SL65 in 4 way review

Good article in this March 05 Car magazine extolling the virtues of the classic GT - 12 cylinders, 2 doors, lots of power, lots of exclusivity. Why fly on a budget airline when you can travel in style?

They compare the Ferrari 612, SL65, Bentley Continental, Aston Vanquish S. Great photography, ending up in the fabulous location of Porto Fino in Italy. Highly subjective comparison of course, but the ranking is: 1 Aston 2 Ferrari 3 SL65 4 Bentley. The SL65 is highly rated, but is thought to lack the exclusivity and hand made feel of the Aston and Ferrari. A telling comment, which applies to all SLs is "Alongside the Ferrari and Aston, you cannot help noticing how fussy the SL65 is with shutlines everywhere".

Here in the UK, the SL65 can easily be mistaken for an SL350 costing about 40% of the price. As the article jokes, most people in this market will have a wrist watch costing more than that...

The same issue also features cold weather testing of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage in Sweden which is said to leave the 911 in the dust on the Nurburgring.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
I couldn't care less if people think an SL65 looks sedate and fussy. Car Magazine have good reviewers but like every car magazine, they are very inconsistent. Why would anyone want to go off a magazine reviewers opinion? I thought people knew they can test drive a car before buying?

The SL65 along with the other 65 cars are ludicrously priced at 150K GBP, and will not sell....only in this country. With motoring costs running sky-high, the chance of seeing a car more presitigious than an S320 CDI is grossly remote, let alone a 65... The 65 models, according to the AMG Owners Club are selling very well. AMG may not be able to mett full demand, which makes you think how many people out there that can afford to blow 150K GBP on cars!

Still, the SL65 is a different type of car, it may be expensive look like an SL350, but there is nothign wrong with its performance or reputation. Its not exactly a handler, but then no AMG really is these days. The people who buy the SL65 are looking for a grand comforting and luxury roadster with credentials to match. It is a stunning car, its sombre looks are completely at odds with its sledgehammer performance. People are slowly beginning to accept that on our roads comfort is king, of course 600hp is also worth having , provided you can afford it.

The Ferrari will always win on driver appeal, but with its bad quality and out-of-this-world running costs and depreciation, its a better buy when used. The Aston I can't really comment on, not appealing to me.

End of the day, its the customer's choice. For me personally, if I was in a position to buy: S600 daily driver and probably SL55 or F430, then call it quits.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Bilal
...Why would anyone want to go off a [magazine] reviewers opinion?...
In this market segment, I think that mainly depends on the entertainment value of the review. There is no arguing about taste, period. People who spend this kind of money on cars are going to buy whatever the hell they want (which serves them right!). Like sports and politics, cars are a great discussion subject, and more important, a very personal choice which reflects personal preferences.

I for one am always amused when a review(er) puts the SL55 (or any other trim) down for reasons of ordinarity, tacky-ness, or bad quality. Hell, it may even be true to a certain extent. That will however not wipe the grin of my face when I drive the thing.

Other reviews:
http://www.topgear.com/jsp/individua...Number=09.html
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104360

Last edited by sprins; 02-01-2005 at 02:38 PM. Reason: other reviews added
Old 02-01-2005, 02:32 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
I like ferrari but inside it's just so burring, no technological advance and its difficult to use as a daily car, its in that factor that mercedes beat ferrari, its has the sporty look, the convenience to be a roadster and convertible (hardtop) and ferrari not (exept for the superamerica), the power to chalange the ferrari and all the technological advance that non of the other car ever has. And its the only car that you can use as a daily car.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by blueSL
Good article in this March 05 Car magazine extolling the virtues of the classic GT - 12 cylinders, 2 doors, lots of power, lots of exclusivity. Why fly on a budget airline when you can travel in style?

They compare the Ferrari 612, SL65, Bentley Continental, Aston Vanquish S. Great photography, ending up in the fabulous location of Porto Fino in Italy. Highly subjective comparison of course, but the ranking is: 1 Aston 2 Ferrari 3 SL65 4 Bentley. The SL65 is highly rated, but is thought to lack the exclusivity and hand made feel of the Aston and Ferrari. A telling comment, which applies to all SLs is "Alongside the Ferrari and Aston, you cannot help noticing how fussy the SL65 is with shutlines everywhere".

Here in the UK, the SL65 can easily be mistaken for an SL350 costing about 40% of the price. As the article jokes, most people in this market will have a wrist watch costing more than that...

The same issue also features cold weather testing of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage in Sweden which is said to leave the 911 in the dust on the Nurburgring.
blueSL, you earlier mentioned an AutoCar article with a 3-way test of the SL55, SL65, and SL600. Do you have a copy of that article?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
As most longtime members of this board know, BlueSL is biased in favor of Aston Martin. No wonder this post praising the viewpoint of a magazine for AM and slightly against MB.

The AM looks so much like a Jaguar....big turn off IMHO. I think more of the population has one or two wrist watches that cost more than a Jaguar. Id rather have a car that looked like an SL.

