SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

Picked up 03 SLK AMG...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 SLK 32 AMG
Picked up 03 SLK AMG...

Awesome car, but already had to bring it back to the dealer twice! Had the tranny lock into 2nd gear.. then 1st. Dealer had to replace a "valve" in the shifter? Then had a xenon head light go, which, after pulling the fender, they realized was just a fuse.

I have the car 2 weeks, and put on 850 miles. Does anyone else have reliability problems? I intend to drive the car hard, after the 1,000 mile break in, and am beginning to worry.

Dave in NY
Old 08-11-2002, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
So far -

dented AMG door sill and scratched clearcoat on front wheel before delivery - replaced (I had to write a letter to MB USA and the VP of the dealership to get the wheel replaced - this took 5 weeks to get resolved)
engine hood liner fell off and was resting on engine covers- replaced
both turnsignals fill with water when washing car - replaced 2x
turnsignal housing popped out while cruising down the highway - replaced
engine ticks horribly (sounds like exhaust leak) - dealer diagnosed as normal
trunk difficult to open/close when top is down (so bad my wife can't open it when the top is down and I have to pull so hard I feel like I'm going to break the handle) - diagnosed as normal
squeak from supercharger - after 3 trips to dealer, dealer ordered new supercharger, supposed to go in this week for replacement
@~5000 miles the front brakes have started squeaking - diagnosed as normal
hood emblem has lost most of it's color - haven't had to dealer for this yet
passenger side seat squeaks constantly, with or without passenger in the seat - haven't had to dealer for this yet
occasionally while driving on highway, car won't shift into top gear unless I slap the shifter to the + side, even though the display says "D" - haven't had to dealer for this yet

I think that's it so far. I'm extremely disappointed with the quality of the car and the service which I've received from both MB and the dealership where I purchased the car. I've purchased $20,000 cars with better initial quality than my SLK32.

I do enjoy the car, the power is adequate for a daily driver (I have a 600hp weekend car and a Hayabusa ) and it gets lots of attention while driving it. However, I've had it back to the dealer 5-6 times for a total of 15+ days in the short time I've owned it. I'm documenting all the problems, in case I have to lemon the car back to Mercedes.

I'm frightened what those idiots at the dealer are going to **** up when they replace the supercharger on the car.

All I can say, thank goodness for warranties and the fact that I get Mercedes loaners when I take the car in for service. I have a friend with a Bimmer and she got a Geo when she took her car in for scheduled service!
Old 08-12-2002, 08:48 PM

'03 SLK 32 AMG
This definitely doesn't give me confidence.. but time will tell.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:43 AM

will be getting my 03 slk32 soon too. i hope i have no probs.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:30 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK32
WayneE..................

I noticed your post and wanted to address some of your issues!

The trunk can be adjusted by as good tech. I had this problem on mine and they solved it in about an hour, works fine now.

THe supercharger squeak is normal! THe sound is the clutch engaging and disengaging. Most SLK32s that I know of have this issue. Replacing the SC unit to try and solve it is asking for trouble unless they really think that there is a problem.

The water in the lights is a problem that I have had but have not looked for the cause. Porsche had this problem on the 964 until they redisigned the rear light housing vents, I think that Mercedes will offer a similar fix in time. The water seems to dry up in a matter of hours now so I am not worried.

As to the signal falling out...sounds like the dealer screwed something up.

Your seat squeak...make sure that the seat is not all the way back and touching the rear panel behind the seat. It is probably this or the passenger door seal squeaking.

The pulsing sound that sounds like an exhaust leak is normal and is fuel return related. There is a recall that makes it less annoying but it will still be there. I don't like it either but this noise along with the SC squeak as the clutch engages are little quriks that ultra high performance cars suffer from.

I am somewhat used to it having driven a Ferarri 355F1 for 2 years and living with it's odd noises makes the SLK32 sound like a well padded luxo cruiser!
Hope this helps!
Old 09-23-2002, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Re: WayneE..................

