SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

Tryiing to figure out the B&O Stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Tryiing to figure out the B&O Stereo

The front raised corner speakers dominate the listening experience. What's up?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
have you gone into the setup and adjusted anything. have you checked all the other speakers to see if they are on, is it in the surround mode
Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM

N/A
Yes, I went into every different audio function I could find. Didn't help. Went to the dealer later in the day and they found they had left the plastic film on the rear speaker. They took it off and you could still barely hear it. Then they asked if I had the CD that came with it. I got it out of the trunk and they put it in and cranked up and said "they seem to be working now". They had to turn it up to an obnoxiously loud level though, something I would never listen to.

I did some poking around on here last night and found a thread from 2015 where there were similar complaints. It was something having to do with DVD Audio 5.1 and that is apparently what they have on the sample CD they give you with the new car. I don't have the CD case to look at to confirm it since the car is now at the dealership.

I also starting reading parts of the owner's manual to see what it says. In the table of contents for Audio System it says "see separate operating instructions". I am not sure if this is a separate manual or not. For Audio Menu (on-board computer) it has some brief explanation of the menu functions but continually references "see the separate operating instructions".

Do you know if I should have received a separate manual for the Audio? Sure seems like it for all the references...

Thanks
Old 03-02-2017, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can only say to go to the balance adjustment, go left and right, then you can hear the door, dash and rear more clearly, see if all speaker seem to be on and equal.
the service dept would have diagnosis procedure for testing the stereo
ask the parts dept to look up the b&o test cd
Old 03-02-2017, 10:53 PM

N/A
I found out from steinhart that the problem is with the design. B&O and Mercedes thought that DVD Audio 5.1 was the future and guessed wrong. The format never caught on. When you put in the B&O test CD things actually sound good because it is DVD Audio.

So after my dealership said it is what it is, I went to two different high-end car sterod shops. On monday I am going to switch out the rear speakers for better and more efficient speakers. If everything goes well this should increase their output. I will report back.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

theres always going to be reinventions of surround sound. since the 70s quad, its always being improved on.
but with this system as it is, I dont think its going to be easy to boost the rear volume, unless you tap into the speakers and add some amps for the rear
Old 03-04-2017, 12:52 AM

N/A
Yeah you may be right that is certainly what steinhart ended up doing but if this works it may be the better alternative. From what I understand the Bose speakers are mass produced for MB are not of the same quality of the higher end Focal, Morel, etc. The first thing my shop is going to do is use a TrueRTA Sectrum Analyzer on it to see what is going on. From there they should be able to determine if a change in speakers will achieve the desired results.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bose arent in the conversation, these are b&o. they are better quality than bose for sure but they can be improved on
Old 03-05-2017, 11:23 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by okbarnett
bose arent in the conversation, these are b&o. they are better quality than bose for sure but they can be improved on
Obviously I meant B&O.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:59 AM

N/A
Okay problem solved. My local high-end car stereo shop Kar Tunz here in Pleasanton said switching the speakers was not going to make a difference so they installed an amp for the rear speakers. It is relatively small and they fit it in just next to the factory amp. Finally I can hear all the sound around me instead of only the front. Total job $700. Any one here in the east Bay want the same call Ava at (925) 460-8869.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

B&O wont be proud