Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:07 AM
cja
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R171 special characteristic and feature, clickikng noise

http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file=...KR171Noise.mpg

http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file=...se.mpg&s=black

Now regarding the above noise on my car, I hope some of your pros out there can shed some lights on how to solve this problem.

My dealer can't fix it and MBCL simply tells me that this is the STATUS QUO.

It was clearly demonstrated to me that R171 would make clicking noises (level depends on vehicle, mine was pretty loud) when the wheels are wet and when the car goes in reverse. This problem took them 3 months to identify and my car was out of service for 90 days.

Also, I was informed by a few that this problem only happens to the new R171 although I was told by a few friends that a few C classes once experienced this. Nonetheless, I am quite sure that any R171 owner out there would hear this clicking noise if the rear wheels are wet.

All I am asking is how I can retrofit the brake (MYSELF)... apparently, MBCL already gave me the ultimatum that this is normal and there is no solution offered. Explanation wasn't clear either but it must hv something to do with the brake system design if this is present on R171.

A few had said that the R171 uses a SINGLE PIN brake system while other cars like R170 uses a TWIN PIN brake system. The E and S would not make this noise because it is TWIN PIN and SINGLE PIN system cars like C may make this noise. Has someone ever heard of TWIN v. SINGLE PIN system and has anyone in the world ever experienced clicking rear wheel noise when wheels are wet? The head engineer said there was not 1 SINGLE CASE reported on R171 having this problem so I am the odd one out although it was demonstrated to me that other cars also have this noise.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:09 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by cja
http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file=...KR171Noise.mpg

http://www.badongo.com/vid.php?file=...se.mpg&s=black

Now regarding the above noise on my car, I hope some of your pros out there can shed some lights on how to solve this problem.

My dealer can't fix it and MBCL simply tells me that this is the STATUS QUO.

It was clearly demonstrated to me that R171 would make clicking noises (level depends on vehicle, mine was pretty loud) when the wheels are wet and when the car goes in reverse. This problem took them 3 months to identify and my car was out of service for 90 days.

Also, I was informed by a few that this problem only happens to the new R171 although I was told by a few friends that a few C classes once experienced this. Nonetheless, I am quite sure that any R171 owner out there would hear this clicking noise if the rear wheels are wet.

All I am asking is how I can retrofit the brake (MYSELF)... apparently, MBCL already gave me the ultimatum that this is normal and there is no solution offered. Explanation wasn't clear either but it must hv something to do with the brake system design if this is present on R171.

A few had said that the R171 uses a SINGLE PIN brake system while other cars like R170 uses a TWIN PIN brake system. The E and S would not make this noise because it is TWIN PIN and SINGLE PIN system cars like C may make this noise. Has someone ever heard of TWIN v. SINGLE PIN system and has anyone in the world ever experienced clicking rear wheel noise when wheels are wet? The head engineer said there was not 1 SINGLE CASE reported on R171 having this problem so I am the odd one out although it was demonstrated to me that other cars also have this noise.
Hi there

I hate to say this, but I think that clicking brake sound is normal to this brake system. I have it on my SLK350 and brought in to the dealership to look into. Apparently this characteristics applies not only to the R171, it is also present in the W203 as they both use the same system. My dealership service advisor actually demonstrated this to me on a C230 .... same damn clicking sound.

Hope this helps

p.s. look on the bright side, at least it does not groan like the SBC system on the W211 E class, R230 SL class and C219 CLS class. That constant brake groaning is alot more irritating and this occassional clicking sound.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:28 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
Turn up the radio, drive faster, keep smiling !!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:25 PM
cja
Almost a Member!

Gearhead, thank god! You are the first one that has given me some reassurance. I thought I was hallucinating or that MBCL was playing me for a fool. Thanks to the Internet and it certainly provides an open platform for us to share experience and information and without it, I'd be pretty frustrated.

Now Gearhead, I have SLK 350 as well but my question is this... assuming that this is really a STATUS QUO, wouldn't you consider this to be a design flaw? I mean c'mon... the 20 year old YUGO wouldn't make this noise. You are right, with the new E class SBC which I also owned, I thought there was a problem with the damn noise at first.

