SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: MB SLK vs Z4 from an owner of both (long!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55, Infiniti M45 Sport
MB SLK vs Z4 from an owner of both (long!)

Someone was asking for a SLK vs Z4 comparison on a bimmer board, so here's my 2 cents. (http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e85/7204667-2.html was the original thread). This is a long post, you've been warned. (Also posted on their forum, http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e85/7277091-1.html)

I had an MZ3 and I bought a Z4 3.0 when they first came out, and just bought an SLK55 a month ago as I was tired of waiting for the MZ4 and it doesn't have a V8.

I'll try to be as fair and unbiased as possible.

I loved the Z4 for the short time I had it. I got one right when they first came out, put about 2000 miles on it, then my girlfriend took it over a cliff. (She was not injured, and was NOT at fault, car was totalled, and now we're married).

I really really wanted an MZ4 at that time, and I've been whining for BMW to make one literally for years, but it's just too little, too late, and I went for the SLK55.

After the Z4 3.0, I wanted more power. So I picked up a Corvette Z06 C5. It was quick, but I wanted more, so I supercharged it with an ATI twin intercooled blower, and got her up to 700hp.

Of course after having an MZ3 and then the Z4, I missed having a convertible, so I picked up a Lexus SC430. Drove the Z06 some days, drove the SC430 most of the time. What I really wanted was a hybrid of the two, and that didn't exist at the time (2 years ago). Now we have the SLK55, the MZ4, and the XLR-V, all of which have plenty of power and a droptop. The XLR-V is just stupid expensive at a MSRP of $100,000, and while I can afford it I just don't see any reason it should be $40,000 more than the SLK55 or MZ4 with no better performance.

I'll try to make some comparisons, let's start with dealers. Mercedes dealers 75% of the time are some of the worst I've ever encountered. The dealer in San Francisco for example flat out called me a liar and asked me to leave their store after I refused to buy their SLK55 for $15,000 over MSRP after test driving it. Other Mercedes dealers were bad, but not that bad. I did finally run into one really good one, MB of Oakland, and they've been great all the way.

BMW dealers on the other hand always seemed to be quite nice. I drove up to Peter Pan motors in my MZ3 a couple years back, asked about the Z4, and he just tossed me the keys and asked if I could be back before closing time. I drove the car, I loved the car, I bought the car. I'm sure the Z4 owners here know, the car sells itself.

Lexus dealers are on an entirely different plane of existance, there is no better dealership experience out there, either before or after the sale. For service, they would come to my place, drop off a loaner car, pick mine up, do the service, have the car detailed (very well I might add), and then bring it back to me. It's not cheap for service, you are paying for it, but it is soooo worth it. They have a service center seperate from the dealership in Santa Clara, it's got 36 lifts for working on cars, and is absolutely spotless, tiled floor, etc. Free coffee, soda, cookies, sandwiches, espresso, internet workstations, play areas for the kids, etc. Lexus rocks, and if they made a car that could handle well, I'd stick with them. I changed out the entire suspension on the SC430, went with Tein Coilovers, EDFC electronic suspension controller, Daizen sway bars, lightweight 19" wheels and the best tires, and it still couldn't handle, just walllowed in corners.

Ok, on to the SLK55. One notable feature of the car is the new MB 7G 7-Speed Automatic Transmission. In the AMG SLK55, it shifts 35% faster than in the SLK350, and this is one sweetheart of a transmission! My only complaint is that shifts are not 100% seamless like in the Lexus, they could be smoother, but the tradeoff is the car is just mad wicked fast and fun to drive.

I really thought a 7-speed tranny was overkill, but what sold me on it was the 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds, and a 1/4 mile time of 12.7 seconds. That's about the same as the 6-speed Corvette C6 with a really good driver and really good launch. The Corvette has 45 more horsepower and weighs in 200lbs LESS than the SLK55, yet the SLK55 hangs with it easily with an automatic tranny and can snap off those 4.3 second 0-60 times again and again and again with German precision. =)

That's awesome.

