SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: have driven the SL 55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-Class
have driven the SL 55 AMG

yesterday i had the chance to drive a customers SL 55 AMG (working for MB-dealer) about 30km, mostly on "autobahn".
one of our salesman asked me if i had a bit of time to drive with a c-class (C 250 TD) to a customer and bring his car to our garage for inspection. hmmm, i had no time at this moment but our salesman said i should drive carefully the car IS fast!
after he told me i should bring a SL55 to paderborn suddenly i had time for everything
ok i tooked the turbodiesel and made my way to "haaren" the car made it to 180km/h, not too bad for a diesel. after arrive i saw the silver/berry-red SL55 AMG right in front of the company. parked my car, got the SL card (keyless-go) and started my funny ride.

berry-red lether interior is really nice for this car. ok lets start, push the brake and the start-button on the shiftstick...roooooaaaarm! ...started (big smile in felix´s face). while driving out of the town carefully i noticed a strange sound, a bit like a big truck or tank, i opened the windows and after few seconds i realized that it was the car making that sound, really addicitve but i was only around 2000rpm.

outside of town:
i tooked the road straight to the autobahn, argh, a slow truck just in front of me. it was a very curvy road and i couldn´t see behind the truck if the road was free to overtake him. but then a BMW Z3 comes with from behind overtook me and the truck, so the road must be free. blinker left, steering-wheel left, kickdown! what now happend is hard to explain, i was thrown into the seat sooo hard, the SL55 making a sound i never heard in my entire life, and accelerated like mad the truck was past after a second only a few hundred meters i get past the Z3 the speedo showed 170km/h....buffed. i was hitting the gas-pedal really short and was so fast; unnormal.

on the autobahn:
i drive this piece of the autobahn 33, really often and i know it was good for v-max your car. as i entered the A33 i shift manually to the 5th gear (read about this in a german maganzine) and accelerated from 100 straight to 250km/h only in the 5th. now i know what it means to have a supercharged V8 with 700nm torque, this IS acceleration. had some fun with other cars on the autobahn. a really nice ride. i laughted a lot only because the car was going so good, and i felt so great within.

i the city:
now i came to Paderborn, the city where i work. i got the show because its not often they see a 20year old man in a car the costs about 130.000€. driving throu the city was really funny, a lot of pedestrians turned their had after me. an i was always the first any traffic-light. acceleration is simply amazing and the sound, that unnormal but good sound. after a little round across the city here comes the bad end.
i arrived to our mercedes-benz dealer and had to give the SL to the garage-personal

hope u like my little story and i haven´t made too much mistakes (my english is not always the best)

have a good day,
your felix

Ps: i put a little story with nice pictures some weeks ago, if you haven´t read it, here is the link:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=8555
Old 06-05-2002, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

Just as amazing as i thought it would be.... good for you Felix. Maybe someday i will be able to drive a car like this too
Old 06-08-2002, 05:13 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Felix

Great report!
Old 06-18-2002, 01:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Excellent pics and commentary. Any issues with the keyless go option? Cheers!