However, I would sincerely ask MBCL to issue me a report explaining to me this feature/design of R171 in making clicking noises under wet conditions. I believe that as a customer, I am truly compromising my driving experience and comfort on this feature and I hope to have MBCL include in the report what I am compromising for and how this feature would enhance my driving experience. Otherwise, a retrofit is the only logical option to me as a customer.

For e.g., the E class’ W211 SBC may cause some shaking and noise in the car but MBCL could clearly explain to the customer how this noise and shaking enhance driving experience. I would sincerely ask for an explanation on this feature and how it could be of value to me as a driver. Also, Gearhead, do you think we have an option to eliminate the noise? I don't like it now that I know about it.

Mine makes pretty loud ones and it's embarassing for people around the block seeing this super nice SLK making such noises backing out of the garage in the morning... it's quite abnormal to me.

However, is yours as loud as that of mine?

So I guess MBCL would not entertain my request in retrofitting then... at least I know you had brought it into the dealership but I wonder why no TSBs or service notes were issued on this because my dealership had no clue about this when I brought it in. But what's really wrong with the brake system?

So how do you live with it? Mine usually does this when I back out of the garage every morning especially in damp cold conditions or when the car is wet for maybe a few minutes... it really depends.

So I guess you have kindly accepted this fact but I wondered how you took it when they told you that it was normal? Were you skeptical about it? I certainly was quite skeptical about this feature/characteristic when I first heard about it because in my mind, how could a super car firm with so much to spend on R&D overlook this matter?

I guess I will request for MBCL to issue me a letter certifying the safety of this vehicle and explaining this characteristic. Also, do you know why there are so few complaints on this or is it just you and me hearing this sort of noise Gearhead?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:33 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by cja
... Now Gearhead, I have SLK 350 as well but my question is this... assuming that this is really a STATUS QUO, wouldn't you consider this to be a design flaw? I mean c'mon... the 20 year old YUGO wouldn't make this noise. You are right, with the new E class SBC which I also owned, I thought there was a problem with the damn noise at first.
I won't consider this as design flaw but rather a performance characteristic. For both my MBs; E500 and SLK350; if I had tested them more thoroughly, I would have discover their braking characteristics and determine whether I could tolerate the noise they emit.

On the other hand, if these noise was not part of the design criteria, and they are there, then there is a recourse to have MB address the issues to the consumer's satisfaction.

Originally Posted by cja
... For e.g., the E class’ W211 SBC may cause some shaking and noise in the car but MBCL could clearly explain to the customer how this noise and shaking enhance driving experience. I would sincerely ask for an explanation on this feature and how it could be of value to me as a driver. Also, Gearhead, do you think we have an option to eliminate the noise? I don't like it now that I know about it.
MB may elect to address if they consider that this performance characteristics may damage their image. For the W211, damping kits were issued that muffled some of the groaning. I think this came about due to the outcry that many US w211 customers made regarding the SBC's pump noise.

As for the SLK, I think having MB address this is more remote. This braking system has been around on the W203 and that has been on the market before 2000. Since MB chose not to address on the W203 (which is a mass market product), I seriously doubt MB will address this on the R171.

Originally Posted by cja
However, is yours as loud as that of mine?
My SLK CLACKS like a damn duck if I pump my brakes during reversing. Fortunately, pumping my brakes is not something I do all the time especially during reversing.

Originally Posted by cja
... So I guess you have kindly accepted this fact but I wondered how you took it when they told you that it was normal? Were you skeptical about it? I certainly was quite skeptical about this feature/characteristic when I first heard about it because in my mind, how could a super car firm with so much to spend on R&D overlook this matter?

I guess I will request for MBCL to issue me a letter certifying the safety of this vehicle and explaining this characteristic. Also, do you know why there are so few complaints on this or is it just you and me hearing this sort of noise Gearhead?
After what I went through with MBUSA on the SBC brakes of my E500, I have come to the realization that MBs are just like other auto makers out there. (In fact, MB could be worst due to their perceived image --- thus their arrogance). In fact, my MBs make more strange noises than my 2 BMWs and 1 HONDA I have now. Therefore, IMHO, MBs are fine cars BUT they are no way near perfect

I hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:48 AM
cja
Almost a Member!

