SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Mercedes Service Pricing - compare...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Mercedes Service Pricing - compare...

Hi Guys,

I just called up my MB dealer for few pricing quotes I eventually need to do for my vehicle and I figured I would put them out here,so we all can compare and see the difference in each location, state and city.

I am in Toledo,Ohio.

For my SLK 230 -2001:

New Spark Plugs-platinium - $230 Installed

New Battery - $180 - installed

Transmission Flush - $250

A Service - $250

Oil Change only - $85

I need new batteryand figured having new Spark Plugs wouldn;t hurt.

I would be interested how much your MB dealer at your location charges.

Last edited by HBKHBK; 10-27-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Before you go and replace the battery try topping up the cells with distilled water and getting a battery charger. If you do battery maint every 6 monts or so they last forever.

Those prices sound very good, although the transmission flush sounds almost too cheap.

Last edited by Untertürkheim; 10-27-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can call roadside assistance and get the battery replaced for free, just pay for the battery. I paid $130. Also, don't take the car to a dealer, find a good independent MB mechanic. Ask people of older MBs where they take their car. I paid $180 for tranny fluid change and $95 for service A with an indy and I know he did it right because I watched him where I have concerns about the competency about my local dealer.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:01 AM

C300
Hi Guys,

thanks for the important advice.

This is what happened, when I had my car inspected at my local Ford Dealer,they said my battery is very weak...

so I was thinking I would need a new one.But you say I can just have it charged up?

I have a place here,they ONLY deal with putting new Batterys in.

Is that a place I could take the car in? is the battery on an SLK complicated to take out and put a new one in for a "Battery Shop" or other dealers that are not MB?

I also heard,just to call the 1800 number for the MB roadside assistance and tell them you need new batterys for your car and they come and just charge you for the battery,and installation is free? is that correct? should I do that?

thanks

ps: I made a mistake on the pricing, new spark plugs were quoted for $180 at MB and new Battery were quoted at $230

Last edited by HBKHBK; 10-28-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First you need to determine whether or not you have a serviceable battery (accessable cells). If so, open them up and fill with distilled water to about 10-15mm below the top.

Having bought a good battery charger (a $50 investment that will last forever and pay for itself many times), just hook it up (pay attention to + and -) and let it sit overnight. Even if your battery is weak you can probably get a couple of years out of it if you charge it regularly. The fluid level of the batter is usually once or twice per year.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 PM

C300
Hi,
today I had a total inspection done at MB...basically the Service A.
But since I had an oilchange etc done 2 weeks prior, I had the inspection only....

Good news, my car with 73k miles, had absolutely no issues and no problems,not one single thing was an issue...everything was in great shape and i was delighted to hear that.
I was worried though about to hear what needs to be fixed maybe...
They said my battery was totally fine as well...

Now...how does MB determine I need new spark plugs? or whats the standard milage on a mercedes to put new plugs?

is it 75k or 100k?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HBKHBK
Hi,
today I had a total inspection done at MB...basically the Service A.
But since I had an oilchange etc done 2 weeks prior, I had the inspection only....

Good news, my car with 73k miles, had absolutely no issues and no problems,not one single thing was an issue...everything was in great shape and i was delighted to hear that.
I was worried though about to hear what needs to be fixed maybe...
They said my battery was totally fine as well...

Now...how does MB determine I need new spark plugs? or whats the standard milage on a mercedes to put new plugs?

is it 75k or 100k?
For your car I think it is every 30k miles, or every third service. I know the 230K engine goes through spark plugs quickly, but I think there are only 4 of them.

The 320 has 12 spark plugs with the 100k interval, although in reality it should be 70k / every 6th service.

Last edited by Untertürkheim; 10-28-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:46 PM

C300
Untertuerkheim,
thanks for the info, I am sure I will update the spark plugs soon.

I have another question for you,maybe you have an idea/advice.

U know even though my car checked out without any problems through MB computer inspection and physical inpsection...

when I drive, I keep hearing this ratteling sound...its low,so I am not sure if the SLK does naturally sound like that or what. I keep thinking,the whole engine should be quiet without any kinds of noise,but just the engine sound...

