SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Tire shopping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E Class
Tire shopping?

I will be buying summer [17"] tires for my 2008 SLK 280 soon and am looking for recommendations from that have used the recommended tire on an SLK for more than handful of miles. My prime concerns are noise level throughout the life of the tires and value. I don't drive as aggressively as I once did. I have been happy with the factory installed Michelins but not at the price!

My tentative short list includes at the moment the Hancook Ventus V12 EVO K110 and the Continental Extreme Contact DW. I would especially appreciate learning of your experience with these.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 PM

2000 C230 sport
Originally Posted by ben721364
I will be buying summer [17"] tires for my 2008 SLK 280 soon and am looking for recommendations from that have used the recommended tire on an SLK for more than handful of miles. My prime concerns are noise level throughout the life of the tires and value. I don't drive as aggressively as I once did. I have been happy with the factory installed Michelins but not at the price!

My tentative short list includes at the moment the Hancook Ventus V12 EVO K110 and the Continental Extreme Contact DW. I would especially appreciate learning of your experience with these.

Thanks.
i came down to the same two tires as you. you definitely arent thinking about road noise, else you'd be going for a GT tire. anyway, i got the hankook and havent looked back. excellent tire.

supposedly, the dw and dws both have thin sidewalls, but they review really well (#1 on tirerack).
Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 PM

2010 E Class
Touring tires would be fine, all else equal. Mine aren't popular sizes for touring tires, however. The General looks pretty good on the Tire Rack list too.

Originally Posted by tex07
i came down to the same two tires as you. you definitely arent thinking about road noise, else you'd be going for a GT tire. anyway, i got the hankook and havent looked back. excellent tire.

supposedly, the dw and dws both have thin sidewalls, but they review really well (#1 on tirerack).
Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM

2000 C230 sport
Touring tires would be fine, all else equal. Mine aren't popular sizes for touring tires, however. The General looks pretty good on the Tire Rack list too.
sport package (17" wheels)?? hankooks are a little louder than your GT, but you'll get good performance from them compared to michelins, and they're cheap. anyway, i would seriously stay away from touring tires on a car like this...definitely not that kind of car. down the road, clk or upcoming c-class coupe would be better and comparably priced for that sort of thing.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 AM

2010 E Class
Thanks tex07. I have more or less decided to buy Continental Extreme Contact DW tyres for the little SLK. On paper at least they appear to meet my criteria better than most, for the price at least. While I have been pleased with most Michelin tires I have used in the past, I have not been impressed with the Primacy line on the SLK. I hear more from them than I like and they only appear to be good for 25k mi in moderate/relaxed driving, properly inflated/balanced, etc.

We may be struggling a bit with terminology across the past few posts in this thread. The initials GT appear to mean different things to different folks...

sport package (17" wheels)?? hankooks are a little louder than your GT, but you'll get good performance from them compared to michelins, and they're cheap. anyway, i would seriously stay away from touring tires on a car like this...definitely not that kind of car. down the road, clk or upcoming c-class coupe would be better and comparably priced for that sort of thing.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM

2000 C230 sport
Thanks tex07. I have more or less decided to buy Continental Extreme Contact DW tyres for the little SLK. On paper at least they appear to meet my criteria better than most, for the price at least. While I have been pleased with most Michelin tires I have used in the past, I have not been impressed with the Primacy line on the SLK. I hear more from them than I like and they only appear to be good for 25k mi in moderate/relaxed driving, properly inflated/balanced, etc.

We may be struggling a bit with terminology across the past few posts in this thread. The initials GT appear to mean different things to different folks...
GT...grand touring...quiet, comfortable more than sticky and responsive

if mileage is an issue, why not consider UHP all seasons? good summers like the dw arent meant for longevity (25k would be great and almost expected...more miles would be a challenge to attain imo).
Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 PM

2010 E Class
Thanks. So-called 'all season' tires definitely meet the needs of many. I'm not among them. <g>

GT...grand touring...quiet, comfortable more than sticky and responsive

if mileage is an issue, why not consider UHP all seasons? good summers like the dw arent meant for longevity (25k would be great and almost expected...more miles would be a challenge to attain imo).
Old 10-16-2010, 11:08 PM

2006 SLK350 2000 SLK230 Limited Edition Renntech stage 2 2003 SL55 AMG Renntech Stage 6
I have Hankook on all 3 of my cars. Great tires.