SLK/R171: Euro Delivery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBZ SLK
Euro Delivery?

I just put my order in today for a 2006 Iridium Silver SLK 350 with Ash int., MT, AMG, Comfort, Trim, Premium, Entern w/ Nav., Lighting, and heating pkg. The code for the packages are still the same. Basically all the packages. I didn't tell him that I had Euro Delivery on mind. I wanted to see what kind of deal that he can give me. My sales person at Glauser Mercedes said I can get the first slot in June. He can give me $1000 discount and will probably be here sometime late July or early August.

Then I ask about euro delivery and he told me that for the max. discount that's the best route to take. 7% off MSRP, but the 2006 price is to be determine. Glauser will know the price for the 2006 models in couple of weeks. I had to pay $2000 deposit and $1200 for the Black Forest Alps Rally for a total of $3200 non-refunable deposit.

My questions for the folks who did Euro Delivery, any tips, things to do, things to avoid, things to see, etc... will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I will probably pick up the car in late August or early Sept, whenever my wife can get vacation. I'm very excited, this is the first time I'm ever this excited in purchasing a car.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:47 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
You will have a great time. Pack light though so you will be able to enjoy driving with the top down. Two airport legal carry on size wheeled suitcases are about all the trunk will hold.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:40 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
I just came back, and it was the trip of a lifetime. We drove all through Southern France-- Provence and the Cote d'Azure, and up through the Dordogne. 11 Days, but could have been at least a month. The 350SLK was very much the star of the show.

Here's my suggestions:

1. Buy the navigation system, even if you think you will never use it once you get home. It makes the trip! Especially if you're married (or partnered), and want to stay that way. You will see more (not get lost), be willing to try spur of the moment choices (and not get lost), and you will not spend half of your time with a map, arguing about undecipherable road signs in foreign languages. In Europe those roundabouts (traffic circles as the the Nav System lady refers to them) come up fast and frequently, and you do not have a lot of time to make a decision as to which spur to take going out. In addition (especially in France & Italy), the drivers behind you will come up and let you know that you are taking too long to make a decision. We hestitated for a long time before investing the money in the system (because I doubt I will use it much in the States). But there was not a day that went by that we did not thank our lucky stars that we had made that investment for the trip.

2. I saw the suggestion for two carry on bags. I will take that even further, and suggest you look at the uploaded pictures. (I uploaded two pics; I have no idea how to make them show up in the posting. When I click the "Insert Image icon, it comes back with "Enter the text to be formatted
[IMG]xxx[/IMG]" which is meaningless to me. And I run a website.) Hopefully they will show. If they do not, perhaps someone can tell me how, and I will add them to this thread.) One is with the special divider up, the other with it down. But remember that with the divider up, you cannot put the top down on the car, and that is half the fun of having a car like that in Europe. Not ALL carry on bags will fit. We bought three different models before the trip, took them to the MB dealer, and tried them out. We took the other two back. Two models that fit are 1. Rick Steves (ricksteves.com) bag (from Europe Through the Back Door; great guidebooks by the way), and 2. a cheaper bag from American Tourister available only at Walmart (I believe). A carry on from Victor Inox (Swiss Army Knife people), did not fit. With two bags like that, you have room for one small bag inbetween them, like a small laptop case. You then have VERY LITTLE room for souvenirs. There is virtually no room in the cabin itself. We bought two 3 bottle boxes of wine in Bordeaux, and had to drive all the way back to Paris with the top up because the special divider had to be up in the trunk to accommodate the boxes.

3. There have been several postings about the "D" sticker that they make you put on the car if you leave Germany. You have no place to stick it without adhering it to the paint, and I doubt you will want to do that. Remember that Sedans and Coupes can put them in the rear window for easy removal later. But if you want to drive with the top down, you'll need to find another solution. One option is to remove the license plate screw and push it back through the sticker (see posting by Motzkoman, although I cannot find it now). I happen to be in the label business, and brought along a piece of magnetic auto vinyl (usually available at sign shops), pasted the sticker onto it, cut it out, and then put that on the back of the car. Peels right off without hurting car, but stays on well enough even at high speeds. (Though not through car washes.)

4. Unless you can get the iPod option when you get it, be sure to put most of your favorite music onto a few MP3 CD's. You wont have a lot of room to carry regular CDs. We burned about 6 MP3's, played them in the dash player, and never ran out of music to play as we coursed through the French vinyards with the top down. (Although I have the CD change in the glove compartment, I only got it because we had to in order to get the Nav system; I plan to take it out when the iPod option becomes available as a retrofit; and the changer will not play MP3's anyway.)

