SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Standard headlights vs Bi-Xenon HIDs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 SLK350 Ird/Blk; 2006 HD Road King
Standard headlights vs Bi-Xenon HIDs

I'm looking purchasing at a 2007 SLK350. Is there a way to tell which type of headlight is on the vehicle by sight? Did the '07 have the same 319 lighting package as the '08? Is there a significant difference between the two?
Thanks,
Sal
Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Vehicles with BIX have the headlight washer doors on the front bumper.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:55 PM

2012 SLK 350 Mars Red
Originally Posted by wingless
Vehicles with BIX have the headlight washer doors on the front bumper.
And a headlight washer button inside next to the headlight switch on the dashboard. There was one car bought used on one of these forums that had been in a wreck and had the front bumper from a HID car with washer cutouts but only the standard headlights installed. It didn't have the switch on the dash board.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 PM

'07 SLK280
Also, if you look at the top of the housing, the 4 slots (above the headlamp that combine in the shape of a trinangle) are open on HID equipped models. If these slots are silver and do not let light through, then the vehicle does not have HID's...

this is true of all models '05-'08

this pic from the MBUSA site helps to illustrate:
Attached Thumbnails Standard headlights vs Bi-Xenon HIDs-roadster_det_2_main.jpg  

Last edited by SLKfor2; 07-17-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 PM

'07 SLK350 Ird/Blk; 2006 HD Road King
Thanks all, it is pretty easy to tell the difference...now

For those of you who have owned both types. Is there a noticable difference from behind the wheel between the two when driving at night?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Xenons are BEST! They illuminate the road much better than halogens. Even as dusk approaches, still light, I can see the illumination on the reflective road signs. For those that don't care, halogens will suffice. I love the look of the xenons inside and outside of the car. Riding down the road, all the cars with xenons are classy cars. About a $1000 option, but money well spent in my opinion.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 PM

MY 05' had the standard lights and when MB replaced my car with an 06' I added the Xenon's and they are worth every penny. I live out in the country in the Pacific North West and when its dark and raining they RULE. They are simply the best lights I have ever owned on any vehicle period or any vehicle I have been in except my buddies truck for long distance with all 6 of his Day Lighters fired up. In traffic on the road it is still no comparison. I can not believe how much light they put out from such a low mounting position exactly where you want it and they do not bother other drivers. I have a truck with 6" lift and it wired so all my lights are on with the brights and its like candles compared to the SLK. I also always get flashed in the truck even though they are aimed down. On acceleration and towing they come up and even the semi's flash me. The self leveling feature is very cool. I would pay $1500 to have them in my truck which I normally have out in ugly weather. It is Dodge truck but the technology from MB didn't seam to flow this way very much.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by redvettx2
....and when MB replaced my car with an 06....
I'm curious, how did you get MB to replace your '05 with the oil consumption issue? Most others got new engines. Regardless you did good. No way would I want a NEW car, any car, that the dealer replaced the engine. I took one of my other cars to get the wheels balanced today. This independent tire shop was doing an engine swap on a VW NewBeetle. The technician had the two engines on the shop floor removing parts from one, and installing on the new, used, rebuilt (?) engine. Unless this guy is a mechanical motor genius, there's no way he could get all the items back on the newer engine and installed without having a few parts left over, pieces not properly connected, etc. If it ain't factory built and installed, I don't want it. Even the factory gets it wrong periodically (oil consumption), but I'll take my chances with them. OK, how did you do it? But I'm glad for ya.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:09 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
Right, factory Xenons are the best if you can afford it. Second best is factory headlamp assembly and swapping the halogen bulbs out for a real Xenon kit (bulbs/ballast setup) which can be had for 150-250. It gives the light output of the factory Xenons but without the bi-xenon (upper cutoff) function. I don't understand how anyone can stand regular halogen bulbs after owning Xenons.
Old 07-09-2024, 04:25 AM

06 r171
Originally Posted by SMarciano1
I'm looking purchasing at a 2007 SLK350. Is there a way to tell which type of headlight is on the vehicle by sight? Did the '07 have the same 319 lighting package as the '08? Is there a significant difference between the two?
Thanks,
Sal
Anyone know where i ca ln buy these xenons?