SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Clicking noise from rear wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 08:45 PM
TCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking noise from rear wheels

I rarely drive my wife's '99 SLK230, but while backing it into the garage this weekend to put it in storage for the winter I noticed a clicking noise coming from the rear wheels. It would click from both sides (not at the same time), and seemed to click when I turned the steering wheel. I could also get it to click while not moving (but only sometimes) by moving the steering wheel back and forth. I got out of the car and rocked the rear of the car from side to side and was also able make it click (but not always). The click sounds similar to metal slapping against metal, or even like an electronic solenoid actuating. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2002, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Some guesses:

1. Play a hub bearing. You could test by jacking up the rear wheel and then just trying to wiggle the wheel with your hand. You will hear the same clicking noise.

2. Play in brake caliper mount.

3. Brake pad

Of course, it could be something totally unrelated to the wheels/axle.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all kinds of cars
It might be this..

Fuel system noise
Old 12-16-2002, 09:52 PM
TCC

Thanks Brian

I plan to try your suggestions, and take a close look at it this weekend. I also made an appointment with the dealer since the vehicle is still in warranty for a couple more months. I think it's worth taking out of storage for a day if the weather is nice enough, in case it needs repair. I would, however, like to have an idea what the problem is prior to taking it in.

David - I'll keep the fuel system noise in mind and listen carefully, but it seemed to occur when lateral movement was forced on the rear of the car.

Tom
Old 01-03-2003, 05:56 PM

SLK 230
Re: Clicking noise from rear wheels

Ok, this is my first entry in this forum...

I actually had this same problem in my SLK 98 and found out that it was a loose nut in one of the suspension arms for the rear wheel. The washer, which was also loose, was making a nice little chiming noise every once in a while when the car rocked. A Mercedes mechanic gave me some bogus theory about electrostatic noise from the brakes but it wasn't until I took the rear tire off and looked very closely to find the loose washer in the area behind the brake caliper.

Originally posted by TCC
I rarely drive my wife's '99 SLK230, but while backing it into the garage this weekend to put it in storage for the winter I noticed a clicking noise coming from the rear wheels. It would click from both sides (not at the same time), and seemed to click when I turned the steering wheel. I could also get it to click while not moving (but only sometimes) by moving the steering wheel back and forth. I got out of the car and rocked the rear of the car from side to side and was also able make it click (but not always). The click sounds similar to metal slapping against metal, or even like an electronic solenoid actuating. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2005, 08:19 AM
cja
Almost a Member!

Anyone can help me... with my R171

Want to share this with all and understand more about my R171, this is what I have. Is it like this?

http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file...LKR171Noise.mpg

http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file...ise.mpg&s=black

With this video to share, I hope some of you could shed some light on this. Anyone anywhere in the world had had this phenomenon?

Dealer and factory had spent 3 months on it to no avail. My car is in the shop. They called me in monday to explain this in addition to the first explanation of rusting due to car washing.

I just received my call today confirming my meeting and apparently they briefed me on the meeting's agenda.

I will see if other forum people have experienced this if at all. No TSB ever issued.

Apparently, I was INFORMED today that this problem (despite repeated fixing) was a state of art and they were able to REPLICATE this problem on a few other R171s. Monday's meeting is to demo to me this so called Phenomenon. I wait to hear.

Now I am even more apprehensive that my new R171 will also have this feature.

To be specific, this phenomenon stems from the brake system and it was absent in R170. It supposedly can be replicated (at least for my R171) under the following conditions:

1. When the car is cold started
2. When the wheels, rear ones, are wet
3. When you put the car in reverse gear
4. When the car's disc has a small amount of rust or unsmooth surface

I wait to hear and stay positive. At this point, I have nothing to lose and rather be informed. If anyone had ever had this problem and knew of this, please let me know. I suspect that I maybe the only one so far and find it a bit surprising that they will demo to me this problem on a few vehicles next week.

Apparently, they will tell me why. Also, they will also tell me what I am getting back for compromising by living with this noise. It sounds amazing. Nonetheless, I feel uncomfortable.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:56 PM

SLK 230
The links don't seem to work for me, and now I'm dying to see the videos.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My disks rust up overnite and make a scratchty sound for 1st slow drive out from house.... normal

Brake pads rattle in caliper holder when wheel moved a little...normal

Loose bolts, etc NOT normal

Bazzle
Old 12-03-2005, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by Gabe
Ok, this is my first entry in this forum...

I actually had this same problem in my SLK 98 and found out that it was a loose nut in one of the suspension arms for the rear wheel. The washer, which was also loose, was making a nice little chiming noise every once in a while when the car rocked. A Mercedes mechanic gave me some bogus theory about electrostatic noise from the brakes but it wasn't until I took the rear tire off and looked very closely to find the loose washer in the area behind the brake caliper.
I just had a clicking sound in the front. It was a loose bolt in the front passenger suspension arm. Just look at each suspension arm and touch the bolts. It will make a sound if it is loose.

The red circles are where the bolt is located on the suspension bars. Dealer fixed it for free. Dealer said it is a common problem for these bolts to get loose because of the stress of the suspensions.

Just replace front with back in the diagram and the picture will help you locate the suspension bolts in the rear. I just tap with my finger and it makes a loud sound if loose.

You also need to check the metal heat shield. I had two missing nuts and that cause a clicking sound.
Attached Thumbnails Clicking noise from rear wheels-supension-bars.jpg  

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-03-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:48 AM
cja
Almost a Member!

Gabe here it is: Mine is a 2005 new R171. Funny isn't it? A first for sure. Now confirmed to be present on all R171s due to the SINGLE PIN design.

http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file=...KR171Noise.mpg

http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file=...se.mpg&s=black
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 PM
cja
Almost a Member!

https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171/129095-r171-special-characteristic-feature-clickikng-noise.html

Check this out. Maybe MB is right that this is a natural phenomenon.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 SLK 2017 Chevy Bolt, 2019 Subaru Crosstrek
I recently read this thread trying to find out about the noise I had in my newly acquired benz SLK.

Now that I have my car running correctly I am working on some of the other problems I have been given free of charge for buying my car.

The clicking noise was one I heard everyday driving the expressway as I left off the gas to let it coast when at speed.

I narrowed it down to the drive line, I was going to attempt to eliminate the problem by replacing the Guibo flex joints. CHECK THE DRIVESHAFT JOINT BOLTS before looking anywhere else.

I wanted to get a good look at them before throwing away money so last night I had a look at them.

One of the flex joint mounting bolts was loose, it would stop making noise if you slightly accelerated , it made a clicking sound when you were in a coast situation.

THE NOISE SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS COMING FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL, this demonstrates to you how noise can travel, making you think its coming from someplace totally different.