SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Can Sirius Radio Play MP3 CDs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 02:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SLK350, Storm Red, Premium 1 Pkg, Bi-Xenon Lights, Heated Seats, Airscarf
Can Sirius Radio Play MP3 CDs?

Hi,

Buying an 2007 SLK280. Put the order in today for the Euro Delivery Program.
The 2007s dropped the Comfort Package and added the Power seats to the
Premium Package ( three level of Premium Package ). Anyway, the first
level Premium Package includes a Sirius Radio with a single CD player.

Does anyone know if the CD player in the Sirius radio can play MP3 CDs?
Or, do I need the six CD player in the glove box?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-28-2006, 02:12 AM
Almost a Member!

PS - I am disappointed in the lack of product knowledge of the MB Salesman!!
I've been dealing with three different dealers. In each dealership, there seems to
be just one guy who knows anything and they all have to call him for every question.
And, he doesn't know everything.

I'm in computers sales. I know everything about my product line from the cheapest
desktop to the largest 72 CPU servers. Number of CPUs, Mhz, amount of memory,
amount of disk, valid configurations, options. Just about everything. And, what I
don't know, I can look up on the company's internal network. One dealer I asked
for a quote on 5/19/06. On 5/24/06 he called back to tell me he was still working on
it. I don't have it yet!!

Mike
Old 05-28-2006, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by Mike Smith
Hi,

Buying an 2007 SLK280. Put the order in today for the Euro Delivery Program.
The 2007s dropped the Comfort Package and added the Power seats to the
Premium Package ( three level of Premium Package ). Anyway, the first
level Premium Package includes a Sirius Radio with a single CD player.

Thanks,

Mike
No the single CD player on the Audio 20 will not play MP3's unless something's changed with the 2007 model, my advice to you is if it's not too late to order the COMMAND w/ Nav, do it, it will help you tremendously during your stay in Germany. Fumbling with the map is not going to be fun, your wife/gf will thank you. The Nav will take you to where you want to go and the Delivery person at the Kundencenter will program all your destination for you. Plus the Audio 20 makes the center console very plain IMO. Be sure to do a search for 'Euro Delivery' before you go, many tips, suggestions, places to go, etc... Have fun.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:32 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
PS - I am disappointed in the lack of product knowledge of the MB Salesman!!
I've been dealing with three different dealers. In each dealership, there seems to
be just one guy who knows anything and they all have to call him for every question.
And, he doesn't know everything. Mike
I agree, either the sales people are lazy or not motivated. No excuse. I agree with Ynot on the NAV. Money well spent, and it looks wonderful. Might not be the best GPS system out, but it's the only one MB is offering.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Exclamation

Hi,

The Sirius is not even installed when you do the Euro delivery as it does not work in Europe. (It gets installed at the MB center in the US).

If you have COMMAND, the CD player does MP3. If you don't have COMMAND, you should.
This was the first car I ever had with NAV and I am very glad I had it for the European trip alone. Worth the price for just that, if you want to be able to do anything on your own.

NEVER GET THE CD CHANGER, IMHO. I opted to buy a dedicated iPod and stored 90% of my music on if for much less than the changer. It also takes up less room and you can work it from the steering wheel.

As the iPod interface is also not installed installed in Germany, I had to use the AUX connection in glove box to interface the iPod during my European trip. Not as cool, but it worked OK. Gives the co-pilot a job. (You have to remember to charge it, though.)
Old 05-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi,

I have a TomTom Go 910 to use for navigation. It already has West Europe maps
installed on its 20GB harddrive. The TomTom systems takes up 8GB, the other
12GB are available for MP3 files.

I own several cars. Its very rare that I need to use navigation aids. I'm one of those
people gifted with a great sense of direction and I somehow intuitively find my way.
Can't explain it.

I switch cars depending on the trip. I don't want to spend $2 - $3K per car for a NAV
system, so a portable one is a good compromise for the few times I need to take
it along. The other issue I have with built-in NAV systems is I keep cars for 10
years. In the next 10 years, I know that technology will drastically change.

So, if I understand the radio situation, the Audio 20 is the standard radio for the
car and it does NOT play MP3 CDs. If you get the Sirius upgrade, is that still
the Audio 20 radio?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-28-2006, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by Vodil
The Sirius is not even installed when you do the Euro delivery as it does not work in Europe. (It gets installed at the MB center in the US).
It is now being installed in Germany, was confirmed by one of the members here, can't recall the name.

So, if I understand the radio situation, the Audio 20 is the standard radio for the
car and it does NOT play MP3 CDs. If you get the Sirius upgrade, is that still
the Audio 20 radio?

Thanks,

Mike
Yes and it does not play MP3's, the CD changer plays it but like Vodil said, it's a waste of space, used that space for owner's manual, insurance, registration, etc. Sirius will make no difference, unless something's changed on the newer models.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
the comand can also play dvd mp3s
Old 06-04-2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vodil
NEVER GET THE CD CHANGER, IMHO. I opted to buy a dedicated iPod and stored 90% of my music on if for much less than the changer. It also takes up less room and you can work it from the steering wheel.
This is interesting to me. I have just about decided to go the other way, to put in the changer (giving up the glove compartment space, I realize), and load a bunch of MP3 discs in the changer. I've been talking with BigSis about having Steve of MBenzNL put the thing in when he next comes over to the US.

I even have an iPod. I think part of my concern is that the iPod, if I understand it, sits in plain sight in the console area, and I like to park with the top down. Am I mistaken about the iPod location? Also, installing the changer is actually less expensive than the iPod by a little bit, but I don't think that's influencing me.

I wonder if it matters. I know that some people have removed the changer ... maybe they spend more time in the glove compartment than I do. But I do wonder what I'm missing in all this that leaves me leaning toward the changer rather than the iPod.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Thumbs up Dump the changer

Originally Posted by RonJeffries

I even have an iPod. I think part of my concern is that the iPod, if I understand it, sits in plain sight in the console area, and I like to park with the top down. Am I mistaken about the iPod location? Also, installing the changer is actually less expensive than the iPod by a little bit, but I don't think that's influencing me..
Don't know if it varies, but my (dealer-installed) Ipod is sitting in a holder at the bottom of the (bottom) center console. It takes up almost no space and is completely invisible. The touch pad is disabled, so I have a hat and gloves sitting on top of it w/ no problems. It is, of course, fully locked when the car is locked.

The only downside to the Ipod is that it works through the HUD not the COMMAND screen. Once you get the hang of the steering-wheel buttons, though it is fully functional,
Old 06-05-2006, 08:17 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, '05 Lexus RX330, '98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4
Originally Posted by RonJeffries
This is interesting to me. I have just about decided to go the other way, to put in the changer (giving up the glove compartment space, I realize), and load a bunch of MP3 discs in the changer. I've been talking with BigSis about having Steve of MBenzNL put the thing in when he next comes over to the US.
For 2 hundred bucks I'll send you mine. Never been used.