Originally posted by CarlJ
I noticed your post and wanted to address some of your issues!

Thanks, Carl. I need all the help I can get

The trunk can be adjusted by as good tech. I had this problem on mine and they solved it in about an hour, works fine now.

It's something I've learned to live with at this point. If it gets worse, I'll have it looked at again.

THe supercharger squeak is normal! THe sound is the clutch engaging and disengaging. Most SLK32s that I know of have this issue. Replacing the SC unit to try and solve it is asking for trouble unless they really think that there is a problem.

Good advice, Carl... or maybe not? I decided to leave the SC alone, hoping it was just the normal squeak. On the way home from the beach yesterday, the clutch wouldn't engage so I had no supercharger. It finally started working and I had power again.

This AM, I head out to the DMV to get tags for my race car's trailer. Get in and out in 35 minutes (score!), but when I start up my SLK it decides to idle at 3000 rpm. Turned it off, started it up and same thing. Put it in gear and it surges, varying engine speed by 1000-1500 rpm. I limped home and called MB service. They're heading up to get the car now.

I am really growing to hate this car. In the few short months I've owned it, it's been in the shop for a total of about 3 weeks.

Anyone want to buy a well cared for '02 SLK32?
Old 09-26-2002, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
So the dealer's had my SLK32 since Monday afternoon (I had to wait 2hrs for a tow to the dealer). I told them about the driveability issues and the supercharger not engaging, along with asking for a 10,000 mile service and to fix the squeaking of both seats and a squeak in the console.

They have not been able to duplicate the driveability problems and they're looking into the seat squeaks.

To say I'm underwhelmed by the quality of this car is an understatement.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:51 PM

Dinan M3 (E36)
Unhappy

Not to say I am a pessimist, but I keep hearing about these issues on multiple websites. I started some threads else where on this site trying to get a feel for daily drivability and upgradablility/tuning. Now I've never owned a Benz before, but it looks as if I should pass on the SLK after reading all the owner dissatifaction comments.

Jason

99 Dinan M3
Old 10-02-2002, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally posted by nippjas
Not to say I am a pessimist, but I keep hearing about these issues on multiple websites. I started some threads else where on this site trying to get a feel for daily drivability and upgradablility/tuning. Now I've never owned a Benz before, but it looks as if I should pass on the SLK after reading all the owner dissatifaction comments.
It seems to be a crap shoot with MB build quality and the quality of their dealers. That said, I've heard as many peeps *****ing about BMW quality and service, especially on the higher performance models like the M3. If you sell a buttload of cars, you're bound to build some stinkers occasionally. It just sucks when you get a stinker (like mine!)

So here's my current status:

When we last left our hero, his SLK was towed to the dealer and they were diagnosing the problem with driveability. They initially said they couldn't duplicate the problem, then it was the MAF and finally it was the accelerator pedal. At the same time, I asked them to perform the 10k mile service, fix both seats squeaks, a console squeak and replace the hood emblem.

I just picked up the car (they had it for 6+ days). They replaced the supercharger and the accelerator pedal. Car seems to drive fine, supercharger squeak is gone and the engagement/disengagement of the supercharger clutch is much smoother (it was very abrupt before). They replaced the hood emblem, but used a different emblem. WTF?! They said they fixed the seats, but the driver's seat still squeaks. They claimed they couldn't reproduce the console squeak, but of course it squeaked as soon as I got in the car. I can only assume they performed the 10k mile service.