Thanks GEARHEAD. It certainly is a relief to me. It looks like you and I both own similar vehicles. I have a E and a SLK and the E's problem... I have gotten used to. Just this damn clicking is driving me nuts although only for about 30 seconds.

A few questions:

My car would only make those clicks under the following conditions:

1. The wheels are wet
2. In Reverse Gear

BTW, does the clicking noise go away after 30-40 seconds or does it always make this sort of noise like those I shown in the videos whenever it goes in reverse? Mine goes away after driving a few feet. Also, from my video, can you tell if my SLK 350 is making those same "duck clacking" noises like that of yours? I mean do you think they are the same type of noise?

Guess your SLK 350 is really making those clicking noises as well cos you didn't seem the least bit surprised after seeing my video. At least I know that the product may not be defective.

Alas, I get your point. If SLK 350 share the same system with the W203 C which was out before 2000, then they probably wouldn't address the issue. First of all, apparently checking many sources on the web, no one is aware of the complaints I made to the dealer except YOU. Now that's one single informed customer out of all the owners out there. Plus if there are so many R171s on the street, if this clicking noise is bad enough or bothersome enough, many people will complain to MBCL so they would find a way to solve it. The fact that I was told that I was the only one probably meant that I would need to take my customer elsewhere from now on. However, I do appreciate if they could put it in writing for me after causing so much inconvenience for the past 3 months. I am gonna wait another week and I would request to get my car back.

I am under the impression that now that I know about this, if I really hate it, I will simply have to install a set of AMG Brake Sets for R171 like the SLK 55 AMG. I bet ya then the noise would go away. I tried out my E class and no matter how hard I spray water to the wheels, the E class made no clicking noise going in reverse.

Thanks for sharing your views on MB being an auto company. You are right. All a matter of cost and benefit and if the complaints aren't enough to cause any concern, the chance of a recall or retrofit is zero I think.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:53 AM
cja
Almost a Member!

One more question, can you clarify the pumping your brakes part?

My noise would occur whenever I back up the car in reverse simply pressing on the gas paddle. It looks like the caliper is scraping against the pad when water is in contact with the brake disc. However, whenever the car is DRY, it is barely noticeable.

Hence, it is not a STEPPING on brake issue for me but just a car going in reverse issue for me.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by cja
One more question, can you clarify the pumping your brakes part?

My noise would occur whenever I back up the car in reverse simply pressing on the gas paddle. It looks like the caliper is scraping against the pad when water is in contact with the brake disc. However, whenever the car is DRY, it is barely noticeable.

Hence, it is not a STEPPING on brake issue for me but just a car going in reverse issue for me.
My CLACKING noise ... which is quite loud comes about when I reverse and stepping on my brakes. If I let my car just nudge backwards without brakes applied, don't recall hearing the sound.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by cja
.... I tried out my E class and no matter how hard I spray water to the wheels, the E class made no clicking noise going in reverse.
I don't think you'll hearing the same sound on the E as the SBC supposedly consistently applies pressure on the rotors and thus moisture doesn't affect it as much. Downside to the SBC, it appears that it wears out brake pads and rotors at a higher rate but a WORKING SBC system is indeed an excellent braking system.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 PM
cja
Almost a Member!

Thanks gearhead. My case is similar while the clicking noise comes about when I reverse backward slowly by stepping on the gas paddle. I had yet to try this on a W203 but I suspect that you are right. It will produce the same noise since it is the same brake system.

I guess I will simply have to get my car back from the dealer and see how serious the noise is. Maybe I will get used to it and like it. Yes let's be positive, maybe it will become nice tunes to my ears!

So far, how satisfied are you with your R171? I mean all in all, I love it very much until this clicking comes along. Most problems that I read, oil consumption, roof rattles, ESP malfunctioning... etc. didn't happen to me. You are right, MB's image gives it a big burden to stand behind its legacy but to me, no car is perfect as afterall, it is built by humans. Just like the SLR, read too much about the fact that it's braking system squeals so hard when used on a normal basis that it is embarassing. It's a matter of coming to terms with myself. For e.g, if it isn't the clicking, it might be something else and I guess my expectations were too high to begin with in thinking that it is a creation of thousands of research hours so it must be perfect to next to it (right up there...).
Old 12-08-2005, 08:25 AM
cja
Almost a Member!

