SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: test drove the M3 today i regret ordering slk350..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Porsche Boxster 987
test drove the M3 today i regret ordering slk350..

I dun mean to rain on anyones parade but i just test drove the m3 and i gotta say WOW...that car is a monster!

I want to cancel my deal with mercedes for the SLK350 as i dont think it will have the power or sheer kick that the m3 delivers.

That car is pure enjoyment..even though in general i dont like bmw that much or its direction toward its future cars but the current m3 is dynamite.

Hmmm I wonder if my dealer will be willing to cancel the deal...
Old 09-08-2004, 09:05 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
i just called my dealer he told me there is no way on canceling the order...

the production of my car is slated for october and i am recieving it in nov early dec.

He said there is no way of me canceling or changing my order if he could he would( i believe thats bull**** but i dun know) even if i wanted another option on the car i couldnt add it since it is already in the system and cannot be changed...

I have brought business to that salesperson a C class and a S class
before and i don;t see why he cant give me a break since I would be a long life buyer of mercedes because so far i dont like the direction bmw is going.

I'm pretty pissed off and if they don't cancel it i would be not happy with the purchase sincei feel like im being forced to buy it..even though i know i made a mistake to put an order on it. I lose out this time but so does that dealership in the long run...if only buying a car didnt involve so much bull**** it would be a pleasent experience.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:24 PM

'05 C230K SS
how long has your car been on order? why didn't you test drive the damn M3 *before* you ordered the SLK?

i don't get how people buy $50K+ cars like they're ordering fast food.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:28 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
i have driven my friends M3 before for like 5 minutes but for some reason it didnt have the same feeling as when i drove it today...

i like it alot more now....

i ordered the car on august 9th....so its been roughly one month.

i live in vancouver
Old 09-08-2004, 10:45 PM

I don't know how the market is in Canada, but in the U.S., you could take delivery of your car and sell it for a profit quickly.

Mel
Old 09-08-2004, 11:29 PM

W208 CLK320
I'm not sure how this happened... every dealership which I have ever dealt with is claiming that the deposit on an order for a vehicle is 100% fully refundable. You should be able to walk in there, say that you changed your mind, and get your entire deposit back. Call other MB Dealerships in your area to confirm this, then ask to speak with his manager.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by kimchiFLAVA
I dun mean to rain on anyones parade but i just test drove the m3 and i gotta say WOW...that car is a monster!

I want to cancel my deal with mercedes for the SLK350 as i dont think it will have the power or sheer kick that the m3 delivers.

That car is pure enjoyment..even though in general i dont like bmw that much or its direction toward its future cars but the current m3 is dynamite.

Hmmm I wonder if my dealer will be willing to cancel the deal...
of course the SLK350 won't have has much power or 'sheer kick' as the M3, it has 65 less horsepower didnt you figure that out before you ordered the slk??if you wanted a car for sheer power, why didn't you order the m3 in the first place??you should have definitely thought that decision over more than you did....
Old 09-08-2004, 11:43 PM

W208 CLK320
Before you order the M3, test-drive it's direct competition: The C32 AMG and the S4. If you're looking at the manual M3, you can skip the C32. For the record: There is no comparison between the SLK350 and the M3. One is a roadster convertible, the other is a sheer-performance coupe.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:21 AM

Theres only one solution.....

SLK55

... I currently drive a 330i, and I was soooooo close to getting the M3 last month, but I saw the SLK55 pictures and stats and chose the SLK55 right away... Where I live in SoCal, theres M3s everywhere and I wanted to stick out so that was on factor, also the fact that the M3 will be outdated come 2006 when the new M3 is released, V8 400HP... now thats going to be a monster, Ima probably trade in my SLK55 then for the M3 when the time comes...
Old 09-09-2004, 03:44 AM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
I like that solution only problem is i have to wait almost one year for the SLK55 since my dealer told me it is gonna be really hard to get one any time sooner. I am not willling to wait one year for the SLK55. And for the m3 im planning to lease for 3 years so by that time it would be at the end of it life cycle.

Yes i know i made a huge mistake by not testing out other cars and i really should test the c32 AMG but since i owned a c class before i dun really feel like im switching cars sort of thing. Plus alot of people do not like the roughness of the m3 i think its perfect since its really exciting to drive.

