SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Trunk Space

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 01:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Question Trunk Space

I am going to pick up my 350 in 2 months and I'd like to know what I can fit in the trunk, but no dealer has any 171s for me to measure.

Does anyone have any measurements of the dimensions of the trunk or any other useful way to estimate what I can fit in there for the trip?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
I have attached two pictures of what we carried in Europe: One with the trunk compartment separator up, and one with it down. We took two carry on bags, and a laptop case. That's pretty much it, if you want to put the top down (and why would you not if you are going to be there in 2 months!)

NOT ALL CARRY ON BAGS WILL FIT! If you cannot get to a 171 before your trip, then I recommend you only buy a bag that someone has proven will fit. We brought three different bags to the dealer to try out before we committed to a type of bag. One of the three did not fit (I believe it was the Swiss Army one.) The measurement from the front to back of the trunk is the critical measurment (height of bag when standing up.) It is 21", but it is not even across the width of the trunk. Our bags had to be put in just the right way.

The two that I know will fit are the Rick Steves wheeled bag (http://travelstore.ricksteves.com), and an American Tourister bag that is sold through Walmart (much less expensive, but it did not appear as durable). We opted for the Rick Steves bags. (Check for previous posts from Motzkoman. I believe he had the American Tourister.)

Whatever you do, do not show up at the factory with unproven (i.e. not known to fit) luggage. There is no room to stash anything in the cabin of the car. Good luck. Pack light. You'll love the trip.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Space-dscn0254.jpg   Trunk Space-dscn0255.jpg  

Last edited by Maverick; 06-28-2005 at 04:29 AM. Reason: URL Change
Old 06-28-2005, 04:58 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
You can buy tailored cases which will fit exactly, from a German company called Roadster-Concept. They sell on eBay (search for roadsterbag slk r171). I paid 120 Euros which is about $150 so they aren't cheap. However, they do give you the maximum amount of luggage capacity and they are of good quality.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Golf bag with clubs will fit however the Driver will not - it's too long.

That should give you an idea.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:31 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I take the woods out of my bag and it fits. However, the driver needs a slight bend in the shaft.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:50 AM

2005 SLK350
same for me too... i used standard length golf clubs, and the driver will not fit in the trunk, but some of my woods will with a slight bend
Old 06-30-2005, 12:59 PM

Thanks to all

Originally Posted by steve-p
You can buy tailored cases which will fit exactly, from a German company called Roadster-Concept. They sell on eBay (search for roadsterbag slk r171). I paid 120 Euros which is about $150 so they aren't cheap.
I found the Roadster site, but nothing on e-bay or any other way to buy these things.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
My woods will fit but just not the driver - I'm don't want to be bending the shaft of a $600 driver just to "MAKE" it fit in the trunk.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:28 PM

2006 SLK350
Roadster Concept

Originally Posted by steve-p
You can buy tailored cases which will fit exactly, from a German company called Roadster-Concept. They
Great info.
What are the outer dimensions of these bags?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:25 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vodil
Great info.
What are the outer dimensions of these bags?
I've just measured one and it's 550mm x 410mm x 290mm, or 21.5" x 16" x 11.5". I should maybe point out that while I have the bags, I don't have the car yet to make sure they fit! It's been built and is sitting at the factory in Bremen but I'm not collecting it for another 6 weeks.

According to the information on the internet about carryon bag sizes, the total dimensions should not exceed 115cm/45" and they are over by 4", or 22" x 16" x 8", so slightly too large. However, unless they are being really strict I can't see a problem so I'm going to try taking them in the cabin when I fly to Bremen.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:35 PM

05 SLK55AMG
I have a Taylormade R5 driver that fits in the trunk with the top cover pulled down. I place the head on the right side toward the front lower section of the trunk with the handle toward the back top left. There is a slight notch that you can slide the very end into (adds about 1 inch in length and means you don't have to bend the shaft). Top works fine.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:25 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Nav DVD Box in trunk

If one has ordered the Nav system does it impede the space required to place two carryon suitcases in the trunk? I checked out the two bags I intend to take with a R171 at the dealership and they fit OK, but the car did not have the Nav DVD player in the trunk. I'm trying to recall where the Nav DVD box is located in the trunk and hopefully it is in a rear corner and out of the way of where two suitcases would fit.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by northbenz
If one has ordered the Nav system does it impede the space required to place two carryon suitcases in the trunk? I checked out the two bags I intend to take with a R171 at the dealership and they fit OK, but the car did not have the Nav DVD player in the trunk. I'm trying to recall where the Nav DVD box is located in the trunk and hopefully it is in a rear corner and out of the way of where two suitcases would fit.
I believe the NAV system is mounted in the center of the trunk toward the top.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:24 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Thanks re location of dvd nav player in trunk

If that is correct then it appears that the dvd box is the square object one can see in the lst photo on this thread. In the photo it looks like it might not even be intruding into the otherwise available trunk space?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Almost a Member!

If that is correct then it appears that the dvd box is the square object one can see in the lst photo on this thread. In the photo it looks like it might not even be intruding into the otherwise available trunk space?
Yes, you are correct. I looked at one at the dealer the other day and it is mounted just like the first photo.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:17 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Yes. Those are my pics, and I do have the NAV system (something I heartily recommend for any European delivery). The DVD of the NAV system is pretty much flush with the back of the trunk, in the middle, and up above the level of the pull down trunk separator that has to be in the down position to put the top down. So if your bags fit with the separator down, the NAV system should not make a difference.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 AM

Which Fits?

Dear Vodil,

I am bringing in a variety of M-B luggage. The purpose of this exercise is to determine exactly what fits in the SLK trunk. Should be able to post results sometime during the week of 7/25/05
Old 07-29-2005, 10:45 PM

2006 SLK350
Sideways

Originally Posted by Maverick
I have attached two pictures of what we carried in Europe: One with the trunk compartment separator up, and one with it down. We took two carry on bags, and a laptop case. That's pretty much it, if you want to put the top down (and why would you not if you are going to be there in 2 months!)

NOT ALL CARRY ON BAGS WILL FIT! If you cannot get to a 171 before your trip, then I recommend you only buy a bag that someone has proven will fit. We brought three different bags to the dealer to try out before we committed to a type of bag. One of the three did not fit (I believe it was the Swiss Army one.) The measurement from the front to back of the trunk is the critical measurment (height of bag when standing up.) It is 21", but it is not even across the width of the trunk. Our bags had to be put in just the right way.

The two that I know will fit are the Rick Steves wheeled bag (http://travelstore.ricksteves.com), and an American Tourister bag that is sold through Walmart (much less expensive, but it did not appear as durable). We opted for the Rick Steves bags. (Check for previous posts from Motzkoman. I believe he had the American Tourister.)

Whatever you do, do not show up at the factory with unproven (i.e. not known to fit) luggage. There is no room to stash anything in the cabin of the car. Good luck. Pack light. You'll love the trip.
Lots of these carry-on bags are 14" wide. I believe you can get 14.5" vertically. Has anyone tried putting these bags on their side?
Old 04-21-2023, 09:23 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Maverick

I realize this is a long shot, but do you remember which bags of Rick Steves you had? He seems to have a selection that may not have been there when you got yours.? Thanks