SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: 350Z. Boxter, Audi TT, Lexus.. etc.. Why SLK 350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Hemi Magnum , SLK 350 soon
350Z. Boxter, Audi TT, Lexus.. etc.. Why SLK 350?

Just Curious, Why you went with the SLK350?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Cuz none of the others have a tri-star?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Well, Yes, and aaahhh what?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:37 PM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Because none of the others offer a roadster/coupe and that is what I wanted.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:00 PM

SLK55 AMG, HYABUSA 1300R
Ur Point

OK so if he wanted the SLK350 its a Mercedes thats all it matters :p
Old 05-15-2005, 08:00 PM

The Boxter is very small on the interior and only has a cloth top and the look is becoming very dated. My buddy has one and its ok but it does not do anything for me visually. The Audi also only has a rag top and and has been around for awhile know also. I live in the pacific northwest and had to have a retractable hard top period. The Lexus is just plain ugly in my opinion and not very sporty looking and again it has been around for sometime now. As far as the 350, I liked everything about it. Plus it is a fresh new design and just plain turns heads everywhere you go. With a few simple dress up items many people think is an SLR. Beside thats what the wife wanted and I liked it also. The more I drive it the more I love it. Beside if I get the wife what she wants she does not say a word when I add to my toy collection.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:33 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
OK. I'll put my opinions in (and they are just that, opinions):

I have had two ragtops. The 350SLK folding hardtop was a difficult advantage for any of the other cars to overcome. (I also live in the rainy Northwest.)

350Z: I used to have a 280ZX, and it was the best car I ever owned (kept it for 14 years). But while I kind of like the look of the 350Z coupe, the roadster looks like an afterthought design. ("Oh look. I suppose we could also cut the top off and make a roadster.") I did not drive one, but sat in one at a car show. It felt a little cheap on the inside.

Boxster: Checked with my insurance agent. The 350SLK will be about $430/6 months. Boxster would be $1120/6 months. I sat it one (but never drove one). It was very uncomfortable. My wife rides in one frequently with her friend. She says it is windy with the top down, and you cannot carry on a non-shouting conversation.

Audi: Hard interiors. Unusual "campy" look that I think will get dated quickly (as opposed to the classic sports car look of the 350SLK or Honda 2000S.)

Honda: Not nearly as much car, but if I were much younger, and could not afford the 350SLK, that would have been my choice.

BMW Z4: Drove one. It was lots of fun, but again I think the looks will get dated fast.

Lexus: Ughhh! Looks like a squashed VW Bug with its top cut off. I drove one: It feels like a very solid sedan, even when the folding hard top is down. (So at least it has a folding hard top.) Just does not feel like a sports car. And all that for just $80,000.

And did I mention the folding hard top of the 350SLK?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:53 PM

Hey Mavrick, Fill out your sig so we know what your driving. Gig Harbor here.
Who is your dealer? Phil Smart? I also had a 280zx for years and also loved that car. Mine was a black 2+2 with tan leather. Bought it right out of collage and drove to cali. put 120K on it till my GF overheated it one day and warped the heads. Put low mileage used Jap replacement motor but it was never the same. Traded it for an MR2 had the wedge and then the newer MR2 Turbo. I looked at the 350Z also but it was load and had no room and the ride was very rough. We bought G35 Infinti Coupe which looked good but was also kinda of loud inside , interior was plasticy and the ride was way harsher then the 350. Only kept it a year. Wife wrecked it. Hit the back of a Dodge Durrango. It had $400 dollars damage the G35 22K ouch. Fixed it but it was not right so we traded it for the SLK. We are very happy with the SLK except for the possible oil consumption problem of a quart per 1300 miles.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:59 PM

SLK 350 AMG
350Z: The front half of it looks cool; the back half looks like they weren't sure how to finish it off.

BOXTER: You either like or hate the look of Porsches. Personally, I have always hated their shape, and wouldn't want one even if it was free - and they also sound like sowing machines.

AUDI: Not quite sporty enough; too much like a sedan with the top cut off

HONDA: The S2000 is my favorite sports car; just a little underpowered, and lacking in final finish; you have to buy a lot of aftermarket add-ons to make it special.

BMW Z4: Dated from the day it came out.

LEXUS: Too much like an old man's snob car. To me, people who drive them actually look ridiculous (Although I'm not sure why).

SLK350/AMG: Just a classy looking SPORTS car. The design is awesome - as you can tell by the admiring looks it gets. Powerful and well finished. Pity it's $10-15,000 overpriced.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:45 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Originally Posted by redvettx2
Hey Maverick, Fill out your sig so we know what your driving. Gig Harbor here.
Who is your dealer? Phil Smart?
Up in Edmonds. 350SLK Mars Red w Tan Interiors. Most accessories except the AMG package. But the whole thing is still on the boat back from Europe after a great ED trip.