I'm extremely frustrated that I can't seem to get good service from this dealer. I live in the Metro DC area and this is a very large MB dealer in Bethesda, MD (EuroMotorcars). I have a very good service writer, but it seems like most others at the dealership are idiots (sales people, service writers, service manager, technicians, etc). I suppose it's time for another letter writing compaign to complain about the service there.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:12 PM

Dinan M3 (E36)
I was waiting for someone to bash the M3...And I agree, but the service related issues are all on the new E46 M3. My E36 M3 has close to 85K miles on it and I have never, other than a clutch and brake pads, and other routine maint items had to service it...And I beat it regularly at autocrosses and onelappers. I didn't buy the new M because of the rumor of the new "World Motor" eating itself. I have a friend who has gone as far as to sue BMWNA because they don't regonize an issue and wouldn't replace the motor under warranty. My friends new M3 blew its motor during a daily cummute to the office. Dealer read the computer and said he redlined it for 17 seconds...WTF!!! These cars have revlimiters! I take mine to the red all the time with no issues. FYI it has been proven by members of BMWCCA that the failure is directly related to the crank bearing assembly.

I realize the fact that I am a Bimmer owner gets some heat in here...but I slammed the door shut on the SLK because all I heard was the complaints, I asked some legit questions only to be ignored. So you tell me...Should I make this type of investment without knowing all of my options?

Jason
99 Dinan M3
Old 10-02-2002, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
I think you missed the point of my post. I wasn't bashing the M3 at all. I was pointing out that all manufacturers have some problems. I truly could not care less what you drive I wanted to relay my experiences with MB. How you use that information is entirely up to you.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:43 AM

2002 SLK 32
Talking One Man's Experience

I've been following this thread for a while and am saddened that some SLK 32 owners have had negative experiences. I hope I can help present the possitive side of ownership.

I've had my SLK 32 for a little over a year (Aug '01) and have encountered few problems (Fuel Tank Float is about it). I haven't experienced problems opening the trunk, no squeeks in the super charger and no problems with the tranny.

I have also probably had more driving experience with the car than most, as I've racked up nearly 20k miles! This brings me to my point... if you buy one of these cars, you'll NEVER be sorry, if you're a driving enthusiast. Even if you encounter the problems that have befallen other owners in this thread, the joy of driving it will surely melt away any frustration those problems have wrought.

If you do choose to buy one, be careful and have a lawyer on retainer as it's very difficult to keep this car out of the triple digits!

Black/Alpaca '02 32 with everything on it
Old 10-04-2002, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Re: One Man's Experience

Originally posted by BenzLover
This brings me to my point... if you buy one of these cars, you'll NEVER be sorry, if you're a driving enthusiast. Even if you encounter the problems that have befallen other owners in this thread, the joy of driving it will surely melt away any frustration those problems have wrought.
I was thinking the same thing, but when I went to drive the car to the gym today, the check engine light was glowing at me

I'm taking the car back in on Monday.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:14 PM
aga

SLK32 AMG
Wayne,

Sorry to hear of all your problems. I am dissatisfied with the quality of the car as well. I just posted this message in another thread as well.

-Alan

=============

1) The day of delivery the CD changer reports to the radio that “NO CD PLAYER” is installed. They replaced the changer unit, works fine. Salesman is an idiot.

2) A few days later the power driver’s seat stops working. As my wife and I are not exactly the same height this isn’t workable, particularly since it stopped in-between both settings of course. They said the cable was misrouted and it tore the connector off. They replaced the cable.

3) A short time later after reading about it on the net I checked and sure enough we had the C-pillar rub problem. Luckily we caught it early so they fixed the trunk and buffed out the spot nicely. However, they also dropped something on the driver’s doorsill. So another trip in was required to replace the doorsill. The AMG sill must be tinfoil as we already have small dents in both sides again.

4) I also complained about a lag in acceleration under moderate to light throttle as well as a significant delay in the manual shifting of the automatic. They couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I have since decided that the lag was a combination of driving it lightly during break-in, and the 1-2 shift at light throttle. The transmission is supposedly smart and learns how to shift for you, but I don’t know about that. Anyhow when accelerating lightly (when stuck behind other cars only of course :-) the 1-2 shift is early and at low RPM. It shifts slow to be nice and seems to have quite a lull in acceleration. Putting it into Winter mode actually solves this as it starts in 2nd gear and the first shift is over 20 MPH.

