SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: New 400 hp M3 --> Should it replace SLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
987S
Originally Posted by carnutess
Well, umm, I..a,.. I ..meant with slicks on!

So you've given up on the idea of getting the 55amg? why's that? By the way, what is an Aston MArtin "AMV8"? Price is? Is that the V8 Vantage?
May I have your MB forum name, if you're giving it up!? I plan to get one myself soon, the 55 that is, unless a 63 becomes available.

Has anyone attempted to special order a color, or request options not normally available on the model of your choice? Id like the 280/350 shiny dark wooden steering wheel on my amg. What about a source for slk decals?
I reckon it would look great with some tasteful hood stripes, or even along the side line. pics?
Yes its the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage...... I'm waiting for the roadster version which is due out next year. Unfortunately its likely to be around £90k for a well speced one (~$160k).

I haven't totally given up on the idea of the 55....... its a great car and the only thing I didn't like was the auto...... if AMG can improve the 7G or come up with a DSG type box I'd certainly give it consideration next time I change.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by dsb
Ynot,
Thanks for the information regarding the M3. If it is real, it looks like a great package. Don't get me wrong, I love my SLK. If correct, MB needs to up their game. I don't want to switch, but that M3 looks good on paper.
I'm not switching anytime soon. That price is just too low to be true. I was on the BMW forums and everyone thinks it's a misprint, can't be the same price as the 335. We'll find out soon enough.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:10 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Here's another option...

The Audi R8 will now have a convertible option available in 2009.... at least according to Motor Trend.

That might be a good SLK replacement.

Last edited by dsb; 08-25-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:53 PM

987S
Originally Posted by Ynot
I'm not switching anytime soon. That price is just too low to be true. I was on the BMW forums and everyone thinks it's a misprint, can't be the same price as the 335. We'll find out soon enough.
Not that soon!...... the new M3 has been put back to 2008. A friend has been on the waiting list for ages but was told yesterday that its still over a year away from release.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:56 PM

2006 SLK 280, manual, mars red
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
Not that soon!...... the new M3 has been put back to 2008. A friend has been on the waiting list for ages but was told yesterday that its still over a year away from release.
Not that soon indeed, and then it's still a coupe and not a convertible. I don't understand why people are comparing these very different cars. If horsepower and benchmark-class handling is what you want, get the M3 or a Porsche. If you want a fast car with an open roof above your head, the M3 is out. If you want a retractable hard-top, Porsche is out, and the SLK remains. You can't have it all, at least not in a single car. Simple as that.

Last edited by Ikarus; 08-25-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:34 PM

SLK 350 [AMG, Premium, Comfort, COMMAND Navi, Entertaintment, Heating, Wood trim]
Originally Posted by Ikarus
Not that soon indeed, and then it's still a coupe and not a convertible. I don't understand why people are comparing these very different cars. If horsepower and benchmark-class handling is what you want, get the M3 or a Porsche. If you want a fast car with an open roof above your head, the M3 is out. If you want a retractable hard-top, Porsche is out, and the SLK remains. You can't have it all, at least not in a single car. Simple as that.
Yeap true u cant compare beast over a retractable hard-top beauty. "If you want a retractable hard-top, Porsche is out, and the SLK remains." well apparently it's not as easy as that.

In real life, u only have that much money for a car (unless u have more $ to buy both). U gotta make a decision whether to sacrifice hard-top beauty for a beast power, vice versa OR sacrificing Brand name over a hard-top beauty. So, the real comparison is to compare the PRICE rather than the type of car. (It's just a marketing psychology to get u to buy more cars from them.)

It's just my opinion coz I had problem between SLK and Corvette as well. But beauty sells!

Last edited by Voize; 08-25-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:44 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I'm not comparing the two. I am simply a car enthusiast that continues to look for the next best thing. Right now, the 55 is everything I want and is the best solution for me. As you point out, the SLK is the only offering that combines fast and a hard top. That's what did it for me. That doesn't mean I won't continue to look for it's replacement.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:37 PM

2006 SLK 280, manual, mars red
Originally Posted by Voize
well apparently it's not as easy as that.
It isn't easy, but then again - choosing between an apple and an orange isn't easy either.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:56 AM

SLK 350 [AMG, Premium, Comfort, COMMAND Navi, Entertaintment, Heating, Wood trim]
It isn't easy, but then again - choosing between an apple and an orange isn't easy either.
apple for me
Old 08-26-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by dsb
Right now, the 55 is everything I want and is the best solution for me. As you point out, the SLK is the only offering that combines fast and a hard top. That's what did it for me. That doesn't mean I won't continue to look for it's replacement.
The MB luxury level is much higher than the BMW although so is usually the cost. Those factor shoudl figure into the equation as well.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:19 PM

stuff

OK, found out that a 355hp/3200lb street machine has indeed dipped into the 3's (3.9 0-60mph to be exact), so there!-- I stand behind my claim that the new 400(+)hp/3500lb aprox. convertible M3 might manage it too; that amazing car is none other than the Porsche carrera-2S coupe, check your road and track mag if you dont believe me, chum! Must a been asleep during those physics classes,eh!
Fellas, I want an exterior color that is not listed as available, Will Benz allow a color of my choice? At what cost? Has anyone tried it? How do you show them what you want? Will they use only color codes that are in there data bases, or will they ablige with the codes of other car makers?
There's a nice ebony I see other cars in now and then, but never a Benz. Help! Is the slk just a pure white shade? yuck!!!! I think the color choices really suck, whats a girl to do.....
Old 08-31-2006, 05:29 PM