I am might be extreme and sensitive with this as far sound goes.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Untertuerkheim,
thanks for the info, I am sure I will update the spark plugs soon.

I have another question for you,maybe you have an idea/advice.

U know even though my car checked out without any problems through MB computer inspection and physical inpsection...

when I drive, I keep hearing this ratteling sound...its low,so I am not sure if the SLK does naturally sound like that or what. I keep thinking,the whole engine should be quiet without any kinds of noise,but just the engine sound...

I am might be extreme and sensitive with this as far sound goes.
Is it at a particular speed or engine RPM? Does it matter if/how hard you are pressing the accelerator? Going over bumps or imperfections? Is the sound coming from the engine specifically, or somewhere else? The more information you can provide the better, although I am inclined to say it may be the parking brake, which can be fixed. The 230k engine is also known for having loud valves, so it could also be that (nothing to worry about unless it is very loud).
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM

C300
Its not loud at all...it happens I think when I press the accelerator and go faster...just now on my way to the store...I was going 30mph...and decided to hit towards 50mph...inbetween I hear the sound..its low,but i hear it.
Its coming from the engine area.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its not loud at all...it happens I think when I press the accelerator and go faster...just now on my way to the store...I was going 30mph...and decided to hit towards 50mph...inbetween I hear the sound..its low,but i hear it.
Its coming from the engine area.
Assuming that you are running premium fuel, it should not be pinging from the engine. Sounds like the typical valvetrain noise for that engine, especially if they are run on too low octane fuel for a long time, there is often carbon buildup on the valves and they get more noisy. It is probably not the lifters since that car should have been on high grade synthetic oil its whole life.

Good fuel, good oil and a high speed road trip may solve the problem.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:30 PM

C300
Thanks again,

you might right.I mean the car also just had new oil change and airfilter change...etc...
maybe like u said its the natural sound of this vehicle.

But if there is indeed some carbon buildup on the valves, wouldn't have notice that on the inspection?

I want this car to run and sound in Top A condition....

The inspection and computer run inspection came out in great condition with no false or mistakes nor repairs....

Can you list me few things,that my car needs to have "newer" so it runs "newer"

I know I wanna have new spark plugs, maybe a new fuel filter...
what other things are important to update or have newer on the car...

what else can make the car sound nice with less noise...

and remember, my car might be in perfect condition,as the inspection suggested, but I might too extreme.

I heard you say something in another topic in which you said "if you do this,your car will be like brand new" I do no recall what it was...

i think smething with belts or hoses and some fluids....

thanks again for your help bro!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks again,

you might right.I mean the car also just had new oil change and airfilter change...etc...
maybe like u said its the natural sound of this vehicle.

But if there is indeed some carbon buildup on the valves, wouldn't have notice that on the inspection?

I want this car to run and sound in Top A condition....

The inspection and computer run inspection came out in great condition with no false or mistakes nor repairs....

Can you list me few things,that my car needs to have "newer" so it runs "newer"

I know I wanna have new spark plugs, maybe a new fuel filter...
what other things are important to update or have newer on the car...

what else can make the car sound nice with less noise...

and remember, my car might be in perfect condition,as the inspection suggested, but I might too extreme.

I heard you say something in another topic in which you said "if you do this,your car will be like brand new" I do no recall what it was...

i think smething with belts or hoses and some fluids....

thanks again for your help bro!
It was in this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r170/266190-slk32-80k-service.html

It all depends on the milage of the car. At 70.000+ miles, you should make sure all fluids and filters have been replaced.

I modify the service schedule slightly because I think some items do not come soon enough. I would flush the power steering system and change the filter and change the differential fluid & fuel filter every 4th service, and the transmission every 3rd service. For your car I would cut the spark plugs back from every 3rd service to possibly every second, depending on the milage interval that the car gives you. air filter every 2nd for sure, since the fuel economy gains are usually much more than the cost of early replacement.

Also, every annual A or B service is supposed to include a full lubrication along with the inspection, all bushings, hinges, the hardtop folding system, sunroof, door latches, etc.

As far as the valvetrain noise, just take care of the car and take a long high speed trip to clean the carbon out.