SLK/R171: iPod kit sound quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe
iPod kit sound quality

When I plug my iPod in through the Aux input in the glove box, the sound quality is kinda shady and the volume is low. Is it any better with the actual iPod kit? The car has nav and is supposed to be "iPod ready."
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
its the same, i think its not that bad.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by midget fidger
When I plug my iPod in through the Aux input in the glove box, the sound quality is kinda shady and the volume is low. Is it any better with the actual iPod kit? The car has nav and is supposed to be "iPod ready."
I did ED and they did not install the iPod kit until it got to the US so I used the AUX in Europe and the built-in back home.

I have no problems with the sound on the builtin and it is cool to be able to work the iPod from the steering wheel. The iPod seems just as loud in the builtin as any other source.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
I realized my little Bose headphone cable doesn't fit in perfectly in the slot. If it's pushed in all the way, I only get sound from the front speakers. If I pull it out slightly, I get sound from all the speakers. That would explain the low volume issue. I'll go see if I can buy a cable that fits better.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:40 AM

'09 E93 335i
make sure the volume on the ipod is all the way up *and* make sure you are adjusting the bass/treble on the comand unit. on the R230 SL's (it's probably the same on the SLK), the AUX bass/treble resets itself to zero every time the car is shut off, so it has to be adjusted back up every time the vehicle is restarted. if you do these two things it should sound excellent.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
You can use also a cable connected to line out of iPod (not head phone jack), In this case you do not need to deal with iPod volume.

Last edited by Dema; 09-03-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by Dema
You can use also a cable connected to line out of iPod (not head phone jack), In this case you do not need to deal with iPod volume.

ummm, what is that and what does it do thats diff from a headphone jack?

ALi
Old 09-03-2007, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
You can plug it in dock connector of iPod and other side in your aux input. Some people believe that line out used in this case provides better sound quality. Signal level of line out isn't affected by volume control.

Last edited by Dema; 09-03-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
I bought a $7 cable from Radio Shack and the sound quality is a lot better
Old 09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK350
Thumbs up

There is another solution:

Well i managed to stay away from the Ipod generation for as long as i could. But it just so happened that i earned enough points on my credit card to get a free Ipod Video 80gb.

Next came the intarface issues/ideas.

Since i have my LCD TV tuner & Media drive sitting on my AUX line, a standard Ipod integration kit is out of the question. Never mind the fact that i have the 6-cd changer sitting in my glovebox where the ipod is supposed to be.

So with a little research i found the Harman Kardon Drive + Play

Volume level is very good, and the sound quality is good as well.

Harman Kardon Drive + Play also known as DP 1 can pretty much do everything the standard Mercedes Benz integration kit does but with a few perks for me.

1. It has an AUX line in, which means i can daisy chain my LCD and Media player into it and select the output whenever i need it.

2. It connects to a standard Aux input, no extra wires.

3. Has a long Ipod dock cable that i routed into my glovebox instead of the MHI kit. Which chargers and all.

4. Jog wheel style controler reminds me of the S550 on my driveway. And is easy to use with all the standard Ipod features.

5. External LCD gives me an uninterupted view of my music and control without lifting my arm off the armrest ( i drive with my left hand only 95% of the time)

6. It costed me $30 brand new in the box from a local overstock seller who has more

Total price for Ipod & Ipod kit = $30, i'm a happy camper
Attached Thumbnails iPod kit sound quality-dscf1701-small-.jpg   iPod kit sound quality-dscf1704-small-.jpg   iPod kit sound quality-dscf1705-small-.jpg   iPod kit sound quality-dscf1698-small-.jpg   iPod kit sound quality-dscf1700-small-.jpg  

Last edited by noregret4life; 09-05-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by noregret4life
There is another solution:

Well i managed to stay away from the Ipod generation for as long as i could. But it just so happened that i earned enough points on my credit card to get a free Ipod Video 80gb.

Next came the intarface issues/ideas.

Since i have my LCD TV tuner & Media drive sitting on my AUX line, a standard Ipod integration kit is out of the question. Never mind the fact that i have the 6-cd changer sitting in my glovebox where the ipod is supposed to be.

So with a little research i found the Harman Kardon Drive + Play

Volume level is very good, and the sound quality is good as well.

Harman Kardon Drive + Play also known as DP 1 can pretty much do everything the standard Mercedes Benz integration kit does but with a few perks for me.

1. It has an AUX line in, which means i can daisy chain my LCD and Media player into it and select the output whenever i need it.

2. It connects to a standard Aux input, no extra wires.

3. Has a long Ipod dock cable that i routed into my glovebox instead of the MHI kit. Which chargers and all.

4. Jog wheel style controler reminds me of the S550 on my driveway. And is easy to use with all the standard Ipod features.

5. External LCD gives me an uninterupted view of my music and control without lifting my arm off the armrest ( i drive with my left hand only 95% of the time)

6. It costed me $30 brand new in the box from a local overstock seller who has more

Total price for Ipod & Ipod kit = $30, i'm a happy camper

I WANT A TV LIKE THAT lol

ALi
Old 09-07-2007, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Wow, that's a really neat install you did there! Looks great!