987S
OK, found out that a 355hp/3200lb street machine has indeed dipped into the 3's (3.9 0-60mph to be exact), so there!-- I stand behind my claim that the new 400(+)hp/3500lb aprox. convertible M3 might manage it too; that amazing car is none other than the Porsche carrera-2S coupe, check your road and track mag if you dont believe me, chum! Must a been asleep during those physics classes,eh!
Fellas, I want an exterior color that is not listed as available, Will Benz allow a color of my choice? At what cost? Has anyone tried it? How do you show them what you want? Will they use only color codes that are in there data bases, or will they ablige with the codes of other car makers?
There's a nice ebony I see other cars in now and then, but never a Benz. Help! Is the slk just a pure white shade? yuck!!!! I think the color choices really suck, whats a girl to do.....
We don't get Road and Track in the UK...... but online the only time I could see for their test of the 997 C2S was a 4.8 0-60? I'm not saying I don't believe you but do you have a link? R&T online seem to think that the new 997 Turbo (3500lb and 480bhp) can do 3.5 but that has much more power and torque...... the 911 does get great traction off the line due to its rear engine so I won't say its impossible...... however the M3 won't have that advantage so I'll be very surprised if it could break 4 seconds but I'd love to be proved wrong.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Which issue of R&T are you talking about? Mine say 4.5 secs 0-60mph. The fastest time I've seen for SLK55 is 4.2 secs from car and driver IIRC.

Any ebony color besides obsidian and the regular black will be designo colors. For $8,000 extra.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 PM

0-60 hp req..ments

Dont have it with me at the moment (the R&T article), but to be fair what had happened was.....a while back they tested the carrera-s, a very new car, which scored up above 4 secs, so later (more recently) while doing some sort of supercar comparison, with a higer-mileage Porsche but otherwise identical, for some unknown reason the car came in at 3.9 sec! So they took the car to an independent shop and on the dyno indeed the horsepower was normal, as stated. They concluded the motor may have been tighter since that second car had more miles, no other explanation was offered. So if you check their performance summary page you will see that car listed at the new 3.9 0-60 stat, which is not to far off what the mighty new Pturbo does on the strip. Yes, some figures have come in at 3.5 even 3.4 for the new turbo, but in the supercar comparision done in Italy recently those italians must have sabotaged that Porsche coz it performed like a 350 hp car, not like a 500+ lb-ft car. I expect to see scating letters to the editor over that one from Porsche afficianados.
In my opinion a good broken-in Pturbo in the right hands can certainly manage 3.5 sec 0-60 if its cousin at 355 hp can squeak by @ 3.9, right?
Had that test been done in Germany .........
Still, I have yet to see one of the major US car mags test the new P turbo on american soil all by its self and with a Porsche-driver (someone who has raced these cars). I dont know why, maybe its coz they are hard to get and no one here wants to let the mag boys bang theirs up. It still does not appeasr in the performance specs page of either car and driver nor Road and track. You figure!

Oh, the slk color thing: I mean IVORY, I want mine to be a shade of Ivory not avail from std Mbenz color charts. So tell me, will they do it??????
If yes, how do I demonstrate what paint to use?
Again, has anyone ever requested ANY thing not normally available as std or optional on an SLK or MBenz??
Where are you people??
PS Yeah, I'll give it to you there SLK55, That rear mounted engine does the trick, doesnt it!

Any word on the 63 motor for the slk???
****, i cant wait much longer.
Wait, maybe ill get a porsche instead.
just kiddin
Old 01-11-2007, 05:38 PM

SLK55AMG wrote, long time ago: We don't get Road and Track in the UK...... but online the only time I could see for their test of the 997 C2S was a 4.8 0-60? I'm not saying I don't believe you but do you have a link? <

It was a special series entitled: Best All Around Sports Car....
page 56, yr 2005 cars tested, Road Test Annual.
Third in line was the Porsche Carrera S with a fair amount of miles on it (normally they test much newer cars, less broken in), she pulled off an amazing 3.9 sec 0->60mph, surprized everyone. They put it on a dyno to confirm it was an unmodified car.

Nevertheless, I ordered MY SLK55AMG and cant hardly waitttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question to those with Performance package: Is the ride uncomfortable on imperfect roads? As compared to the standard suspension-- if you've ever been in one with.
Would you tend to NOT recommend the PP for cars that will do little if any track time, or is it worth having even on the street?
Ignoring the upgraded carbon trim for the moment...
tanx boys!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:58 PM

2007 SLK 350, 2006 Mini Cooper, 2003 GMC Envoy
Originally Posted by Voize
Yeap true u cant compare beast over a retractable hard-top beauty. "If you want a retractable hard-top, Porsche is out, and the SLK remains." well apparently it's not as easy as that.

In real life, u only have that much money for a car (unless u have more $ to buy both). U gotta make a decision whether to sacrifice hard-top beauty for a beast power, vice versa OR sacrificing Brand name over a hard-top beauty. So, the real comparison is to compare the PRICE rather than the type of car. (It's just a marketing psychology to get u to buy more cars from them.)

It's just my opinion coz I had problem between SLK and Corvette as well. But beauty sells!
The real comparison, you say, is to compare price.
I am not sure that I agree with this logic. It seems to me that it is your personal choice of criteria.

I had a Corvette for almost 3 years. I enjoyed it very, very much.
Last September I sold it because I really wanted a convertible hard top.
I ordered a 2007 SLK 350 and got it last November.
It's a different car, a different experience, and I enjoy it beyond my expectations.
Corvette is unique. SLK 350 top down is ..............priceless
Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 PM

SLK 55 AMG
New M3 looks so very dull... A 'powerful' engine does not always a great car make.