5. If you can swing it, do it! It is a great way to buy a car like a 350SLK that has so much character on it's own. Just remember that, even staying within the break-in guidelines, you will never have the opportunity to drive your car in the United States like you can drive it in Europe. (The windy country roads are fantastic.) Also remember if driving in France: 1. All cars travel in pairs: The car in front, and the car trying to pass it. 2. While we have posted speed limits in the States, their signs are apparently suggested minimums. Stay in the right lane no matter how fast you are going; only use the left lane to pass. 3. A car like a 350 SLK, particularly speeding along on a country road, is a challenge to the very soul and spirit of any living Frenchman, whether they are driving a Ferrari, a Peugot, or a panel van. They will try to demonstrate their driving prowess about 10 feet from your tail, no matter how hard you push it. Give them a thrill. Push it a little. And then graciously acknowledge their skill by slowing down and cheerfully waving them by. You'll enjoy your trip more, and you will live longer.
Attached Thumbnails Euro Delivery?-dscn0254.jpg   Euro Delivery?-dscn0255.jpg  
Old 05-03-2005, 01:51 PM

'01 BMW e39 540i, '06 M-B R171 SLK55
Great down-to-earth advice, Maverick! Very informative and the pictures showed up just fine.

Now if only I had the time to take that euro delivery vacation...
Old 05-03-2005, 03:25 PM

I'll add one more item to my post:

6. Buy a manual for the 350SLK and a manual for the Command (Nav) system from your MB dealer before you go. You DO NOT GET ANY MANUALS with the car when they give it to you in Germany. Those are added in the US at the port of entry. If you do not do that, then you will be left with all kinds of questions after your technician at the factory has run through the basics with you while you are too excited to actually remember anything. Especially with the Nav system, it helps to have read it before the trip, and to have it to refer to during the trip. They will end up costing between $35 and $50 from your dealer (unless you can convince him to throw it in as part of the deal), but it is money well spent.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Dodge Hemi Magnum , SLK 350 soon
YNOT, I thought that the 7% discount did not apply to the SLK on Eurodelivery? Maybe they have changed that?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by SLK350Magnum
YNOT, I thought that the 7% discount did not apply to the SLK on Eurodelivery? Maybe they have changed that?
You are right. The discount for Euro delivery did not originally apply to the SLK. They instituted the 7% a few months ago. I think it was in February.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:20 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Talking Euro Delivery - JUST DO IT!!!

ynot:

I can only re-emphasize the post by maverick that it is a great experience. If you search some of my past posts, that info will come up. In the meantime, here is a link to a little quicktime movie to get you in the mood (quicktime player is free for the mac or PC at apple.com):

https://home.comcast.net/~motzko/Auto.mov

Enjoy...
Old 05-03-2005, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Smile

North, Motz, and Maverick, thanks for all the good advice..

Originally Posted by Maverick
I just came back, and it was the trip of a lifetime. We drove all through Southern France-- Provence and the Cote d'Azure, and up through the Dordogne. 11 Days, but could have been at least a month. The 350SLK was very much the star of the show.

Here's my suggestions:

1. Buy the navigation system, even if you think you will never use it once you get home. It makes the trip! Especially if you're married (or partnered), and want to stay that way.
Lol. Yes, I would like to stay married.. I originally did not want the Nav but after reading about the Euro Delivery I decided to order it.

2. I saw the suggestion for two carry on bags. I will take that even further, and suggest you look at the uploaded pictures.
That's very informative, pictures always helps, if you don't mind do you have the dimensions? I travel quite a bit and have luggage in all different sizes and shapes and don't want to add more to my collection if it's not necessary. I look at the trunk space Monday and it looks like it only fit duffle bags.

3. There have been several postings about the "D" sticker that they make you put on the car if you leave Germany. You have no place to stick it without adhering it to the paint, and I doubt you will want to do that.
Sorry but I'm still a little confused, mind posting a pic?

