SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK 350 Headlamp Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 350 Headlamp Replacement

Anyone tried to replace headlamp/indicator bulbs? The manual implies that access to the headlamp assembly is easy. However there is so much metalwork in the way I cannot find a way of accessing it.

Is bulb replacment possible without removing half of the engine or is it only a garage fit?

Thanks in anticipation.

PW
Old 02-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
I really want to know too!
Old 02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 SLK350
Just play around with it and you'll get it. Start with passenger side because driver side is harder to see/access.

Just hold onto it and turn. thats it!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
Go out and find a small child with terriffic hand strength. THEY will have no problem getting their skinny little arms in there and twisting the bulbs out.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Almost a Member!

Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
I know there are people that have done that on another forum, but I am looking for more of a complete write up instead of ideas.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:53 AM

Headlamp Replacement

Not having a small child to hand, I have attempted to gain access as is being suggested.

All I've managed so far is to remove the large plastic cover concealing the dipped beam headlamp fitting.

I am now struck with the thought that even if I can remove the lamp and its holder (which I still cannot), there seems to be not enough cable attached to bring it out to a position where I can remove and replace the bulb itself.

If I were to take the job to a garage, how would they attempt it? Surely the mundane job of changing a bulb should be possible by the owner.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 AM

SLK 350 replaced with E320 CDI
I was one of the people who posted on the 'other' forum about the difficulty of changing the bulbs, and I don't know how helpful you are going to find this.

Basically, there is no easy way! In my case, with a right-hand drive car the only way was to unbolt the header tank and move it out of the way (with the pipes still connected) to get access to the driver's side headlamp. I was able to get to the passenger side bulb without unbolting anything, but in both cases I tore considerable gashes in my arm - most of them caused by cable ties. It was a painful and frustrating experience. In my early attempts I even managed to break a bulb which exploded lots of little shards into the headlamp enclosure. Apparently the type of bulb on the SLK has compressed gas inside it - probably why they advise wearing safety goggles when changing the bulb.

Ultimately, my 'way in' was to put my arm in line (parallel) with the front bumper inside the engine bay and approach the lamp from that angle. Initially it seemed that it would be possible to place my arm at an angle that was more in line with the car itself to get access, but experience taught me that this was not the way to go.

As you've already noted, the cables attached to the bulb holders are very short making it difficult to even remove and replace the bulb. I wore latex gloves just in case my fingers came into contact with the glass of the halogen bulb.

I wish you much luck. Oh and if you can avoid the arm gashes, all the better...
Attached Thumbnails SLK 350 Headlamp Replacement-dsc00074.jpg  

Last edited by SLicK350; 02-16-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:21 PM

2005 SLK350
This may seem like a silly question, but why? Have you already had a bulb go out? Or are you looking to put a higher power bulb in?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:13 AM

SLK 350 replaced with E320 CDI
In my case I wasn't happy with the light output of the standard bulbs and so I immediately upgraded to some Osram Silver Star ones (50% brighter). I routinely change the dipped headlamp bulbs whenever I get a new car as an added safety measure.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 PM

2005 slk350 r171
Headlamp Bulb Change

To changed the passenger side low beam bulb, I turned the front wheels all the way left or all the way right and then went in through the wheel well, I just removed like 4 or 5 of the screws with the flat caps that hold the plastic shield in place, then I was able to pull it aside enough to reach in and get to the back of the headlamp and unscrew the bad bulb and then replace it with the new one. aligning the tabs and getting the lightbulb in without dropping it and also without getting any fingerprints on it was a bit difficult, but I used the shear latex sugical type gloves. I couuld still feel enough with my fingers to align everything and get it back in. I almost dropped it a few times and it took like 3 trys to get it correct. I think you may find this method easier, not sure if this will work for the Drivers side or not but I think so. My SLK350 is a 2005 model and only has 65,000 miles on it. I have had to replace only the low beam on the drivers side, i used a stock OEM part, I wish I would have used a brighter bulb or a special type because the low beams are almost too low in lumens output, but then they cost a lot more and I would have had to do the pair. I may try this next time one burns out....... Hope this is of some help.