Talos, thanks i will ask around tommorow and im pretty set for owning the M3
although i think its different in BC canada im pretty sure a binding contract is a binding contract... Anyone from vancouver or canada have any info on this?

I hate to talk about wanting a BMW over a mercedes on this forum but honestly the m3 is the only BMW i like and as for the new styling direction they are going i will most likely own a benz in the future.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:48 AM

W208 CLK320
Originally Posted by shanghai_kid
Where I live in SoCal, theres M3s everywhere and I wanted to stick out
I live in Newport Beach, home of the largest Mercedes Dealership in the world and the highest Citizen-to-Mercedes ratio in America. How long do you think it will be before there are more SLK350's on the road than E46 3-Series? It's unique because it's new... it won't be unique for very long.

Originally Posted by shanghai_kid
also the fact that the M3 will be outdated come 2006 when the new M3 is released
Not so much... people really aren't fans of the new styling, and you lose a great deal of the agility and road feel, like they did with the 5-Series and particularly the 7-Series. The E46 is the last great BMW.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:51 AM

W208 CLK320
Talos, thanks i will ask around tommorow and im pretty set for owning the M3 although i think its different in BC canada
I used to live in Vancouver, and will be moving back there in a month or two. I'd like to mention that in your place, I wouldn't purchase any of the vehicles mentioned in this thread for the following two reasons:

1) The SLK350 isn't the greatest vehicle in Vancouver, where it rains eight months per year and is both very dark, and very cold.
2) The M3, C32, and S4 aren't the greatest vehicles in Vancouver, where the speed limit is 50-55kmh, which translates to approximately 30-35mph. You go everywhere "by road" where it's very crowded and the streets are rough. Ugh... I'd hate to drive a high-performance vehicle in Vancouver.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:15 AM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
I like the weather here yes it rains alot but after the air is so clean and fresh.

Also it usually never gets too hot theres always a nice breeze even on hot days ( 28 C is usually the highest).

I wouldnt want to drive a convertible in too hot weather anyways with the sun burning your skin no thanks...but to each his own.

Anyways anyone know if i am allowed to cancel this order so i can put it in my dealers face and tell him to screw off?
Old 09-09-2004, 04:18 AM

W208 CLK320
Anyways anyone know if i am allowed to cancel this order so i can put it in my dealers face and tell him to screw off?
I suggested that you contact other dealerships in your area and ask them about their policies. I also suggested that you contact the manager at your dealership. What did they say?
Old 09-09-2004, 04:48 AM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
I have yet to talk to him since its 2 A.M here i'll call in tommorow and ask to talk to the manager.

It was kind of funny because when i asked to talk to the manager today my dealer told me that he was just about to step out the door so i couldnt talk to him...might of well been though cause i called at like 6 p.m there closing time.

thanks for the suggestion makes sense to call in other dealerships and see what they have to say about those policies..
Old 09-09-2004, 08:48 AM

Yea, then go for the M3!!!

id choose the M3 over the slk350 too...

i guess youll be changing homes to e46fanatics.com
its an awesome board...
Old 09-09-2004, 11:21 AM

M3 vs slk 350

I've owned an M3 and test driven a slk 350. Two very different cars. I'll assume that the convertible aspect is not important to you. The m3 is quicker and will handle better. Do not get the smg transmission! I sold the m3 after 6 months because the car's initial appeal wore off real soon. It had a rock hard suspension and on any highway trip over 45 min there was too much road noise along with creaks and rattles from mediocre build quality. Had some reliability issues. It's quick up to 90 mph and then it dies. I owned an m5 at the same time and it was a much superior car. I would buy a used m5 or a corvette long before an m3. I've also driven an audi s4. It's a decent car and corners slightly better than m3, but too heavy and boring. BMW tends to use gearing and engine dynamics to develop decent magazine numbers, but I've found that in real life daily driving like the z4 they're not all that. If I were you I'd buy a used m5 or c6 vette and wait on the slk55 or z06 vette.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:51 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
thanks and iono if im changing to an M3 though so i migh not change forums
i dont really wanna change forums its like going to a new school where your a starnge at first...not that i dont think there nice jus iono i don't like to change.