1. All cars travel in pairs: The car in front, and the car trying to pass it. 2. While we have posted speed limits in the States, their signs are apparently suggested minimums. Stay in the right lane no matter how fast you are going; only use the left lane to pass. 3. A car like a 350 SLK, particularly speeding along on a country road, is a challenge to the very soul and spirit of any living Frenchman, whether they are driving a Ferrari, a Peugot, or a panel van. They will try to demonstrate their driving prowess about 10 feet from your tail, no matter how hard you push it. Give them a thrill. Push it a little. And then graciously acknowledge their skill by slowing down and cheerfully waving them by. You'll enjoy your trip more, and you will live longer.
Great advice..
Old 05-03-2005, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
I'll add one more item to my post:

6. Buy a manual for the 350SLK and a manual for the Command (Nav) system from your MB dealer before you go. You DO NOT GET ANY MANUALS with the car when they give it to you in Germany. Those are added in the US at the port of entry. If you do not do that, then you will be left with all kinds of questions after your technician at the factory has run through the basics with you while you are too excited to actually remember anything. Especially with the Nav system, it helps to have read it before the trip, and to have it to refer to during the trip. They will end up costing between $35 and $50 from your dealer (unless you can convince him to throw it in as part of the deal), but it is money well spent.
Thanks for the heads up, I thought they give you an extra at the delivery center, that's what I've read anyways.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK

I didn't think so either, MBusa.com said the 7% does not apply to the SLK 350, the brochure I got from Glauser, dated in 2004 said it doesn't apply either. But Slylander from benzworld.org said he know's somebody from Mercedes and that it does.

I called my sales person and he confirmed.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 AM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Originally Posted by Ynot
Thanks for the heads up, I thought they give you an extra at the delivery center, that's what I've read anyways.
I actually got an extra manual for the car at my Euro delivery without asking...if you want an electronic pdf version (2005), just email me and I will send it to you, but it is about 4 MB+ ...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
If you don't mind, I'll take it.

Thanks,

I'll PM you with my email address.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:31 AM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Check These Out

Also, here are some of my past posts on Euro Delivery...

Euro delivery
https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171/86201-10-1-european-delivery-route-driven-pictures.html

Luggage
https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171/82182-trunk-space-suitcase.html

Euro delivery questions
https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171/98414-questions-euro-delivery.html

Old 05-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Almost a Member!

My question is this, Why pay the extra $1200 for the Black Forest option? Is it a better deal for an additional 2 nights lodging for 2 people? Seems like it may be more economical to wing it and if one wishes, just follow the same path the BF journey entails. What am I missing here?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:29 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
My question is this, Why pay the extra $1200 for the Black Forest option? Is it a better deal for an additional 2 nights lodging for 2 people? Seems like it may be more economical to wing it and if one wishes, just follow the same path the BF journey entails. What am I missing here?
When I went, we did wing it and had no problems. I was born and partially raised in Germany and speak the language, so that helps...depends on your comfort level with foreign travel...
Old 05-04-2005, 03:45 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Thumbs up Route Taken on Euro Delivery

Here is a link to the prior post I did withe route we took on our October '04 Euro delivery:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86201

Old 05-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Motzkoman,excellent info as usual! I'm crazy about Coo Coo clocks. so one more bit of info if you can, Say I go to Titisee and find a CooCoo clock I gotta have, do you have them ship or what is the best way to get it back to the US?..Not to mention any other stuff one may purchase while touring while not having sufficient room to lug these acquisitions around. Suggestions?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Motzkoman,excellent info as usual! I'm crazy about Coo Coo clocks. so one more bit of info if you can, Say I go to Titisee and find a CooCoo clock I gotta have, do you have them ship or what is the best way to get it back to the US?..Not to mention any other stuff one may purchase while touring while not having sufficient room to lug these acquisitions around. Suggestions?
SLK350Magnum,
We actually brought a small one back for our granddaughter and had room with the luggage. If you do run out of room or want larger items, most places there in the black forest are set up to ship as well...

Maverick has some great pictures about trunk space utilization up earlier in this thread and my past post on the subject is at:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82182

I have also attahced another photo taken on our Euro trip...
Attached Thumbnails Euro Delivery?-slktrunk.jpg  
Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW Z3 S/C & 99 Mroadster
about how long do i need to give them to build it? I have to work around a deployment schedule so i need to plan a year in advance.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:32 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Time to build isn't too long; in my case, the gating factor was when US models were being built and where on the list I was. I locked mine in around beginning of June for a 10/1 pick-up, but I would imagine the wait would not be as long now. Also remember that with a Euro delivery, the final payment must be made here at the dealer 30 days before the pickup in Europe...
Old 05-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Almost a Member!

hows the final payment work? can you lease? buy? finance?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:45 PM

The dimensions of the American Tourister Meridian IV Expandable 21" upright carry on are: 21" high, 7" thick, 14" wide.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:04 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Originally Posted by J10B
hows the final payment work? can you lease? buy? finance?
J10B
I am not sure, since I just paid cash...but maybe some others will respond that used other means...
Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Almost a Member!

i'm 27 i dont want to lose that big of chunk when I could be doing something a lot better with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: Euro Delivery?