SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Euro Delivery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Originally Posted by Duo-Art
The dimensions of the American Tourister Meridian IV Expandable 21" upright carry on are: 21" high, 7" thick, 14" wide.
Unless you buy one of the two bags covered in this thread (the one above, or the Rick Steves bag available at RickSteves.com , do not just go by dimensions. (We tried both, and went with the Rick Steves bag even though it was more expensive, because it was clearly better quality materials, and seemed to have more packing options.) Take the bag to the dealership when they have an SLK350 there, and put it in the trunk. The tolerances are so tight that not all 21" bags fit. Even the Rick Steves bag has to be put in just the right way to make it go in. I believe there is even a little difference between the right side of the trunk, and the left side. So try the bag on both sides. You do not want to arrive at the factory, luggage in tow, and suddenly realize that either your bag or your wife is going to have to be left behind.

Last edited by Maverick; 05-04-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:49 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Link away

Motkoman has supplied some great links on his European Delivery experience. I would suggest your using the search feature putting in the key words "European Delivery" to link to additional threads on European Delivery not only for the SLK, but other models as well since the experience is similar regardless of the choice of auto. You will probably come across some of my European Delivery experiences for both an E Class and an SLK350 from 2004. They will be either posted under northbenz or mercedesfan.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK350
I just got back from ED last week. Definitely do it if you can. There's nothing like punching through 6 gears on a twisty alpine road with wind in your hair, mountain on one side, lake on the other. I managed to put on 3000 km in 10 days. The first 1000 km were pretty painful -- grandmas were passing me by on the autobahn, but after that, it was a blast. And if you end up around Frankfurt, definitely make the trip to Nurburgring.

Here are some pics from the trip.
Attached Thumbnails Euro Delivery?-img_0431_sm.jpg   Euro Delivery?-img_0504_sm.jpg   Euro Delivery?-img_0552_sm.jpg   Euro Delivery?-img_0591_sm.jpg   Euro Delivery?-img_0830_sm.jpg  

Old 05-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK350
speaking of truck space... I found the best options is to take one carryon and one duffle bag. The difficulty is not so much in the volume but the odd shape of the truck. Best to take a bag that's flexible. Also, leave some space for the inevitable shopping. The spaces behind the seats are pretty handy too (if you don't have power seats that retract automatically).
Old 05-05-2005, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by SLK350Magnum
My question is this, Why pay the extra $1200 for the Black Forest option? Is it a better deal for an additional 2 nights lodging for 2 people? Seems like it may be more economical to wing it and if one wishes, just follow the same path the BF journey entails. What am I missing here?
It's actually 4 additional nights. I didn't want to book all the hotels myself, just wanted to keep in simple. $1200 is actually not that much if you think about the hotels that you will be staying. I think it's complementary breakfast for all the hotels, correct me if I'm wrong, plus some other comp. dinners.

This is my first time, I don't know what to expect so, I booked the BF Rally just to simplied things. If I enjoy it and I'm sure I will. I'll pick up my next Mercedes and just wing it like Motz did.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by northbenz
Motkoman has supplied some great links on his European Delivery experience. I would suggest your using the search feature putting in the key words "European Delivery" to link to additional threads on European Delivery not only for the SLK, but other models as well since the experience is similar regardless of the choice of auto. You will probably come across some of my European Delivery experiences for both an E Class and an SLK350 from 2004. They will be either posted under northbenz or mercedesfan.

Thanks for the advice, I was going to search today but this site was down for maintenance for most of the day. I guess I'll have to search some other time.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by WBear
speaking of truck space... I found the best options is to take one carryon and one duffle bag. The difficulty is not so much in the volume but the odd shape of the truck. Best to take a bag that's flexible. Also, leave some space for the inevitable shopping. The spaces behind the seats are pretty handy too (if you don't have power seats that retract automatically).
That's exactly what I was thinking, bring one carryon and a duffle bag and leave some space for souvenirs.