T
Old 02-02-2005, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by v8plus4
blueSL, you earlier mentioned an AutoCar article with a 3-way test of the SL55, SL65, and SL600. Do you have a copy of that article?
Sure, PM me your email address and I'll send you a PDF.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
As most longtime members of this board know, BlueSL is biased in favor of Aston Martin. No wonder this post praising the viewpoint of a magazine for AM and slightly against MB.

The AM looks so much like a Jaguar....big turn off IMHO. I think more of the population has one or two wrist watches that cost more than a Jaguar. Id rather have a car that looked like an SL.

T
Not at all!

I have been quite vocal in my criticism of the DB9, especially the packaging and poor quality of the minor controls and centre console. I have also praised the design, the quality of the paintwork, the driving experience and the special feeling you get when you sit in the car. Equally, I have criticised the SL for the quality of its brakes but applauded its packaging and the role ABC plays in disguising the weight of the car. And so on.

What I don't have is Bilal's blind loyalty to the marque - any marque - which is why I have cars - more than I list - from different manufacturers. Any car is a compromise and when you choose one, you're saying that this car's compromises are the most acceptable to me.

That said, I'm excited by the prospect of the AM V8 which could be more significant in upsetting the status quo than the DB9 has been because of the market segment it will occupy.

Ford owns both Aston Martin and Jaguar and the similarity of their designs is certainly an issue. The original designer of the DB7 now heads up Jaguar design and they have just shown their new XK which looks much too like a DB9, especially in profile, in spite of his protestations to the contrary. I was involved in a clinic of this new design in August 2002, invited to comment in detail on the exterior, interior and ergonomics of the design in comparison with a debadged SL, 911 and SC430. The design had improved since that early prototype but the similarity to the Aston Martin calls the brand premium of the DB9 into question.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:33 AM

05 E500
He was probably merely quoting from a UK magazine and its here where the real bias originates. The British (automotive journalists) are more than a little obvious about their favoritism of their badged cars. It likely has something to do with their pride and heritage concerns toward offsetting their years of embarrassment over the numerous and woeful British Leyland products.

For what its worth, I am getting on the list for the new AMV8 Vantage (a steal at $100 to $110K) which is rumored to be as nicely appointed as their Vanquish models. Where I function (Miami Beach), SL's are so plentiful and otherwise not so unique anymore. I'm thinking of letting my wife do the SL thing for a spell while I try my hand at the AM for a change. (I'm actually going to be adding two new 2006 models later this year; the AMV8 and the new Z06. The former for style points on business and socialite affairs, the latter for my own exhilaration kicks.)

The prestigious Robb Report (The Magazine for Luxury and Lifestyle) just published their Car of the Year 2005 (Top 13) entries (February 2005 edition.)

Notables...

1.) Aston Martin DB9
2.) Porsche 911 Carrera S
4.) BMW 760i
6.) MB SL65
9.) Chevrolet Corvette
11.) Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster

Last edited by c2jones; 02-02-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Interesting the Ferrari F430 isn't in the list... You are correct that the British magazines will tend to favour an apparently home grown effort, even though the DB9 and the like draw from a huge pool of European car expertise - German engines, Swedish crash safety and so on. It is also the case that other journalists have criticised the Vanquish's gearbox, still.

The same magazine rates the SL65 and the DB9 the same but the SL55 above them both, as it happens. It also rates the Vanquish below them all, so this review is just one reviewers take, after testing 4 V12 GTs back to back. In a second opinion, another reviewer said he'd take the Ferrari. All down to personal choice and I'm more than happy to enjoy their comments and allow them their bigotry.

As for the British Leyland thing, the world has moved on hugely since then and the US car industry can hardly point to a blemish free record. Now, where's that AMC Pacer brochure?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL55 AMG
Evo did a comparison of Zonda Roadster, Murcielago Roadster and the SL65. They recommend you buy an SL55 and save yourself £50K. It reckons you never quite feel in control of the SL65 and that it has more power than can be managed due to vague steering and the electronic throttle. Also says the traction control cant cope with the power and can lead to some very dangerous situations.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:00 AM

AMG SL 55
Originally Posted by JohnH
Evo did a comparison of Zonda Roadster, Murcielago Roadster and the SL65. They recommend you buy an SL55 and save yourself £50K. It reckons you never quite feel in control of the SL65 and that it has more power than can be managed due to vague steering and the electronic throttle. Also says the traction control cant cope with the power and can lead to some very dangerous situations.
Thats why i test drove it and refused to buy it.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:33 AM

The SL65 is one of the most frighting cars I have ever been in, and not because it's fast. The car just does not feel as balanced as it should, and while electronics can help hide the fact that the car is nose heavy, they can't repeal the laws of physics (or so MB's marketing materials say).

Personally, if I was paying 200k for a car, I don't want it to look like my next door neighbor's 80k car -- even if I do have a snazzier exhaust, some nice wheels, and a different badge. I'd rather arrive in a DB9.

Then again, who am I kidding, I own the 60k version of my next door neighbor's 25k car...