Well i just called my dealership boy! did i make a mistake buying through them!
Well first I called other dealerships in vancouver and asked what were the policies on canceling an order. They told me they could cancel the car as long as the production hasnt started but it really depends on the dealers discretion. So i guess i have a really bad dealer. But the person i called was just a salesperson since all the managers in vancouver are at a meeting..

haha ok so then i call my dealership and talk to my dealer hes telling me he cant refund it and if he could he would...bla bla bla bla. Bull****! even if they cant cancel the order( production starts OCT) and they go ahead and build the car they seem not want to take the SLK in there own hands even if indeed they cant cancel the order which i highly doubt.
The options i ordered were manual, metallic black, Bi XENON and air scarf.
I think the only option they would have a hard time selling would be the manual. But i could just change the order right to automatic so it would be easier for them to sell...that what the other dealer from another dealership told me as long as its not in production. This is getting real ugly real fast...
Old 09-09-2004, 02:18 PM

Talos,

you are comparing wrong cars, of course the slk350 will be everywhere, just like 330s and 325s,

but the SLK55 will be very rare, because of limited production and scarce availablility, so I was comparing the SLK55 to the M3.

Also about the new design M3, people already love it, its so agressive looking, what do you mean" lose agility and road feel"? If any, itll have MORE agility and roadfeel.

Go stroll over to e46fanatics.com and do a search of it, and you'll see the postive opinions. Not to clown the current e46( I still currently drive my 330i) , but I have to say the new M3 looks so much nicer... but I guess to each its own..
Old 09-09-2004, 03:40 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
refunds

Kimchi,
I fail to see your logic a bit - but if you really DO want to cancel your order, as long as you haven't signed a contract-to-purchase with the dealer, or signed explicitly that you are making a commitment to buy, it is illegal for them to keep any deposit on any automobile not yet delivered to you (don't mind the 'production' - delivered to YOU). Of course they don't like it. Of course they'll give you all this run-around; but I assume you didn't sign some strange piece of paper (that would be very unethical of them and I'd report them to MBUSA). In that case, you can cancel anytime, no matter what options or if the thing is at the dealership; period. I hope it doesn't deteriorate that much, but you might have to threaten with legal action (and be prepared to do so). DOn't take the car and sell it - that's much, much worse financially.
BTW, between the M3 and the 350, I'd take the M3 (or a 911). I'd rather have an SLK55 before the M3 anytime though.
Best,
Dan
Old 09-09-2004, 06:17 PM

'05 C230K SS
thanks and iono if im changing to an M3 though so i migh not change forums i dont really wanna change forums its like going to a new school where your a starnge at first...not that i dont think there nice jus iono i don't like to change.
Did you seriously just say that? You're deciding between two $50K+ cars based (in part) on whether you'll feel like an social outcast or not in their respective online forums?

How old are you, man?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its total BS by Kimchi and its total BS by the dealer (if they did say you cant canel the order).

I can walk away from a car even if it is custom built to my specs and sitting right in front of me. Its total BS that someone would even tell you that you can cancel an order when the car hasnt been put into production yet. Dont portrait yourself like people from Vancouver are all coming from Jurassic Park. The problem is you have to find the right person who has the power to make those kind of decisions. You have to understand that people cannot walk into a dealership, custom order a car and then cancel it whenever they want, if everybody is like you, how are they going to run a business???

M3s are everywhere in Vancouver. They are fast, but definitely not "wow, f**king fast". I think for MB to put a pretty powerful engine on such a tiny SLK is amazing. M3 has 268 lbs-ft of torque where the SLK350 has 258 lbs-ft. M3 is almost 200 lbs heavier than the SLK. SLK will lose at high speed, but from a rolling start, its not like the SLK will get smoked in 3 secs. SLK is not a slow car at all.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
You are being far too soft. Step into that dealership, tell that guy that he is there JUST to represent your needs and interests in the products he is representing. If he says 'no' 1 more time, tell him that you will turn away many potential customers, make him look like a very bad sales man (or **** head), and lose a loyal customer for life.

Bam, 1 grand in your pocket; take your girlfriend to dinner, and buy the car of your choice, all of us here will support you with whatever car you end up purchasing!
Old 09-09-2004, 08:45 PM

05 CLK 320
yhea exactly buy what ever car you want
Old 09-09-2004, 09:06 PM

W208 CLK320
Originally Posted by Harris
M3s are everywhere in Vancouver.
Since when?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: test drove the M3 today i regret ordering slk350..