Other features. The AMG brakes are simply the best stock brakes I've ever had. 6-pot calipers on 13.4" rotors, drilled and vented from the factory. (Ok, not drilled, the holes are cast in for better durability, they did this RIGHT). The other night I had some open wide road in the rain to test the brakes on, and they were just simply unbelieveable, I was stopping far far shorter than I thought possible in the rain, and without even kicking into ABS. You take you hands off the wheel, stomp on the brakes in a full 'panic' stop, and the car will track straight and true forward and come to a stop with no drama.
People have been open tracking the car heavily and have had no need to upgrade the brakes in any way.

Wheels. I don't like the multi-spoke 16-spoke wheels and I'm looking for other options. I also changed out the wheels on my Z4 to SSR Comps immediately, and had aftermarket wheels on the Z06, SC430, MZ3, and pretty much every other car.

Seats. The SLK55 is a big winner here, best stock seats I've ever had. I love them because they hold me in place very well when cornering. My wife loves them because their the best heated seats we've ever had. I thought the airscarf was a gimmick, but between that, the heated seat, and the heater going full blast, I'm driving around in 50 degree california 'winter' weather grinning with the top down 90% of the time (like we have seasons or something). When we get home, she doesn't want to get out of the car because the heat from the seat feel sooooo good on her back.

Soundsystems. The HK system in the SLK55 is quite decent, it could use a subwoofer, but it's entirely adequate and MB has a wicked iPod integration kit. The SC430's Mark Levinson system was much better, but could still use a real sub. The Z4's soundsystem was pretty badly inferior, but they might have improved it in the past couple years, and the iPod kit for the Z4 doesn't hurt. =)

Nav systems. The BMW system sucks *****, twirl a knob to enter destinations? Hello! This is 2005 not 1995! The MB system also sucks *****. No touchscreen, no voice command, difficult menus, etc. The Lexus system was great, not perfect, but great. The best one so far is the nav system in my wife's new Infiniti M45 Sport. Nearly flawless voice control of everything, no fiddling with knobs, buttons, or taking your eyes off the road. You can talk in plain english and it understands, it even gets her words right most of the time and she has an Indian accent. Full bluetooth integration, keyless go, backup camera, her M45 rocks, and it can handle well too. =)

Engines. The SLK55's engine is incredible. Each one is hand built and tested by a single engineer at the AMG factory. 355hp isn't an insane amount, but it puts out 376ft-lbs of torque, and coupled absolutely optimal gearing from the 7G tranny it's just a wonderful combination. Drive around town slowly, and it's normal. Freeway passing it will kick down *FOUR* gears at once and rocket forward. Floor it in first or second and it just takes off like a scalded cat hopped up on red bull. Could it use more power? Sure! More is always good, right? Well, for $20k or so installed you can go with the Kleeman S8 blower system and get a good 600hp out of the car. But after having the 700hp Z06 for a while, I realized that there is such a thing as having 'too much' power (for the street). It takes the fun out of the car, because you'll lose your license FAST if you stay in the throttle. Stay in it for 3 seconds, and you're at 60. A few more and you're past 100. Keep shifting and keep your foot in it for over 30 seconds, and you're looking at over 200 miles per hour. You just can't use that kind of power on the street, and while the SLK55 could use a touch more, the blower might be too much. The SLK55 is just mad fun because you can hammer it around all day long, just like I did with the Z4.

The Z4's 3.0 had a wide wonderful flat torque curve, but not nearly enough power for me. The MZ4 with the M3's engine will be MUCH better, but it will be down over 100ft-lbs of torque compared to the SLK55, won't have the 7G tranny, and will probably click off 0-60 times of about 4.7 seconds. 4.3 over 4.7 seconds? It's not THAT much of a difference, I just love having gobs of torque on tap at all times. That's why for motorcycles I like liter bikes. I don't need 150-175hp in a 400lb bike, I want it for the torque. Anytime anywhere I can just hammer it without even downshifting and the bike takes off.