WBear, great pics. I didn't really think about ED that much today but your pictures make me want to call my sale person and tell him when is the earliest they can build my car so, I can pick it up.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK350
And where else can you do this?
Attached Thumbnails Euro Delivery?-img_0619_sm.jpg  
Old 05-05-2005, 08:15 PM

'01 BMW e39 540i, '06 M-B R171 SLK55
Just wondering...

Has anyone done a Euro Delivery and found something wrong with their car while in Europe? Would you then just take it straight back to the factory?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:03 PM

Repairs in Europe

Good question. The second European Delivery I did was back when the 300SD just came out. A friend picked up an identical model and our two families toured together. He found that the windshield washer oversprayed when the sunroof was open plus he found a small area of thinness on the leather of the driver's seat. They had a technician at the factory adjust the oversray problem and it took about an hour for the factory to remove the entire seat and replace it with a new one. I've done ED 5 times and never had any problems surface that required attention in Europe. Your car gets reprepped at the Kundencenter by technicians who check it out for you and then they go through everything with you as well. I've always suspected that the cars destined for European Delivery get special attention on the line and are given a more thourough inspection after manufacture as well - though I'm sure there is no way to prove that.
(Of course your warranty allows you the use of any Mercedes facility in Europe if problems were to develop on the road. The only negative is that teleaid is not enabled until you get back to the States. With Nav though there is no problem letting the car direct itself to the nearest Mercedes dealer if needed - another excuse for getting Nav.)
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 PM

Thanks for sharing

WBear - great photos. Mind sharing where they were taken. I recognize the one on the winding road as the route from Baden Baden to the Schlosshotel. I'm planning another ED trip later this summer and am always looking for a good photo op.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Good question. The second European Delivery I did was back when the 300SD just came out. A friend picked up an identical model and our two families toured together. He found that the windshield washer oversprayed when the sunroof was open plus he found a small area of thinness on the leather of the driver's seat. They had a technician at the factory adjust the oversray problem and it took about an hour for the factory to remove the entire seat and replace it with a new one. I've done ED 5 times and never had any problems surface that required attention in Europe. Your car gets reprepped at the Kundencenter by technicians who check it out for you and then they go through everything with you as well. I've always suspected that the cars destined for European Delivery get special attention on the line and are given a more thourough inspection after manufacture as well - though I'm sure there is no way to prove that.
(Of course your warranty allows you the use of any Mercedes facility in Europe if problems were to develop on the road. The only negative is that teleaid is not enabled until you get back to the States. With Nav though there is no problem letting the car direct itself to the nearest Mercedes dealer if needed - another excuse for getting Nav.)
Pardon my noobness in the ED process, but after you drive your car to the port, how long is the wait for it to get overseas? The same if you were to wait for it without ED?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:18 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
ED Ship time

The estimate is 6 weeks to the east coast and 8 weeks to the west coast...with an additional week if one of the 13 Europe drop off points (other than the factory) is used.

I dropped mine in Paris on 10/13 and got it here on 12/16, which was 9 weeks and 1 day...pretty close to the 9 week estimate...
Old 05-06-2005, 03:30 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by vantage78
Pardon my noobness in the ED process, but after you drive your car to the port, how long is the wait for it to get overseas? The same if you were to wait for it without ED?
To answer your specific question, it could be somewhat longer than waiting for normal delivery (but still sounds like a great trip).

My SLK55 AMG was finished build on 4/9, at (ex) port on 4/14, arrived Jacksonville (im) port on 5/1. Then trucking to your dealer. Typically 7-10 days.

