SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: manumatic, Tiptronic or Touchshift?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
manumatic, Tiptronic or Touchshift?

The SLK350 I test drove had an option to manually shift by nudging the stick left or right to shift down/up.

However, the SLK55 I test drove had paddle shifters.

Neither of these cars had a clutch.

Now what do you call this system on each of these cars:
Old 08-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 350, G35 coupe, 750 Li
i believe the 350 is known as tiptronic, whereas paddle shifting can me considerd manumatic, not too sure though. They call it all sorts of things, because i hear ppl calling it manumatic, however on that actual sticker they just label it manual overide, this goes for all sorts of car makers, not just mercedes.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:42 PM

alrighty thanks!

Maybe one of the other members has the answer...
Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 PM

2006 slk 55 amg
When I picked up my slk the sales rep said touchshift. Mine has buttons in the back of the steering wheel but can also nudge the stick left or right to down/up shift.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by nycboy
When I picked up my slk the sales rep said touchshift. Mine has buttons in the back of the steering wheel but can also nudge the stick left or right to down/up shift.
Hmm.. I don't remember the nudge-shift on the SLK55... either it's optional or I wasn't paying attention...
Old 08-16-2006, 04:45 PM

987S
I don't like automatics so the following statement could be total rubbish BUT I was under the impression that Tiptronic is a Porsche trademark. In the UK the Merc 7G is known as Speedshift.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
I don't like automatics so the following statement could be total rubbish BUT I was under the impression that Tiptronic is a Porsche trademark. In the UK the Merc 7G is known as Speedshift.
Oh ok, there's 2 more names.... 7G and Speedshift...

.. I just remembered another one: 7Gtronic..

BTW, I thought Tiptronic was for VW when I first sat in a Tiptronic Jetta. I also drove a Mazda6 rental with Tiptronic... I doubt that Porsche owns it, but I could be wrong...
Old 08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 350, G35 coupe, 750 Li
it just seems everyone has there own name for it, might as well dubb it" the thing with the thing that changes gears" heh.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:22 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by shahedC
The SLK350 I test drove had an option to manually shift by nudging the stick left or right to shift down/up.

However, the SLK55 I test drove had paddle shifters.

Neither of these cars had a clutch.

Now what do you call this system on each of these cars:
The SLK 350 had an automatic and the SLK 55 also had an automatic. Remember, if it looks like an automatic, walks like a automatic, then it must be an automatic. Sorry, I'm a true blue 6MT (six speed manual transmission) guy. I don't understand all that fancy jargon other than automatic transmission.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:46 PM

SLK 350 [AMG, Premium, Comfort, COMMAND Navi, Entertaintment, Heating, Wood trim]
I got the 2006 model, which they call it touchshift. Don't know bout the other, but in my community, we always call it tiptronic.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:51 AM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
Ok, the definitive answer.

Its officially called a "Tip function" Different markets dictate whether you get the steerg wheel override.
On the 55, the steering wheel controls are standard in every market, you still also get the tip function on the stick, but there is some re programming of the gearbox to provide a quicker shift between gears, this is know then as "Speedshift" on the AMG model.
As for voize and his imaginary car you should take a look at this thread if you really want a laugh. https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171/158415-slk-best-acceleration-7g-auto-transmission.html
You can tell he drives an SLK
Old 08-17-2006, 07:21 AM

987S
Wikipedia has a good summary of the various names used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic

Tiptronic was invented by Porsche but they license it to other companies.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:29 AM

987S
Originally Posted by Easy-SLK
Ok, the definitive answer.

Its officially called a "Tip function" Different markets dictate whether you get the steerg wheel override.
On the 55, the steering wheel controls are standard in every market, you still also get the tip function on the stick, but there is some re programming of the gearbox to provide a quicker shift between gears, this is know then as "Speedshift" on the AMG model.
As for voize and his imaginary car you should take a look at this thread if you really want a laugh. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158415
You can tell he drives an SLK
Oh yes I hadn't noticed the bit where young Voize said he starts in 3rd gear when trying to get the best acceleration

So Mr Voize why on earth would you start off in 3rd gear when there are two perfectly good gears below it? If Merc had wanted you to start in third they would have labeled it 1st and why anyone would change up to 4th gear from 3500rpm in 3rd is beyond me
Old 08-17-2006, 07:42 AM

SLK 350 [AMG, Premium, Comfort, COMMAND Navi, Entertaintment, Heating, Wood trim]
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
Oh yes I hadn't noticed the bit where young Voize said he starts in 3rd gear when trying to get the best acceleration

So Mr Voize why on earth would you start off in 3rd gear when there are two perfectly good gears below it? If Merc had wanted you to start in third they would have labeled it 1st and why anyone would change up to 4th gear from 3500rpm in 3rd is beyond me
When I'm in 3rd gear and I floor it, the car will pull faster, as the rpm is longer. However it will start to rev above 4000 rpm, thats when u change to 4rd gear.
If it's on "D" U wont get the feel of the car pulling when u floor the pedal.

