SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Slk230 Pulley Kits

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SLK230 / 2004 CLK320
Slk230 Pulley Kits

ok, i have read lots of threads about pulley kits, looking on HP gains, seems to me that Linh's kit is the best deal out there ... not sure if he's still selling them tho.. i also asked people from evosport about the kleemann kit but they said that kleemann stopped making them, my second option is the Brabus K1 tuning program. now, my question is.... has anybody ever had any engine problem since the install of pulley kits, what kind of problem they are, what kit was installed... im really concerned about the engine reliabilty and sensitivity on this kits. also let me know if you never had any problems and how long have you had it... thanks !!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK 320
go to www.benzworld.org and ask your question there - Linh will help you
Old 09-16-2004, 09:17 PM

I had drivability problems with Linh's kit.

1. When the engine was cold, it would stumble very noticeably at 2-3000 RPM. This would fade after 2-3 minutes. Some people idle to warm up their cars and do not consider this a problem. I don't warm up, and do consider this a problem.

2. Surging (slight loss of power, then power restored) at 2-3 spots on the RPM band when accelerating hard. I did not consider this to be a good thing. May have been indicative of fuel or knock problems - hard to tell.

I removed the pulley after several months. All problems gone.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Almost a Member!

hmmn ... interesting...
Old 09-17-2004, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
Talking

Originally Posted by roadsterman

1. When the engine was cold, it would stumble very noticeably at 2-3000 RPM. This would fade after 2-3 minutes. Some people idle to warm up their cars and do not consider this a problem. I don't warm up, and do consider this a problem.

2. Surging (slight loss of power, then power restored) at 2-3 spots on the RPM band when accelerating hard. I did not consider this to be a good thing. May have been indicative of fuel or knock problems - hard to tell.

I removed the pulley after several months. All problems gone.

1) This problem do happen even on stock car specially with automatic tranny. How do you explain that? But on the manual tranny, it does not have this problem even with pulley upgrade. The user's manual recommended that you allow at least 30s before drive off when start up. It for that reason.

'I removed the pulley after several months. All problems gone"

Do you still have the pulley for sale? Drop me an e-mail if you do, i want it.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:37 AM

I have a manual. The problem came and went with the pulley. I do not have the pulley anymore.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Banned

I have a manual. The problem came and went with the pulley. I do not have the pulley anymore.
This is bullsh$%^t !!! I have never heard this problem on car with manual tranny. I'm willing to bet you, you never bought ASP pulley kit. Do you mind drop me an e-mail with your real name so i can verify with Lee at ASP that you did bought the ASP kit for your car? I suspected you sound fishy when you ONLY got one posted one post in this forum. Why is there the need for you to post fault information? You can come clean on this just by e-mail me your real name so i can verify it that you did owned ASP pulley kit.

Last edited by Clk&Slk; 09-17-2004 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Almost a Member!

thats what i thought.. slk is really sluggish without warming it up... thats why i usually wait til the idle goes down b4 taking off in the morning... so anyone with an auto trannny and pulley upgrade?
Old 09-17-2004, 12:54 PM

I'm the first and only with a W202 pulley upgrade. And automatic tranny. I know there was one auto tranny pullied car before (SLk) buellwinkle did it.

I did my upgrade 3 days ago. It's phenomenal.

And on auto tranny, every morning the trans is very rough the first shifts, it'S normal, it did it before putting the pulley, it does it with every W202 owner (youc an confirm this on club202.com)

I don'T have any weak spot on the poerband, and I'm going on the dyno next week, so if I have a weak spot, I'll know it and exactly where.

roadsterman: do you have dyno proof of your loss of power? At which RPM did this happend? I'd be interested to see the dyno charts.

I will prove with dyno that there is no weak spot and the power gains (i made a dyno last week for baseline)

Etienne
Old 09-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Almost a Member!

MrSpace?? hehe can you post the dyno charts op here?? thanks!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Banned

MrSpace and others,

First of all, i don't think this guys ever bought ASP pulley kit because he haven't come clean by send me an e-mail with his real name for me to check to proof that he did bought ASP pulley kit. He's here to talk sh$$%^t about ASP pulley so we can't see the product. Secondly, if he does own ASP pulley kit and he got this "Surging (slight loss of power, then power restored) at 2-3 spots on the RPM band when accelerating hard.", he DID NOT bought a complete ASP pulley kit from me but instead, he bought just the pulley from ASP then asked other owner with ASP pulley kit for the rest of the kit parts number then he put them together thinking it would save him $$$. But He does not know that there's one part in the kit that he can't order that part, without that parts the engine will "Surging (slight loss of power, then power restored) at 2-3 spots on the RPM band when accelerating hard." That parts is called "MAS relocation pipe". The MAS relocation pipe is a MUST do when upgrade pulley. A couple of this people did this to save money but it backfired on them. How did some of this people able to do this without me or Lee know this? Because they lie to Lee that they already bought the rest of the parts from me and so they only need the pulley. Lee sold about 2-3 of just the pulley alone before we realized what people were doing (bad communication between me and Lee). How do I know this? I got e-mail from people asking for my help if they can buy only the MAS pipe from me because they installed other companies pulley and now they got this power surging. I did help them and sold about two of the MAS pipe alone and that's when i realized what people were doing. Lee and i now have better communication and that's why no one can buy the ASP pulley kit for the pre-2000 Slk 230 and C230 through Lee but only through me.

