SLK/R171: Lowering Suspension on the SLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Infiniti QX4, 2005 SLK350
Lowering Suspension on the SLK

Howdy Fellow MBWorld fans,
I was just testing the waters to see what others have to say on this topic.

I was going to install Brabus lowering springs on my SLK350 (w/AMG package) this weekend. I currently do not have any struts to match. Has anyone else installed springs only onto their cars? If so, has there been any issues with the stock struts with the aftermarket springs? I'm sure the mechanical life of them will be diminished a bit, but should I be okay for atleast 6 months or so?

What do people recommend me replacing my OEM struts with to make a perfect match with the Brabus springs? Any idea on price and where I can find them at?

Happy Driving All,
MB-Joe
Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, there is no need to change the shocks if you are getting QUALITY springs (such as Brabus). The shocks' life expectancy will not dropped significantly. But if you really want to change the shocks, why dont you get Brabus shocks? Their shocks should be perfectly matched with their springs. I am planning to put the 55 springs on the car (no shocks). Frankly, you should be fine with springs only.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:24 PM

Question

Are the 55 springs equivalent to the AMG spings option on the base SLK?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Harris,

Have you heard of Intrax? Are they any good? Here's their website.

http://www.drivewire.com/performance...ngsprings.html

I've also heard eibach springs are much softer then H&R, is that true? I'm most likely going to lower my SLK, unless the AMG springs are low enough, I doubt it. Your help is appreciated.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ynot
Harris,

Have you heard of Intrax? Are they any good? Here's their website.

http://www.drivewire.com/performance...ngsprings.html

I've also heard eibach springs are much softer then H&R, is that true? I'm most likely going to lower my SLK, unless the AMG springs are low enough, I doubt it. Your help is appreciated.
I do not have any experience with Intrax springs. I opt not to comment on things that I dont know.

Yes, Eibach springs are softer than H&R, also wont lower as much as H&R. I dont like H&R springs because I think they dont match well with MB or AMG shocks.

There is a special reason for me to get AMG springs: the AMG springs are 3/4" lower than the stock shocks, which is good enough for my wife. She doesnt allow me to make her car to look as aggressive as mine. So, I have to do all these mods in the most subtle way. Another reason is a majority of the 55 owners are happy with their AMG suspensions.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Harris
I do not have any experience with Intrax springs. I opt not to comment on things that I dont know.

Yes, Eibach springs are softer than H&R, also wont lower as much as H&R. I dont like H&R springs because I think they dont match well with MB or AMG shocks.

There is a special reason for me to get AMG springs: the AMG springs are 3/4" lower than the stock shocks, which is good enough for my wife. She doesnt allow me to make her car to look as aggressive as mine. So, I have to do all these mods in the most subtle way. Another reason is a majority of the 55 owners are happy with their AMG suspensions.
Harris,

Do you have the MB part no. for the AMG springs ? My MB dealer cannot locate the exact part no.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Thanks Harris, do you happened to know the cost of eibach springs and how much it'll drop the slk with the AMG package. 3/4" drop of the AMG springs is a little too conservative for me. I want a more aggressive look. Haven't seen a SLK w/ AMG pkg yet, maybe I'll stick with the AMG springs if eibach doesn't drop it much more.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 261 Likes on 154 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Spring part numbers

I think you will be surprised at how many different part numbers there are for the springs on the SLK models. You really need to provide a VIN # to get the exact part numbers for the springs. They are option dependent. So any option that adds some level of weight (I don't know the threshhold) will result in a different spring number. I think there are about 15 different part numbers for the front springs and at least 3 for the rear springs.

Originally Posted by slkfans
Harris,

Do you have the MB part no. for the AMG springs ? My MB dealer cannot locate the exact part no.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:21 AM

2005 SLK350 (R171)
slkfans ,
I might add the same exhaust you have. I'd appreciate some tips about it. (like how to cut the rear pannel for the fittment and how to make the edge neat.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by stjoons
slkfans ,
I might add the same exhaust you have. I'd appreciate some tips about it. (like how to cut the rear pannel for the fittment and how to make the edge neat.
stjoons,

The AMG Quad Exhaust comes with an adhesive template to allow you to trim the rear bumper to accommodate the double tail pipes on each side. It is rather easy to manage that unless you are equipped with the tools. Take a look at this link, there are some tips on the triming of the rear bumper.

http://www.agentur-piecha.de/auspuff...-auspuff-m.htm

Good luck !
Old 05-22-2005, 08:14 AM

SLK55
Thanks Harris, do you happened to know the cost of eibach springs and how much it'll drop the slk with the AMG package. 3/4" drop of the AMG springs is a little too conservative for me. I want a more aggressive look. Haven't seen a SLK w/ AMG pkg yet, maybe I'll stick with the AMG springs if eibach doesn't drop it much more.
Try here.
and here.
Apparently Eibach does not distribute Mercedes products in the states.
Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:24 AM

Ynot,

I got the Eibach springs fitted into my SLK and the drop is approx. 25 mm to 30mm. The ride wasn't too hard, much decent and better handling obviously than the stock ones. I got a screenshot after having the Eibach springs installed.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:30 AM

ML 320 CDI
If I were you, I would stick to Brabus.

Their products are always top quality, they fit perfectly and they have a good warranty. Plus, since they test hard all their products under many conditions, you'll feel just like if you have bought your car with a MB sport suspension.

No need to search more.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
I love it :)

slkfans,

I love the agressive look, very, very nice, I'm considering lowering my SLK too when I get it of course.

You have one of the best looking SLK's on this forum.