In highway however, put the transmission to D will give the car a best speed.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:12 AM

987S
Originally Posted by Voize
When I'm in 3rd gear and I floor it, the car will pull faster, as the rpm is longer. However it will start to rev above 4000 rpm, thats when u change to 4rd gear.

Sorry I don't understand any of that?

Are you saying that your SLK350 pulls best from a standing start in 3rd gear?

I haven't a clue what you mean by "as the rpm is longer"

And I still don't see why you would change up so early? your car is not producing peak power by 4000rpm.

Do yourself a favour and try starting in 1st gear in Sport mode....... keep your foot to the floor...... you should find that the car will run upto the redline in each gear and you will probably crap yourself when you realise how quick the car can be when driven correctly.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 AM

hmm lol maybe u r right. I'm no expert at this kind of thing, I never drive a manual car, so i don't really get the rpm concept. Thx though for telling me !
Old 08-17-2006, 10:21 AM

WTF is all that rubbish ?

Further evidence as if it were needed that this guy is actually 6 years of age.

Anyway. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of his fathers Lambo and ****wits SLK.

If ignorance were wealth, this bloke would be loaded
Old 08-17-2006, 10:43 AM

yay i am 6 years old! and somebody is gettin pissed by a 6 years old kid yay!!^^

And you expect me to give u what want? to reply and treat u like a grown man? cry more kiddo, I don't take guys like u seriously. Here's my reply to you. Nya nya nya nya nya :p! (__x__)

"barrp barrp barrp" HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 08-17-2006, 10:50 AM

WTF is wrong with you guys?

I start a thread with a simple question, and you start attacking people.. I see some pretty cool pics of his car, so I don't see how it's a fake car..?

Did an older model of the SLK come with a 3 and 2 below the D? Maybe that's what he was referring to? (The one I just drove has D at the end, and the -/+ options are to the left/right respectively...)
Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 AM

I start a thread with a simple question, and you start attacking people.. I see some pretty cool pics of his car, so I don't see how it's a fake car..?

Did an older model of the SLK come with a 3 and 2 below the D? Maybe that's what he was referring to? (The one I just drove has D at the end, and the -/+ options are to the left/right respectively...)
shadedC I appreciate u hv my back. Ill remember it.

Btw if u want to reply to Easy-SLK's comment, dun bother writing smtng complicated, he wont read it. That's what he is, he likes to **** of other people by writing short nasty meaningless crap. Typical internet jackass. Search at all his post to prove it. In benzworld.org his nick is ripple. search at his post too. ull be amazed to find a bunch of meaningless crap.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:05 AM

987S

I thought all R171 automatics have the 7G box so as far as I can tell he seems to be saying that he starts off in 3rd gear?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:07 AM

I see some pretty cool pics of his car, so I don't see how it's a fake car..?

Whether there is an older model or not he claims to have an SLK350. there was no older model, so wtf you on about

How do you know its his car. Its just pictures, He also calims his father has a lambo. He lives in a ****ing tent in the desert, hes a nomad. Hes probably busy stuffing explosives into dogs.

Look he doesn't have an slk. Read his posts before you start *****ing like a ho. You'll see he claims to drive a Toyota Echo

Just cos he is one of your sort. Its ****ers like you that are causing all the problems in the world right now.

Stop sticking up for him, hes a *****. Yes I am angry, cos this little **** is taking the ****.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 AM

yeap, my bad. I start in 3rd gear coz of the nice sound it makes. Sory my english isnt perfect, i only learn it for 2 yrs. Thx for the help bout the 7G transmissoin thou.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=Voize]shadedC I appreciate u hv my back. QUOTE]

Its ****ing ShahedC you ****. Hes one of your sort, least you can do is spell his ****ing name right
Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 AM

yeap, my bad. I start in 3rd gear coz of the nice sound it makes. Sory my english isnt perfect, i only learn it for 2 yrs. Thx for the help bout the 7G transmissoin thou.
OH **** off you lying camel****er

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: manumatic, Tiptronic or Touchshift?