So 4 to 5 weeks.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:30 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK350
WBear - great photos. Mind sharing where they were taken. I recognize the one on the winding road as the route from Baden Baden to the Schlosshotel. I'm planning another ED trip later this summer and am always looking for a good photo op.
From top to bottom: entering the gate of Rothenburg on the Romantic Road, on the way to Interlaken from Luzern, along the Mosel River from Koblenz to Nurburgring, from Baden-baden to Schlosshotel (good eye!), on the way to Mt. Rigi from Luzern. Switzerland has some really good scenic drives. And if you go in the summer, more alphine roads would be open. I hear Austria is good too.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Dodge Hemi Magnum , SLK 350 soon
Cool

Went to MB of Naples yesterday, they said they won't know '06 prices until early June, and first ED, if ordering now would be in early July. I'm thinking I want my delivery for early October to participate in Oktoberfest....I dunno, there may be some inherent risks in that! What are the penalties for DWI and public drunkeness? HA! HA! JUST KIDDING! (ahem, well maybe...) :v
Old 05-07-2005, 04:24 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Talking

... I'm thinking I want my delivery for early October to participate in Oktoberfest....
:v
If you are considering it, be aware that the Oktoberfest in Munich ends the first Sunday in October...it actually is for the last two weeks in September...

They are very strict with DUI...so take public transit if drinking...
Old 05-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Almost a Member!

So what dates would be the best time to experience Oktoberfest? Is it something that should be avoided if one was smart and driving a new 350 with non German/Nordic speaking Americans aboard? Or is it a thing that first timers should experience? as in lifetime experience? Also, how is the weather at that time of year? Mountain Passes clear? is it fall there and perfect time for a European tour?

Last edited by SLK350Magnum; 05-07-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:37 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Talking Oktoberfest

So what dates would be the best time to experience Oktoberfest? Is it something that should be avoided if one was smart and driving a new 350 with non German/Nordic speaking Americans aboard? Or is it a thing that first timers should experience? as in lifetime experience? Also, how is the weather at that time of year? Mountain Passes clear? is it fall there and perfect time for a European tour?
SLK350Magnum:
I personally like the time of year of the Oktoberfest because kids are back in school for the most part and the weather is still OK without lots of snow on the roads (mountain passes clear)...the fall colors are also great. We did our Eurodelivery on Friday, 10/1/05, but that only left that weekend for the Oktoberfest (not too important to me because I have been many times before). If you like large and I mean LARGE beer fests, it would be great for you, but take public transit...they are very strict on drinking and driving. I would guess this year the kick-off parade is probably the 17th or 18th of September and it is most likely over on the 2nd of October, but check with a search on the web. If you want to see our route and view some pictures that are still up on a link in the posting go to:
https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171/86201-10-1-european-delivery-route-driven-pictures.html

I am a big fan of Euro delivery...
Old 05-14-2005, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Update on the Euro Delivery.

I will be picking it up sooner than I thought. Was told I can pick it up July 25th. I will have an appointment with my ED sales woman on Monday. I have to pick the hotels then. Anbody else picking their cars up at that time? Maybe we can go joy riding together?

I'm getting really excited, ordered my SLK on May 2nd, didn't think they can make it this quick.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Ynot
Update on the Euro Delivery.

I will have an appointment with my ED sales woman on Monday. I have to pick the hotels then.

I'm getting really excited, ordered my SLK on May 2nd, didn't think they can make it this quick.
Congratulations! Maybe you can answer a few questions that have come to mind for those of us anticipating ED. How long are you planning to tour? Are you going through MB travel for your airline tickets, or doing an Orbitz/Priceline type thing? Are you considering letting MB arrange all your hotels or are you going to freebird it a few days? If you don't mind, keep us updated as your experience unfolds! Are you taking your laptop? Maybe you can give us a travelogue as you go! YNOT!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:23 AM

2005 SLK350
I'm jealous of you guys. I asked if it was an option when I ordered mine (back in June of last year) and they said they couldn't make it happen. Dunno if they were pulling my leg or what, but it's not a big deal.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:00 PM

