SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Front License Plates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Lightbulb Front License Plates

For those of us who do want to display our front license plates, I thought I might post my experience. I sought out a plain, thinner chrome frame to border the plate. Then I took both the plate and the frame (separately) and slowly bent them over a plastic 5 gallon pail (like in the picture). I slowly worked it to get the angle bend of the plastic frame on the front bumper, then attached it. The bend matching the backing relieves stress on the mounting screws...

Just a post for those that wish it...
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plates-licplate.jpg  
Old 01-19-2005, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Looks Good

I told my dealer NOT to install the front plate on my E55 before taken delivery. Car looks so much better with nothing upfront. Live in MD which is a 2 plate state but have had the car over a year with no problems.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That's such a beautiful picture. I love the nose.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:20 AM

2005 SLK 350, Obs Blk/Ash
Originally Posted by Motzkoman
For those of us who do want to display our front license plates, I thought I might post my experience. I sought out a plain, thinner chrome frame to border the plate. Then I took both the plate and the frame (separately) and slowly bent them over a plastic 5 gallon pail (like in the picture). I slowly worked it to get the angle bend of the plastic frame on the front bumper, then attached it. The bend matching the backing relieves stress on the mounting screws...

Just a post for those that wish it...
Thks for the tip. I was able to get my dealer to forego attaching the front plate. MA is also a 2-plate state. Getting an inspection sticker in MA requires front view plate. So I must devise some way of temporarily attaching at inspection time. Your tips will help. I was surprised that Mercedes didnt engineer a less invasive way of attaching the plate. My former vehicle (Miata) had an ingenious front bracket that attached from under the front bumper and purposely left an inch of space between the bumper and bracket plate. With all the forward thinking that went into this vehicle, I would have expected the same attention to detail in the front licence plate. Bottom line...I was not going to allow anyone to drill holes into the front of my vehicle. Thks again for the tips. Drive fast!

bobbyM
Old 01-20-2005, 06:31 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
Here's my answer:
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plates-pict0049-1.jpg  

Last edited by CP1; 01-20-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:08 PM

2005 SLK 350, Obs Blk/Ash
Originally Posted by CP1
Here's my answer:
Awesome idea!! I wish I would have thought of that.

Thanks CP1-Man!

In a pinch I could attach it with bread bag ties if I had to (kidding but would probably work!)
Old 01-29-2005, 12:22 PM

2005 SLK350
I'd be afraid that last solution would rob you of some airflow, causing you to run on the hot side during highway driving. I know the intake is in the top grill, but the flow still aids in cooling. It's a great short term solution (to pass inspection), but I wouldn't want to do that for the long term.

I'm fortunate to live in a one-plate state, so I won't have to worry about it unless I move. My dealer didn't drill holes in my bumper. They said it was against their religion. Gave me the bracket in case I wanted it, but it was in the trunk.

While we're on topic, the simple chrome plate frame available from the dealer is a big improvement over the main plate on the back. I'll send pictures when I get off my duff and take them. It's about $35 or so, and I haven't been able to find one as simple and clean looking anywhere else. It doesn't say MB or anything else on it, so it's sharp.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:23 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
I'll post back when the hot weather arrives, but I don't anticipate a problem. The license plate is offset from the grille by 1 1/8 inch spacers.