So far, did not response to my request. I will personally send him an e-mail to see if he would come clean and proof to me that he did bought ASP pulley kit.

Last edited by Clk&Slk; 09-17-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Almost a Member!

yeah.. y wont you just come clean RoadstermaN .. who knows, maybe, just maybe, if there really is something wrong with the kit.. Linh can fix it and make the kit better .. he might give you a new improved kit for free! hahaha
Old 09-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Banned

I have Linh's kit on my 99 Slk. I put it on right after I bought it with 79,000 miles on it. It now has 123,000 on it and the only problem I have had is a nitrous backfire that ruined alot of stuff (oh well). I drag race it (illegal and legal), autocross it an just plain drive it HARD.....Lots of revs lots of triple digit runs practically everyday. (I drive it about 125 miles a day). I have run with CL500's, E36 M3's, 350Z's you name it. It works great and so far VERY reliable.
From,
silverslk

BenzWorld Member
Old 09-19-2004, 09:31 PM

I have an appointment this week for the dyno, I'll post results for sure.

I expect at least 175 rwhp with the wrong ratio (since I oonly had 138 baseline)

And at least 185 with right ratio.

We'll see.

Etienne

Last edited by MrSpace; 09-19-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrSpace
And at least 185 with right ratio.

Etienne
around 180 rwhp on the automatic Slk. Not sure how much gain for the your car. You're the first w202 mode with ASP pulley.

Btw, that D4$%Ck head still have response to my e-mail yet.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:45 PM

WOW! Lots of venom as a result of my post. As I scan down the list since I last logged on, here are my responses:

It is not bull, it happened. You may not have heard of this before, but that does not mean that it did not happen.

Exactly how much are you willing to bet? ;-)

I did purchase a complete kit including pulley, MAF relocation, FPR, and plugs. That is why I described it as “Linh’s kit” and not “ASP pulley”.

Yes, I do mind dropping an email. I chose to remain anonymous for my own reasons. That is why I used a new name. Actually, this was my fist post under this name; I’m not sure why the counter jumped to 2.

I don’t have dyno proof of loss of power. Actually, power loss was very slight and only for a fraction of a second while accelerating hard. More of a surge than a big loss, which was how I described it. Overall the kit produced a nice power increase. I never said otherwise. I said I had drivability problems, I did not say that I had power problems.

I travel on business and weekends a lot which is why I did not immediately respond. I simply did not access the board.

My apologies to all if I offended. I thought that I was doing a service. slkpwr asked if anyone had any problems, what they were, and with what kit. I responded. I didn’t trash the kit, I didn’t say that it did not work. I said that I had drivability problems, which I did, and I described them. Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough, but these were minor problems that others may not even see as problems - I did at least say that pretty clearly concerning the first problem if not the second

If others have used the kit and had good results with no issues, they too are invited and welcome to post. I thought that I was also invited and welcome to post. The request was to get information regarding experiences, and I provided that. I can prove that I bought the complete kit but I can’t prove that I had the experiences that I did, so I don’t feel there is any real motivation for me to do the former. (Unless the size of the bet will make it worth my while!) I feel I have already been prejudged, and my lack of immediate response has been incorrectly and unfairly interpreted. I also take exception to the immediate and harsh use of profanity, which in my mind was totally uncalled for. I don't really care to continue that type of exchange.

slkpwr, you can use the information that I provided or ignore it. I’ll not post on this subject again.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:08 AM
Banned

It is not bull, it happened. You may not have heard of this before, but that does not mean that it did not happen..
It funny that you said this way a big problem for you but then you never mention/complain/discuss with us? Why?

[/QUOTE]I did purchase a complete kit including pulley, MAF relocation, FPR, and plugs. That is why I described it as “Linh’s kit” and not “ASP pulley”..[/QUOTE]

Because the pre-2000 kit is linh's kit not ASP. You can't get this kit from ASP.

[/QUOTE]Yes, I do mind dropping an email. I chose to remain anonymous for my own reasons. That is why I used a new name. Actually, this was my fist post under this name.[/QUOTE]

Well, i'll make this easy on you. E-mail me a copy of your invoice without you name, address...ect. How about that?

[/QUOTE] I also take exception to the immediate and harsh use of profanity, which in my mind was totally uncalled for.[/QUOTE]

You are right and i want to personally say "sorry". I was really shocked when you said it happen with the manual tranny which i have never heard about it before from anyone.

Last edited by Clk&Slk; 09-21-2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roadsterman, the problem sounds exactly like what would happen if you put a pulley on an older SLK or W202 and not do the MAF relocation piece. If your's was a pre-2K SLK, did you just put the pulley on and nothing else? Did you put the MAF relocation piece? Did you put the higher pressure FPR? Did you put the cooler spark plugs? These are common components to just about every pulley kit for that version of the M111 engine except for DSR which uses a GIAC chip to overcome these problems instead. Actually I think Linh's pulley is too mild, not as aggresive as I had on my car, so if you installed all the pieces it should be fine.