I was thinking of ED but my wife has seen me drive in europe. She didn't want me flogging the car all over europe. I figured it was a good idea and we would be better off to rent one and have the fun with there car. Octoberfest rocks. I was they last year in early Oct. Weather was cool and rainy. I would shoot for 3rd of 4th week of Sept. It was Italy weekend when I was there and the italians were in town which added to the fun. Easiest to get there by train if you are drinking and want to party. You have to try the deep fried duck it is excellent. For all the beer drinking it is very tame. You don't see many fights and and everyone has a good time. Beside the locals in ladderhosen carry the traditional deer paw knifes so take notice,lol. I had a great time. We had only one encounter which was not to bad. We came out of a beer tent and a local was fighting with his girlfriend and hitting her head agnaist the wall. Big Joe from Texas who I was with said to watch his back which I did. He has a Rose Bowl ring from Iowa and played for the Jets for 4 years. He is a big boy. He lived in Germany for 2 years and speaks it well. He wrapped up the guy in a bear hug and was telling him in German to mellow out and lay off the girl. He kept trying to kick Joe in the nuts. Joe told him to stop or he was going to knock him out. Out of the corner of my eye I saw one of this guys buddies charging Joe from behind with one of those 3 lbs. beer stein. As hes was going by I grabbed him by the hair and slammed him to the ground. He was drunk and went down like a rock. I told Fritz to relax and give it up. I asked Joe what the hell was thinking. I hate domestic issues.
Usually the girl would be the one hitting you with the stien because she loves him. Joe ended up squeezing the life out of the dude until he passed out. Nice sleeper move. The cops came and carted him and his buddy off and thanked us for stepping in and helping the girl. There was a good size crowd watching so we had plenty od witnesses. The crowd gave us a cheer and we ended up drinking for free for the next couple of hours. All in all it was a good time. If all that beer drinking was in the states it would have been a free-for-all. Can't wait to go back. Travelling with big Joe is always fun. We were in Bangkok Thailand in feb. for work and he was a tourist attraction for the locals. They would stop him on the street to get pictures of the huge american towering over there entire family. Even had a Thai shoulder ( Had about a 24" waist and weight maybe 80 lbs) say " this is why americans win wars, we see him coming at us and we drop our guns and run", LOL. Very friendly people there.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Congratulations! Maybe you can answer a few questions that have come to mind for those of us anticipating ED. How long are you planning to tour?
Unfortunately one week, my wife just started her new job and that's all she was given. I have what seems to be unlimited vacation, would love to stay longer, maybe next time.

Are you going through MB travel for your airline tickets, or doing an Orbitz/Priceline type thing?
Hopefully through MB Travel Agency. Lufthansa has a promotion for both MB and BMW going for $1500 p/p plus $150 for an additional ticket, Q class economy, and for business class. It's buy one ticket and get the other for 75% off. Orbitz, expedia, and travelocity, I'm looking at $1300 per ticket flying in late July. I will know today if MB Travel can book me with Lufthansa as Q class tickets are very limited.

Are you considering letting MB arrange all your hotels or are you going to freebird it a few days? If you don't mind, keep us updated as your experience unfolds! Are you taking your laptop? Maybe you can give us a travelogue as you go! YNOT!
I'm doing the Black Forest-Alps rally just to be safe, this will be my first time to Germany. I picked the hotels at the dealer, not much choice, you get to choose 5 out of the 6 hotels. I'll do my best to keep you informed. I doubt if I'm going to bring my laptop but I'm sure every hotel has internet. I might stop by and give an update.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by redvettx2
I was thinking of ED but my wife has seen me drive in europe. She didn't want me flogging the car all over europe. I figured it was a good idea and we would be better off to rent one and have the fun with there car. Octoberfest rocks. I was they last year in early Oct. Weather was cool and rainy. I would shoot for 3rd of 4th week of Sept.
Sounded liked you had a blast, I would love to go during Octoberfest but I'm to anxious and excited to get my car plus it'll take two months after to arrive in Colorado, that'll be close to Decemember before I can get it in my garage, that's too long of a wait. If it's possible, I'll fly out tonight to pick it up tomorrow morning in Germany. July 25th is the earliest I can pick up my car, so that's when I'm going to pick it up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: Euro Delivery?