SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Oil Burners lets band together

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Burners lets band together

Ok, I am getting mad now. My car has burned 4.5 quarts of oil in 2100 miles. You would think it is a 2 stoke. It smokes like one at start up. One do not think the dip stick is at all acurate on these cars.
Oil light came on at 1350 miles. Stick showed oil down to the bottom of the red dumbell or barbell on the stick. I added 1 quart of oil let the car sit an hour and checked. Oil level came up to just cover the top of the barbell which i would concider full.
I checked it at 1700 miles and it showed about 3/4 up the skinny part below the barbell. I would call it down a 1/4 quart. At 2000 miles on Sunday it was below halfway. Wife drives to dealer for under 3000 inspection and to check oil consumption and white smoke at start up. Dealer say he needed to add 3.5 quarts!!!!! Something is not right here!!!! How can that be. To me the dip stick is not at all accurate or the dealer over filled it. Wife is picking it up tomorrow since I am out of town. Told her to let it sit for 30 minutes and to have them check the oil and to show her where it is on the stick!!! Want to see where they say full is and to make sure they did not over fill it! We will need to bring it back in 800 to 1000 miles to check the comsumption. Service manager knows its an oil burner already and is talking about a new motor. There is no way I will except a replacement motor in a brand new car. There would be an easy $5000 hit for having a non-original motor at trade in. Who do they thing is going to eat that. Not me thats for sure. Never mind the dealer guys now installing a new motor on a car they have hardly ever seen. When my tranny crapped out at 800 miles mines was the first car they ever used there new tranny machine on to check for codes. Heaven forbid that they would actually check the oil at that time. I will do what they want but I also want a call from the local MB rep and a straight answer on what is going on with these engines. Has it been fixed? What exactly was the problem? and what are they planning to do about this lemon. Overall I love the car and want another one if the problem was fixed. I will give MB a chance to do the right thing which is only fair. This is now bevcoming one big hassle and consuming to much time and energy. They better do right or look for me on 60 minutes in the near future. Who else is having this problem? Who has had a new car ordered for them? Who has had an engine replaced? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:07 AM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
I had a 2001 Z06 that was an oil burner. Chebby recognized the problem as rings with too low a spring rate and replaced them under warranty after an oil consumption test. Hopefully MB will come through for you. I am having NO problems with oil burning on my 55. I have 9,000 miles on it.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Dodge Hemi Magnum , SLK 350 soon
What's that smell? Oil burning or do I smell lemon law? This has to be a big dissapointment. The problem with this type of thing is the time lost involved in getting it fixed, back and forth to dealer,losing trust in product, hasseling dealer and MB and on and on...Give 'em hell and don't let up until you get satisfaction. But I know...What a Hassle...They should pay you for your time and grief.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
Why don't you spend your time at the dealer getting a solution, instead of starting a million threads on the very same thing?

On what planet are you going to lose 5000 on a trade in for having a dealer put a factory engine in under warranty?

You know what, why don't you just get a lawyer and pay him and see how far you get? Nowhere fast!!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:46 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Is the dealership suspicious that you have had both tranny problems and engine problems on the same new car? I assume they have already grilled you on whether you complied with the break-in recommendations. My guess is they probably have a private eye doing surveillance on your driving habits! (Lame attempt at a "private eye")

Last edited by northbenz; 05-26-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:25 AM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
redvettx2 ...or xJagman as the post is copied on another forum...just curious, why the two identities...
Old 05-27-2005, 10:03 AM

Have 2 different names just set them up at different times. I got a case started today by MB. I have driven the car maybe 200 miles. The wifes drives the car and is a very conservative driver. The car was broken in properly and at 2100 miles it should be through that period. The dealer added 3.5 quarts to the car. I get home last night and check the oil and it is over the top of the stick actually showing on the cable!!! I called MB and have an official case going now. I know where the oil level was when I left town sunday and it was down about 3/4 of quart. I know from where it was when I had to add a quart last time at 1350 miles. The oil light came on as my wife drove it to the dealer. I could not figure how it needed 3.5 quarts of oil!!! I figure it is burning a quart every 1000 miles not every 400. Now either MB roadside is coming to me or i have to got back to a dealer. My dealer is 1.5 hours away and on a holiday weekend i was planning on splashing my boat and not dealing with my wifes new car. There aa dealer closer I can go and have check the oil level and verify what the level is. The MB tech person I talked to said the car should have been drained and then the oil premeasured and verified then added to the car. After 600 miles it is drained and remeasured to see the amount of oil that was consumed. shoulds like the right thing to do so you know exactly were you start and end. So the bottom line is that did not follow MB's procedure so I am wasting my time. They dealer is talking engine swap and they can even fill the oil correctly!!! If you have no idea how much oil is in the car how do they think they can determine how much oil it has used? Now that MB is officially involved I feel much better. This is a big hassel now and not something I enjoy. I travel for a leaving and this is the last headache i needed. I bought my wife the car she wanted and i figured going with my first MB was a good move. Safe, solid and reliable. Now I am rethinking my purchase. If I bought a Chevy my buddy is a dealer and I know i would be taken care of. He even provides a nice loaner when my vet was in the shop which was only once. In fact my vets and chevy trucks required no trips to the shop. In 2100 miles mine has been in 4 times and needs 2 more trips in. One time it was towed in because the tranny gave up 4 miles from the dealership. Of course they never even looked at the oil when they had it for service that time. It sure not pretty. Very disappointing and frustrating. We love the car and just want the problems to go away. But i have a feeling it is going to be a while. I am posting these issues because others are going to have the same things to deal with and we need to all know what the problem is and what is the solution. A person who had just got back from training with MB posted that this engine was a hot topic. MB does not know why they are burning oil or has a solution at this point. Why would I put another engine in if it could also be bad. If you know anything about cars and resale values go tell a dealer your car had a engine swap at see what happens to the value. Look at classic cars with NOM and with original motors and look at the difference in value then run your big mouth. In a classic vet it can be as much as 50K in value difference. I bought a german enginered and built car, know they want som local yahoos who can't even fill the oil correctly to do a motor swap. Can you say on going problems, rattles, etc. Have you ever done a motor swap. I have in my offshore boat and you better get someone who knows what they are doing. How many engine swaps on the this type car do you think this dealer has done. Zero would be the answer. Get my point. The 502 HO Mag in my boat would a piece of cake to swap as compared to the high tech 6 cramed into the SLK. For those of you who say its no big deal lets swap cars and see how happy you would be.
Not very I am sure.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Have you contacted MBUSA directly on this problem? If so, what was their response? I have seen the thread you started on the ML forum and having a R350 on order with a build in September, I am concerned and interested in what MBUSA told you, not the dealer.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:13 PM

They are involved. The dealer and myself both contacted them. I will not here for anyone till next week now. Roadside service is coming by in the morning to check it out. I think one problem may be reading the level consistantly. In the middle yesterday over the top today. Another on the other form said he has seen that his car too. Too weird. I knew adding 3.5 quarts was too much. It has not been burning that much , you would see it.
I did confirm the oil light should come on when you are down 1 quart. Mine has come on twice. That time 5 miles from the dealer where they add 3.5 quarts. Asked where the paper work was today on the work done. Of course
they gave the wife none. Great. Everything would be logged in you would think. i wil try to get copies or the print out.