SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK car wash scares..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
SLK car wash scares..

I took my SLK to a Dr. Wash today, where they put the car through an automated car wash, and then half a dozen people wiped it clean after it came out.

(Bad idea?)

When I drove away, I noticed that the right-side mirror was folded in.. (I didn't even realize that this could be done), so I stopped the car and then pushed out the mirror.

But it still looked kind of funny.. or maybe it was my imagination?

Anyway, I noticed that the left-side mirror has a black (rubber?) lining around the mirror, while my right-side mirror does not. Is the way it's always been? Or did I lose my right-side mirror's lining?

p.s.
As the people jumped on the car to wipe it clean, a woman on the left was going crazy with the window-opener buttons, and yelling back and forth to the person on the right, who seemed to be just standing there.

Then I realized that the guy on the right was trying to open the door handle, while the lady on the left was trying to unlock it, without success.

I quickly jumped inside the car and pressed the Unlock button, so that they could complete the job.

Now... I'm afraid to take it back to this place..

Last edited by shahedC; 12-18-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:03 PM

BTW, where do you guys normally go for washing your SLK? Or do you always do it yourself...

Thanks,
shahedC
Old 12-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Why not a touchless car wash and when you get the time wash it yourself or go to a proffessional?

I'm sure with the road salt the touchless would be the best for quick results
Old 12-18-2006, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by shahedC
I took my SLK to a Dr. Wash today, where they put the car through an automated car wash, and then half a dozen people wiped it clean after it came out.

(Bad idea?)
Yes.

Originally Posted by shahedC
Now... I'm afraid to take it back to this place..
I would be too.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:21 PM

2005 SLK350 Black on Black
I took the wife's SLK thru one of these washes right after we got it and when it came out it appeared to have a scratch starting at the nose of the car, all the way up the hood, and then onto the roof. I just about freaked. The teenager who was drying it said he would go get the manager and then I never saw him again. The manager came out and started messing with it and it turned out to be something that wiped off after some rubbing (not sure what it was but it wasn't a scratch).

Decided at that point it was not worth taking a chance with these rookies.

Of course then I took it into our MB dealer to have it detailed and it looked really good when we picked it up, but it was cloudy that day. A few days later when the sun finally came out there were all kinds of swirl marks on the hood and trunk. Of all places I would have thought our dealer would have had a professional staff that could do a good job.

Anyway, the wife does not mind washing it herself, so that is what "we" do now - she washes, I am in charge of waxing. Just ordered a Zaino kit and hope to get it looking good again (in the sun) soon.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by SLKDawg
Just ordered a Zaino kit and hope to get it looking good again (in the sun) soon.
Great move....you'll love it.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:26 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
Anyway, I noticed that the left-side mirror has a black (rubber?) lining around the mirror, while my right-side mirror does not. Is the way it's always been? Or did I lose my right-side mirror's lining?

yes the driver's side is waterproof for the autodimming feature i believe
Old 12-18-2006, 05:33 PM

2010 SLK 350, 2010 Infiniti FX 35, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1988 CRX SI
SLK is so small it only takes a short time to clean...my 55 AMGs wheels take longer than the body. All those freak'n spokes. 40 mins when I do the wheels.

I have to get the claybars from Zaino to remove a couple of heal marks made by my Kenneth Cole shoes. Didn't realize I was hitting the side skirts getting in.

Also....no matter how far I park my car away from other vehicles there is always someone in a beatup car parking next to mine. The last guy's kid rubbed a dirty soccer bag againts my door...freaks. Washed off and thankfully no scratches.

Use 100% white cotton towels just for washing and drying your SLK and she'll look beatiful. Zaino has good cleaning tips on their site.http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...S&Store_Code=Z
Old 12-18-2006, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info.

I will try to wash it myself on a more-or-less regular basis.. and will get it detailed soon.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:50 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
shahedC, search and you will see many horror stories.

NEVER, take a car with sport tires (i.e. low sidewalls and expensive wheels) to a place that pulls the car along a track. NEVER NEVER NEVER you can get a bad rim rash.

Never wash or dry your car with towels, rags, sponges, chamois that you don't know what they were last wiped on, or how many times dropped on the ground.

The "kids" washing the car at the MB dealer are no different then the ones at the carwash. Lowest paid, highest turnover.

If you're not able to wash your car, the safest alternative is to find a "touchless" automated carwash, where you drive in (your car is NOT pulled). Touchless means only water is sprayed, there are no brushes or rollers. It will NOT do near as good a job as a good hand wash, but it will take a lot of the dirt and grime off.