As to dealers, I invite you to see my post about Phil Smart and Barrier under the European Delivery 7% Discount thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171/97605-slk350-european-delivery-now-7-off.html . I ended up buying from MB of Tacoma, which as you know is as far south of Seattle as we are North. Yet I refuse to go the Phil Smart or Barrier, even thought they are both less than half as far. I plan on taking it to Tacoma for service as well. Hopefully it will not be a frequent occurence.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
you should throw the G35 into there...i think it looks a lot nicer than the 350Z, plus it has four seats. i'd still go with SLK though
Old 05-16-2005, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
In addition, check out this thing - http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....18&src=finance

Out of the sports cars, SLK holds its value the best. Seriously, its crazy...one dealer around here is selling a USED one with 3,200 miles for only $2,000 less than a brand new one that would be delivered at the end of june.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Yep and you don't hear rock stars singing about 350Z, Boxster, Audi TT, and Lexus

"her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got a Lexus" doesn't sound right at all
Old 05-16-2005, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
hahaha, i love that song

was lexus even around at the time of the eagles??
Old 05-16-2005, 01:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Lexus was 1988 IIRC.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:55 AM

Thanks Mavrick. I read your post regarding the dealers. I went to Barrier first and test drove a car. i could have made a better deal on my trade-in there but they did not have the car we wanted. No heated seats or air scarf. I called Tacoma because they are closest to me. would love to have purchased there but that had no 350's and were very vague as to what was coming in. Then they told me I could order one and have it in 2 weeks!!!!
And Santa Clause is coming next week too. I hung up and was called back saying it would be 6 weeks, another lie. From what I hear from everyone else
it is more like 12 weeks if you are lucky. I did not want to wait until Aug. to hopefully get the car. Phil Smart had the car we wanted so I moved on it fast. It was still in plastic and there was some concern it was pre sold. I made the offer and got what we wanted. Problem now is I think I got an oil burner .
Old 05-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Almost a Member!

To date and after numerous test drives from Crossfire (not even close,) 350 Z, Boxter, the Z4 3Liter was the closest as for fun and performance and appearance however It is so close in price to the SLK that it can't be justified. Yes being an MB, with hardtop and all the bells that come with it I say that puts it a unique position. and I think resale is higher than most, perhaps the Porsche would also maintain good resale over the others.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:13 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
Originally Posted by redvettx2
Thanks Mavrick. I read your post regarding the dealers. I went to Barrier first and test drove a car. i could have made a better deal on my trade-in there but they did not have the car we wanted. No heated seats or air scarf. I called Tacoma because they are closest to me. would love to have purchased there but that had no 350's and were very vague as to what was coming in. Then they told me I could order one and have it in 2 weeks!!!!
And Santa Clause is coming next week too. I hung up and was called back saying it would be 6 weeks, another lie. From what I hear from everyone else
it is more like 12 weeks if you are lucky. I did not want to wait until Aug. to hopefully get the car. Phil Smart had the car we wanted so I moved on it fast. It was still in plastic and there was some concern it was pre sold. I made the offer and got what we wanted. Problem now is I think I got an oil burner .
Good to hear good things about the dealer. Last year I was visiting a daughter and went to a classic car race. Phil Smart sponsered it and you could drive/ride around the track.
Interesting I had a long conversation concerning the new SLK and got more from them than any other dealer I spoke to.
Ended up deciding to buy the SLK and am VERY happy (not from them but at least the guys were honest and helpful... word travels, good to hear)
Old 05-24-2005, 06:21 PM

2005 SLK350
Originally Posted by Maverick
350Z: I used to have a 280ZX, and it was the best car I ever owned (kept it for 14 years). But while I kind of like the look of the 350Z coupe, the roadster looks like an afterthought design. ("Oh look. I suppose we could also cut the top off and make a roadster.") I did not drive one, but sat in one at a car show. It felt a little cheap on the inside.
The 350Z Roadster not only looks like an afterthought, it handles like an afterthought too. They did a horrible job in the conversion, because the original relies a lot on roof bracing for bodyroll control. I was on the waitlist for one after driving the coupe, but quickly ended that deal after I drove the first roadster. Night and day difference in handling.

And yeah, Z4 just didn't feel right for me, TT is old and doesn't handle like a sports car, S2000 is a teenager's car (and I eat one for breakfast every morning on the way to work), SC430 handles like a sedan and it's expensive.

The boxster isn't a bad choice if you can deal with a soft top, but every time I see one I think "CHEAP Porsche", even if it does run into the $60s for an S... I guess I just can't get over the stigma of it being the cheapest car in the lineup (unless you count VWs ).
Old 05-25-2005, 09:22 AM

SLK 55 AMG
The Vario roof says it all, most of those other cars only have a soft top.

The Lexus is not very pretty IMO, and I don't want the extra rear seats, I prefer my car a roadster with only 2 seats. Also the reason why a Peugeot 206 CC is way out of the league (not to mention that it's one of the crappiest cars I've driven in the past few years).

And finally, I LOVE the MB brand, and the look of the new SLK
Old 05-25-2005, 09:36 AM

05 CLK 320
mercedes slk350 rules nothing will come close
Old 05-29-2005, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Right, plus Benz is high quality and very reliable car. For example 90% of Lexus SC have torque converter problems.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:14 PM

Yesterday, I was stopped at a stop sign and a very attractive woman and her daughter were crossing in front of me. They stopped momentarily and the woman said "that sure is a beautiful car". I said "thank you". It took me about an hour to wipe the stupid grin off of my face. That's why I bought the car.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:45 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dema
Right, plus Benz is high quality and very reliable car. For example 90% of Lexus SC have torque converter problems.
Dema, you've posted this twice now. Where in the world do you make up statistics like that? I had a SC430 for 4 years. Not one single problem. I was active on the boards that whole time. There is no "90%" SCs with Torque Converter problems. Besides, SC430 is again at the top of the list of the car with the LEAST amount of problems. That doesn't happen with a "90%" problem.

Sharing opinions is good, making up facts doesn't help anyone, on any subject, on any board.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:51 PM

2005 SLK350
i was gonna say that too... im sure lexus has a lot less quality issues than mb as pointed out by just about every, if not all, consumer reports out there

i would still get a mb over lexus tho just personal preference

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: 350Z. Boxter, Audi TT, Lexus.. etc.. Why SLK 350?