SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: INFO: Which Brembo Kits fit the R170?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INFO: Which Brembo Kits fit the R170?

Hey guys,
Lately there is a lot of talk on the forums about Brembo kits, what fits each specific model, how much it costs, etc.

As your top source for Brembo, we wanted to post up the kits that fit your car, and give you guys some links to our website, so that you can see what your pricing options are.

The kits that fit your Mercedes R170 are as follows:

332mm 2PC 4 Piston Front

355mm 4 Piston Front

These kits are all optimized and designed by Brembo Engineers to decrease unsprung weight, reduce brake fade, and decrease stopping distance by 20-30 Percent when used with the proper tires. These braking systems are perfect for use on and off the track!

For more information:

-Visit www.JleviSW.com by clicking the links above
-Call our toll free number, 1.888.JLEVISW
-Email sales@jlevisw.com
-Send an IM to "Jlevi SW" or "Nick at JSW"

Thanks for reading!
JL
Old 01-19-2007, 10:55 PM

SLK 230
FYI I went to Brembo North America yesterday and had them measure my wheel. Even with the 17 inch AMG sport rims these kits will need a 10mm spacer on each front wheel. If they did'nt need one, I would be all over it. Instead i'm going with SLK 32 brakes.

Aaron Lephart
Old 01-20-2007, 04:52 PM

10mm spacers are dirt cheap...
JL
Old 01-21-2007, 06:12 AM

SLK 230
Originally Posted by Jon@Jlevi SW
10mm spacers are dirt cheap...
JL
Understood. Do you have any feelings on wither this upsets the steering geometry and causes premature wheel bearing issues?

Thanks,
Aaron Lephart
Old 01-21-2007, 03:14 PM

It shouldn't - if the wheel is properly aligned and everything is properly balanced, it's no different than having a custom wheel with a larger offset.

JL
Old 01-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 SLK 32
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but what your saying is that if you add spacers, or wheels with the incorrect offset, you will not change the loading on the wheel hubs and the wheel bearings?
That kind of goes counter to pretty much everthing I've ever been told, or learned...........
Old 01-21-2007, 06:08 PM

SLK 230
Originally Posted by Jon@Jlevi SW
It shouldn't - if the wheel is properly aligned and everything is properly balanced, it's no different than having a custom wheel with a larger offset.

JL

That goes against everything i've been told over the last 14 years. But then again i'm sure wheel bearings have come a long way since then (laugh).

Aaron Lephart
Old 01-21-2007, 10:26 PM

I understand that it changes the load on the wheel bearing, but we have customers who put on spacers or fidget with the offsets of their new wheels (to increase lip, or to clear a BBK) all the time - it's a very common practice in the aftermarket industry.

Will it cause the wheel bearing to wear out sooner than it would normally - I'm sure. On that note, I apologize that I answered your question incorrectly.

What I intended to convey was that yes, it will wear the bearings out sooner, but no, it shouldn't be a serious issue or concern, as people commonly create the exact same effect by purchasing wheels with different offsets than their car is designed for. This may make the wheel bearing wear out a year or two sooner than it would have, but this may or may not be a concern to you.

As for altering steering geometry, I don't know enough about this to comment.

Again, I apologize for accidentally posting somewhat false information!

JL