Then you can go to a car detail place once or twice a year (not a detail at a carwash, but a place that specializes in details done correctly).
Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 PM

bloflin is right. Never take you car to a car wash that uses a track system. I've owned my SLK for 2 years and I always wash it myself. I'd rather have a dirty car than one with scratched wheels or paint. Iridium Silver really hides the dust and light dirt.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info, guys.

Fortunately, the car seems to look ok, and I will get it detailed at the dealership soon.

I will attempt to clean it myself regularly, and will locate a "touchless" car wash in my area.

shahedC
Old 12-18-2006, 09:12 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
I do not recommend taking it to the dealer to do it either. They reuse their towels, sponges, chamois, etc. They pick up grit from the previous wash, and then scrape it across your finish.

I use the Zaino system, and always wash it myself. Clean, 100% cotton towels (also as the washcloth). Once you do it right, it is very easy to take care of because nothing sticks to it very well. I also do the wheels with Zaino, as it makes them easier to clean. (Yeah, 10 spokes per wheel, plus ten holes inbetween. Takes a much longer to do the wheels than it does the car.)

Whenever I take my car in to the dealership for service, I specify "NO WASH", as they feel it is their duty to wash it after the service. The one time they ignorned my instructions (even though the car was shiny and spotless when I brought it in), it had fine swirl marks in the finish when I picked it up. I had to follow Zaino's instructions from the start to take it back down to bare finish, use a couple of coats of Z-5 to get swirls out, and then a few coats of Z-2.

I use a pressure washer to wash inbetween major washings (using Zaino Z-7 car wash). That really makes it easy to keep reasonably clean. (I use a high velocity leaf blower as a sort of hair dryer to make it easy to get rid of the standing water drops, but you could also drive it fast for a few miles.) The pressure washer makes it easier to keep the wheels "almost" clean.

If you don't want to do that, then I also suggest only a touchless car wash.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:38 PM

Oh wow, no dealership detailing either?

I guess I could at least tell them "NO WASH" ?

Isn't there a guy here from American Service Center (Arlington VA) ? Maybe he can ensure that the job is done right ?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Take everyone's advise and wash it yourself, the SLK is so tiny, it doesn't take alot of time to keep it clean. I don't take mine to any car wash, I prefer to do it myself. I sometimes let my dealer clean my car when it's really dirty, all they do is spray it with a high pressure hose, they don't do any wiping so I'm okay with that.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:11 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Do it yourself. I use the Mr Clean system and I like the ease and results. I normally wash the SLK once a week. I agree, the SLK is the easiest car I've ever washed. Takes about thirty minutes to include wheels. I like the AMG five spoke wheels and particularly the ease of cleaning. Never had wheels that I could clean the inside wheel surface. I do now. With the Mr Clean system, it's wash, rinse, and rinse with filtered water for a ALMOST (good enough for my critical eye) spotless car. Now, if I could only get my wife to wash the SLK. She's got that NASCAR mentality, I'm just the driver.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK280.
you should just do it yourself. never let anyone clean your car as it aint their money so they dont care if they damage it. plus i always find peopl jealous of it and they would probably love the opportunity to scratch it. your experience sounds like a nightmare, i would probably have jumped in and driven off when they were fighting about how to open the door.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
dont let the dealer detail the vehicle, that is who installed the swirl marks on your car SLKDawg. Check the detailing forum and read up on the stickies.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:10 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
shahedc,

Find a car detailing business (not the dealer and not at a Full Service Car wash). A detailing business's only BUSINESS is doing detailing right. Not to say there aren't some bad ones.

Ask around for recomendations or stop at a couple during business hours and watch what they do.

You find a good detail shop, they will have employees that appreciate fine cars and appreciate a job well done. They understand swirling, etc.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:10 AM

slk 350
You guys are nuts for letting anyone wash your car, including the dealer. There is no way anyone is going to be as careful or considerate of your car, like you. I would never let anyone touch it. Everytime I go to the dealer, I ask that they don't wash the car and I leave a note in the car just to make sure. Some kid probably wearing riveted jeans near my car, no way.

I recommend Zaino, wholeheartedly. Once you go through the process of putting it on, which takes some time, after a few coats, the car is amazingly easy to clean. Washing the car shouldn't take more than ten minutes. Why risk it? Give your baby the respect she deserves.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:28 PM

SLK 55 AMG
I would NEVER let someone else wash my car. C'mon, using towels to wipe the car clean? Yeah right, take a look at the towels they use, sand and grime is everywhere ready to scratch the paint off your car.

Why not just take sandpaper to scrub your teeth clean each day instead of a toothbrush?

Anyway, it's normal for the drivers side mirror to have the black band around it. It's the auto dimming mirror feature which requires this. The other mirror doesn't dim, so it doesn't have this black band.