Without getting the kit, how can I route my single aux ipod cable so that it doesn't come out of the front of the glove box? Right now the cable is making it hard to close...I accelerated a bit hard and the glove box popped open lol.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK350
Wow, that's a really neat install you did there! Looks great!

Without getting the kit, how can I route my single aux ipod cable so that it doesn't come out of the front of the glove box? Right now the cable is making it hard to close...I accelerated a bit hard and the glove box popped open lol.
You will first need to buy an extention cable long enough to route it towards the shifter/glovebox.

1. Open Pass door (US SPEC) and remove the pannel between the dash and the door. Similar to the one on the other side that covers the fuses. Once removed you will see the connector jack's back.
2. Push in the connector jack from the inside of the glovebox. It should release and pop into the area where you have access to now.
3. Connect extention cable, and put a small piece of electrical tape on it (just in case you pull too hard)
4. Remove the lower kick panel on the Pass side (USA SPEC) There should be about 4-5 torx screws.
5. Guide the wire from the access side panel down and over the kickpanel you just exposed. Then to the side of the dash.

At this point you have choices.
-You can remove the sig lighter and route the wire coming out from under is.
-Route it further back to the glovebox
-Route it up by the shifter, or the E-Brake

Really depends on where you want to go. All are fairly easy. Just let me know.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Sweet, thanks a lot! I might give it a try this weekend. We'll see how the cig lighter way looks. I've been putting my Nano in the ash tray when I'm not in the car - it fits perfectly.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK350
Sweet, thanks a lot! I might give it a try this weekend. We'll see how the cig lighter way looks. I've been putting my Nano in the ash tray when I'm not in the car - it fits perfectly.
To remove the ash tray and sig lighter:

-open tray
-gently pull off cover that is surrounding the sig lighter. It just pulls off
-behind it you will see a hex screw < Remove
-on the left side of the ash tray there is a rubber cover < remove it and the screw behind it.

Now the whole thing should just slide out real easy.

It is easier to guide the wire through the ash tray area down first then to the footwell, and then across to the AUX in jack.

Good luck,
Let me know if you need help
-Lenny

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by noregret4life
You will first need to buy an extention cable long enough to route it towards the shifter/glovebox.

1. Open Pass door (US SPEC) and remove the pannel between the dash and the door. Similar to the one on the other side that covers the fuses. Once removed you will see the connector jack's back.
2. Push in the connector jack from the inside of the glovebox. It should release and pop into the area where you have access to now.
3. Connect extention cable, and put a small piece of electrical tape on it (just in case you pull too hard)
4. Remove the lower kick panel on the Pass side (USA SPEC) There should be about 4-5 torx screws.
5. Guide the wire from the access side panel down and over the kickpanel you just exposed. Then to the side of the dash.

At this point you have choices.
-You can remove the sig lighter and route the wire coming out from under is.
-Route it further back to the glovebox
-Route it up by the shifter, or the E-Brake

Really depends on where you want to go. All are fairly easy. Just let me know.

haha i was just about to say that. i was in their yesterday checkin too see if i blew a fuse and i noticed the AUX port wire and got the same idea u just had. i'll be doing this soon and will have some pics up for everyone too. just gotta wait for a non rainy day and some time off.

mine will be run to the cup holer area and i think i'll just have the cable straped into the wall of the cupholder box, should work swell

ALi
Old 09-08-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Why?

Without getting the kit, how can I route my single aux ipod cable so that it doesn't come out of the front of the glove box? Right now the cable is making it hard to close...I accelerated a bit hard and the glove box popped open lol.[/quote]

Not to flame, but we spend $60K on a car; a couple of hundred to do it right seems minor. If you want to use the iPod a lot, there is nothing better as it fits nicely in the console and works nicely from the steering wheel.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK350
To each his own...

Honestly, I am not a fan of the MB interface via the steering wheel. I plugged my ipod into out '07 S550 via the ipod kit, and really did not like the interface.

First it was slow to react to song changes, and browsing on the MFD is not exactly a comfortable place to keep looking at when browsing through an 80g ipod... on a $60k car one would think they would spend a bit more on the navi and ipod kit, and on a $110k MB they better do more then let you access an ipod from the MFD via crappy AUX input. The S550 has not 1, but 2 fully digital LCD sceens to display data... why MB .... Why!!!

I can do a hell of a lot more on my HK ipod kit and its really easy to use. Total cost $30-$70

Sorry... didn't mean to rant on :frant: just had it all bottled up for a while
Old 09-08-2007, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Yeah, I've heard bad things about the interface...correct me if I'm wrong

- You can only see one line of text at a time by the speedo
- The COMAND screen doesn't show any song info or iPod menu info
- You can't have your passenger do the DJ-ing

It seems pretty useless to me haha. Also, I'm a bit **** when it comes to batteries. The idea of charging the battery every time I get in the car bugs me.