SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: 2006 SLK350 Blown Electronic Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK350 Blown Electronic Ignition Switch

Well, I took delivery of my 'new' SLK350 on 4/14.

On 4/21 it was on the back of a tow truck as neither key would turn in the ignition switch, and if it did, it may, or may not start the engine.

On 4/16, I noticed when I removed the key from the ignition, that the satellite radio kept playing and i had to restart and turn the sat off with the power button to make it turn off completely. No problems after that until 4/21 when the car simply would not start.

Oh, and it takes 2-3 days to get 'the part' and another day to put it in, on a car I have yet to make the first payment on.

Let's just say, my joy of owning a Benz has evaporated.

My old Acura is looking better and better, and it didn't cost $50K.

I told my salesperson, "..quite the advertisment for Mercedes, a brand new sports car of theirs on the back of a tow truck with a temporary 30 day tag on it.' I also told them one more problem, just one more, and I'll go to Better Business Bureau for a 'buy back'.

I just wanted to get the word out to you all in case you experience the problem....and if you do experience it, expect a week without the car. The
technician who came out to my house on saturday said that he had 'seen one other vehicle with this problem.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Almost a Member!

1 month into ownership and I havent seen anything bad on mine. Its probably just a fluke and you will be thrilled once this is fixed.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:42 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Hopefully this is an unfortunate one time occurrence. Everyone (everything) deserves a second chance. Once you get your SLK back, start over and be optimistic.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by garnerd
Well, I took delivery of my 'new' SLK350 on 4/14.

On 4/21 it was on the back of a tow truck as neither key would turn in the ignition switch, and if it did, it may, or may not start the engine.

On 4/16, I noticed when I removed the key from the ignition, that the satellite radio kept playing and i had to restart and turn the sat off with the power button to make it turn off completely. No problems after that until 4/21 when the car simply would not start.

Oh, and it takes 2-3 days to get 'the part' and another day to put it in, on a car I have yet to make the first payment on.

Let's just say, my joy of owning a Benz has evaporated.

My old Acura is looking better and better, and it didn't cost $50K.

I told my salesperson, "..quite the advertisment for Mercedes, a brand new sports car of theirs on the back of a tow truck with a temporary 30 day tag on it.' I also told them one more problem, just one more, and I'll go to Better Business Bureau for a 'buy back'.

I just wanted to get the word out to you all in case you experience the problem....and if you do experience it, expect a week without the car. The
technician who came out to my house on saturday said that he had 'seen one other vehicle with this problem.
1 ignition switch
1 software update to various audio modules

Seems to me that the dealer employs chickens which peck at diagnostic in exchange for grains of food.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:28 AM

Sorry to hear you are having such a problem with your new SLK.
You may have picked a lemon or a lemon part.
Actually, I think the R171 is the most reliable Benz in the whole
fleet. I know this doesn't make you feel better.
I feel your frustration brother.

Keep us updated.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:30 AM

Sorry you're having a problem. Considering how complicated these cars are, one or two problems in the begining shouldn't be a surprise. Don't let this taint your feeling about your wonderful new car. Once the problem is corrected, you should have many years of enjoyable driving.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:42 PM

I hope ur right

God I hope your are right.

I loved that car when I bought it.

It almost feels like, having a first love, and finding out the first love has cheated on you....never feels quite right again.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 AM

2006 SLK 55
Don't give up on your SLK

This is an easily remedied problem and you will love your car fully once you get through the break-in period. There is nothing like it...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:29 AM

2006 SLK 350
"SLK Problems" I also have my own

I have 1800 miles on my and so far is been a very nice car to drive, but there is been a few flaws in the car already,
The CDPlayer will not play sometimes after I start the car, I have to turn on the radio, turn it off and then turn off the car, then the cdplayer will work,
today I was driving 65mph and a big cloud of smoke came out of the front of the car????????????? when I open the hood, there was oil all over the engine.
I have no clue what happen.. but it looks like the oil cap was loose.
and for some reason now that I when to test drive other cars the interior on the SLK looks so cheap compare to other cars on the same range......

Don’t take me wrong I still think that the SLK is a very nice car but I guess I'm loosing interest in the car....