Gearhead, this will confirm your point:

Whether or not it is true I can't confirm but just to share with any owner.

http://www.badongo.com/pic.php?file=...07.jpg&s=black

This is noentheless good news right? I hope this helps anyone out there. However, I just can't get rid of the clicking.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:45 AM
cja
Almost a Member!

GEARHEAD, you got any friend or any solution that might be able to dampen the noise. Kindda embarassing to have a car groans like that going in reverse. Just happened that my car had a louder groan.

I could either try to fit the whole new set of AMG on or simply live with it. Alternatively, take my custom over to Porsche and get the Boxster but have to diss out 30,000 USD. This is all for this noise issue.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by cja
Gearhead, this will confirm your point:

Whether or not it is true I can't confirm but just to share with any owner.

http://www.badongo.com/pic.php?file=...07.jpg&s=black

This is noentheless good news right? I hope this helps anyone out there. However, I just can't get rid of the clicking.
I think MBCL should be given the credit in addressing your complaints. At least they are more responsive then MBUSA.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:05 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by cja
GEARHEAD, you got any friend or any solution that might be able to dampen the noise. Kindda embarassing to have a car groans like that going in reverse. Just happened that my car had a louder groan.
I am not aware of any fix to dampen the noise.

When you park your vehicle, do you pull your handbrake. If you have an automatic gearbox, try relying on your Park of your gear and not use the handbrake. When you are ready to reverse, just shift your gear from P to R and see whether you have the clicking sound when you step on the gas pedal.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:16 PM
cja
Almost a Member!

Let me try going on no handbrake.

Well, I appreciate what you said about MBCL being more responsive than MBUSA. Sure, at least they certified that my car was sound and operationally fit.

Am thinking about putting on a set of AMG to get rid of this nonsense.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:29 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
Originally Posted by GearHead
I am not aware of any fix to dampen the noise.

When you park your vehicle, do you pull your handbrake. If you have an automatic gearbox, try relying on your Park of your gear and not use the handbrake. When you are ready to reverse, just shift your gear from P to R and see whether you have the clicking sound when you step on the gas pedal.
Not sure this will work but a caution on only relying on the Park. I haven't seen what locks this car but many have only a small pin. On older cars I have seen that pin worn down.... just a caution when on a hill.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by RoadkingHI
Not sure this will work but a caution on only relying on the Park. I haven't seen what locks this car but many have only a small pin. On older cars I have seen that pin worn down.... just a caution when on a hill.
I agree with your assessment.

I'm wondering whether the clacking sound he has is due to the handbrake not fully dis-engaged when initially released ... thus my inquiry for him not pulling the handbrake when he parks his car
Old 12-10-2005, 08:19 AM
wem

Received 186 Likes on 105 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
I didn't have the clicking noise until I installed my snow tires and winter alloy rims. The MB dealer said that the problem was with the emergency brake and spent the day making adjustments to the e-brakes. The noise was better, but still present. I contacted Tirerack since I bought the snow tires and rims from them. They told me that the clicking noise occurs if the lugs bolts are too long and interfere with the emergency brake. They traced my order and discovered that the wrong lug bolts were shipped. The difference was only 1 mm, but when I installed the correct lug bolts the noise completely disappeared. I wonder if some of the cars with the clicking noise have bolts that are the wrong length?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 PM
cja
Almost a Member!

GEARHEAD, I think I am taking my custom elsewhere. It's kindda a pity to see this car go because of this imperfections. Conditions vary from car to car but mine is very very loud as you could see from my link.

A few others told me that they were barely noticeable. For some reasons, I find that the R171's system tends to cause premature wearing and my car didn't make noise of those levels when it first started out but after 7 months, it started to quack like a duck. In fact, it does that every morning when I reverse out of my garage and it's damn embarassing. Frankly speaking to me a bit unacceptable for a mercedes. My friend's Hyundai costing 1/5 of my car (Hyundai sold by my same dealer) doesn't make that noise. It doesn't seem any part normal to me.

Just weird... mine's very loud... all the time and they certified it and said it varied from vehicle to vehicle.