SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Installing Air filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Air filters

Hi there, I just bought 2 K&N filters and so I was trying to install it but the space were pretty tight under the hood so I couldn't really reach in to unscrews the engine cover to change the filters. I am just wondering if anyone had experiences installing it and have any tricks so it's easier to remove the cover? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by Wallance
Hi there, I just bought 2 K&N filters and so I was trying to install it but the space were pretty tight under the hood so I couldn't really reach in to unscrews the engine cover to change the filters. I am just wondering if anyone had experiences installing it and have any tricks so it's easier to remove the cover? Thanks in advance.
I didn't know K&N made air filters for this car. I have not done it but heard it's similiar to the C-class, here's the link. http://www.euroteckmotorsports.com/i...owse&pageid=84
Old 05-13-2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ynot
I didn't know K&N made air filters for this car. I have not done it but heard it's similiar to the C-class, here's the link. http://www.euroteckmotorsports.com/i...owse&pageid=84

Thx for the help there! I got it put in now, but just wondering if I should put in the gasket too? the Package comes with the gasket but it doesn't seem like I need it there. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by Wallance
Thx for the help there! I got it put in now, but just wondering if I should put in the gasket too? the Package comes with the gasket but it doesn't seem like I need it there. Thanks again.
If you don't need it don't install it. Sometimes aftermarket parts comes with unnecessary gaskets, brackets, clips, etc..
Old 05-14-2006, 04:55 PM

Yea! Now I am all set to go! Thanks Ynot!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:45 PM

I did a search at K&N website for a 350 filter but they didn't have it available. It's only available for the 55 - is that what you have?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:15 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
filters

is this the 350 filter you are looking for?

scroll down this link in the middle:

http://x-t-c.com/index_shop.htm
Old 05-23-2006, 12:39 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
Just curious, what do these filters really do? I know it's "less restrictive," but is the difference only psychological? I remember when I had my Civic, filters only helped for like 0.5 hp if any, but the cold air intake made the difference. Our intake system is almost a ram-air type intake, so I figure a new filter won't make too much difference?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:41 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by slktyperice
Just curious, what do these filters really do? I know it's "less restrictive," but is the difference only psychological? I remember when I had my Civic, filters only helped for like 0.5 hp if any, but the cold air intake made the difference. Our intake system is almost a ram-air type intake, so I figure a new filter won't make too much difference?
Search the net, you will get A LOT of opinions and anecdotal "evidence", but very little conclusive and repeatable testing data. Read the Manufacturer's sites, and you will get a good lesson in marketing without making a claim they could be held to.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by slktyperice
Don't know about NA cars but I had K&N filters on my turbocharged Eagle Talon and it feels like it helps a little, the engine sound got a bit louder and a bit more responsive. (maybe it is psychological?) Never dynoed so don't know how much hp it gained.