Looks. I know some people slam the Z4's styling, personally I think it's a very good looking and unique car, especially in Sterling Gray with the matching SSR Comp wheels and the MZ4 will look even better. The SC430 also gets some complaints about it's styling, but in Egyptian Sand w/Saddle leather interior and Maya TS 19" Chrome wheels, I got literally constant compliments on it. The SLK55 to me is a beautiful car, I think the SL55 looks a bit better, but I'm very happy with the SLK55's looks (except for the wheels!) and it's getting compliments constantly too.

Quality. Lexus rules there, the car was nearly perfect. Didn't have a single problem with my BMW, but only had it for a month. Zero problems with the SLK55 too, but also only for a month. I'm sure you've all heard of the massive problems with the M3 engine (which are now mostly cleared up), and I've heard some whopper nightmares about MB's quality (especially the first year of the new SLK, 2005), so I think the two cars are about even here. Nice thing about the SLK55 is you know it's not run on the ragged edge, and you're not afraid to mod it lightly for fear of it blowing up and not being covered.

Cargo Space. The Lexus was the clear winner here, those 'useless' back seats can hold tons and tons of groceries, boxes, etc, and the trunk is absolutely huge when the top is up. When the top is down there's not much space, but there are still the back seats. The SC430 was awesome for Costco runs!

The MZ3 had virtually no trunk space, no space behind the seats.

The Z4 had twice the trunk space as the MZ3, big improvement, adequate.

The SLK55's trunk is quite decent with the top down, I was able to fit a 25lb turkey in there, roasting pans in boxes from Costco, some new serving platters, and the rest of the Thanksgiving meal, without having to put the top up or use the passenger seat. Not bad, I'd say about 30% more than the Z4 top town, 50% more top up.

That's about all I can think of at this point. Did I mention it would get a bit long? If anyone is in the San Francisco Bay Area and wants to try out a SLK55 in person, feel free to drop me a line, it's not a perfect car, but it's pretty darned sweet.

Between the MZ4 and the SLK55 I went with the SLK because: It was out and available, it has a torque monster V8, 7G auto tranny, air scarf is nice. The MZ4 is going to be awesome, but there is *NO* excuse for BMW not dropping that M3 engine into the car from day one and selling them like hotcakes. MB put the AMG SLK55 out the same time as the regular SLK, and sales are incredible. Some dealers STILL charge over MSRP by $5k and get it for this car. I was able to negotiate $1700 off MSRP on mine (I special ordered it and waited 2 months), about the same discount I got on the Z4.

Either way, MZ4 or SLK55, you're going to be grinning ear to ear when you get your new baby. =)

MZ3: http://www.dozer.com/z3.jpg
Z06: http://www.dozer.com/z06
SC430: http://www.dozer.com/sc430-4.jpg
SC430: http://www.dozer.com/sc430-6.jpg
R1: http://www.dozer.com/r1
Z4: http://www.dozer.com/z4
Z4: http://www.dozer.com/crash1.jpg
Z4: http://www.dozer.com/crash3.jpg
Old 12-03-2005, 04:44 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
Great review / comparo!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:55 PM

You are my hero Nice cars and very nice write up !
Old 12-03-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
very nice writeup - n u r one lucky man!!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:26 AM

SLK 55 AMG
That's a very fair and decent writeup. I'm one of those people who like the Z4 looks. It's just simply 'bold'. Haven't driven a Z3M yet, but would love to.

Let's hope your 55 is as troublefree as mine has been for the past year and 25,000km's.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55
^^ i had a Z4 3.0 as well...but..changed to SLK55 now.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by Shinigami
That's a very fair and decent writeup. I'm one of those people who like the Z4 looks. It's just simply 'bold'. Haven't driven a Z3M yet, but would love to.
I also like how it looks, especially from the side and the rear. But no hardtop and the lack of power drove me to the SLK.

Nice writeup Dozer, very unbias.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:05 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG; 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8; and 2004 PT Cruiser GT Turbo (Modified)
Your comments reinforced my purchase decision..... Thanks.