SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: SLK230 Sluggish & Where to buy the AMG Integral spoiler lip?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230 Sluggish & Where to buy the AMG Integral spoiler lip?

I'm new to this forum but I was hoping someone could help. I have brought my SLK 230 to the dealers many times due to sluggish acceleration. Occasionally when I pull away, even with the accelerator pressed hard to the floor, the car takes seconds to accelerate ... really sluggish performance. (very worrying).
There are no engine fault lights (and the wheel slip light does not come on) - our local service dept says there is nothing indicated by the engine management unit. And if they can't find the problem, they can't fix anything. Even my service advisor said that he doesn't feel that my car is running up to par. He advised me to put in a bottle of techcron every other fill and I have been. I only put in Chevron supreme and nothing else in that car.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Also,I am looking to purchase the INTEGRAL AMG SPOILER LIP for my SLK 230 AMG sport package. Anyone know where I could purchase it and how much?

Thanks in advance ...
Old 05-08-2002, 02:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

What year?

What year is your car??

Details and perhaps I can help.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:35 PM

It's a 1999 Slk 230.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:34 PM

SLK230
I don't think it's a problem with YOUR car, more of a Mercedes flaw. I experience the same thing. I think the throttle responce in the 98-99 models is awful. I drove a 2000 and it seemed better, but still not great.

I'm not sure if it's the blower lag, or the placement of the mass air meter, or what. A better air induction system may help along with with relocation of the MAS. People seem to like the results.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I would love to modify my car to improve performance, but I can't afford to loose the warranty on the vehicle. Any other suggestions?

Also, Anyone know where to purchase the AMG lip spoiler?

Silver1999SLK230
Old 05-08-2002, 06:45 PM

Mercedes 230K, 430ML
response lag

I have a '98 230K too, and response is just fine.

The SLK has a fly-by-wire style gas pedal, so I suggest checking integrity of the pedal-wire link; also, even though there may be no 'formal' error read-out from the ECU, swapping the ECU against one with updated software, at least as a trial, may be worth exploring with the dealer. The ECU controlls both engine and automatic transmission, and a software flaw may disable the car somewhat.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Throttle response

SLK's and C's built before the summer of 2000 have the mass airflow meter located perpindicular to the road, near the radiator. Subsequent modles have the MAF located about 3 inches from the throttle body. Reloacting the throttle body to the "late" location will cure poor response and the 3200 rpm "stall" many owners complain about.

Search the forums for MAF relocation- I think Linh has a way of doing this with the existing parts on the car.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
I had a '99 SLK and never experienced sluggish acceleration. If you have an automatic transmission, that's another place to look.

You can buy the SLK32 rear spoiler from your dealer. You can also get it from http://www.autoclass.net. It does NOT come pre-painted.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:52 AM

slk 99
You may have already read my earlier response but I went through the same problem with my 99 SLK. I tried octane additives, different fuel grades and companies with no improvement. No fault codes etc. In the end it turned out to be a torn air regulating diapham and a plugged air sensor (ie. with diapham material). Since the repair the car is extremely responsive. The car seems to take any grade of fuel and runs just as well. MB did tell me that the EMS adjusts for different fuel grades.