The manual shifting lag is another problem that I have yet to resolve. If you manually shift there is almost a second delay before the shift happens. When it shifts though it does shift fast (AMG Speedshift). It’s just the delay before it does it. Is this normal? They say it is. To me this is essentially useless as a manual then. I have a track date in November and I will find out how it effects things then.

5) I have recently noticed that the Anti-Rollback feature of the transmission no longer works. That is if you are on a hill you are supposed to be able to let go of the brake and it will hold. The once (and really only once) I tried this on one of the steepest streets in S.F. it worked perfect. But I must admit I wasn’t comfortable with my foot of the brake (neither was my wife). Anyhow since then I have noticed it doesn’t work anymore. I have yet to bring it in for this.

6) Lastly we also have difficulty squeezing the trunk latch sometimes. This seems intermittent but needs to be fixed.

Overall I am not at all pleased with the quality of the car in this respect. In the first month it was in the shop 3 (4 if you count the dead CD at delivery). Yet my Dodge Minivan NEVER made a trip to the dealer until the warranty was about to expire. I had 3 problems, but nothing required me to bring it in until I was concerned it was going to expire (3 years that is).

We have now had the car a little over a year, and we do LOVE it. Quality aside it’s a wonderful car. We only have about 6500 miles on it though. It’s a shame that most of our driving is very close trips. We love a longer drive. I am amazed how much stuff I can cram into that trunk (with the top up).

The seats squeak against the back as I’m tall and I think there is a little too much wind noise on the side windows.

I changed the oil once, I couldn’t stand to let it go for 10K Miles. Though now it’s been over a year and I thought the service indicator should say it needs to be changed. 1 Year or 10K miles.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:07 AM

2003 SLK 32 AMG Pewter Silver
Smile

I have had my 03 slk 32 for 2 weeks now and am happy to report no problems at all so far, knock on wood. brandon
Old 01-14-2003, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I'm on my 3rd SLK now.

- 99 SLK 230, seat squeak, replaced seat.

- 01 SLK 320, fan controller went beserk drained battery, replaced. Roof pillar rub, replaced foam, detailed car.

- 03 SLK 32 AMG, no problems so far.

Both the 230 and the 320 were tracked extensively at the local roadcourse. Everything that had problems was covered under warranty, including the full detail/wax job .
Old 01-15-2003, 12:26 AM

W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
rage2:

Which piller of the top rub ?

NP
Old 01-15-2003, 01:14 AM
aga

SLK32 AMG
Look at:
http://www.slk32.com/pages/cpillar/cpillar.html

-Alan
Old 01-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 SLK 32
Your problem is the dealer and his marginal mechanics....

Euro Motor Cars has a reputation, and it's not good.
I suggest you try ASC in Fairfax, VA. or Herb Gordon in Silver Spring, MD.
My neighbors kid works at Euro, and he has a hard time blowing his nose without help. Reportedly the higher ups like the kid and think he does great job, believe me, I've seen him work on his quad runner, he shouldn't be allowed to work anything other then a broom.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:59 PM

W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Bruce, what you opinion on HBL, that's where I got my SLK230.

NP
Old 01-21-2003, 04:03 AM
Almost a Member!

C43 AMG; SLK32 AMG
Sorry to hear so many problems with SLK32AMG. I always believed AMG was a notch above the norm, for Benz. So far our 2002 SLK32 has not been back to the dealer. It's done 14k Km(approx.9k miles). We were informed about the sqeaking Kompressor/Supercharger but were assured that it would quieten down after 8k km (5000 miles) and it did. Still hear it though. The Tiptronic gear +/- seemed to work ok a one second lag is normal. Currently due to Canadian winter it's in storage.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally posted by C43BlkAMG
Currently due to Canadian winter it's in storage.
Awww... what a waste!

Old 01-21-2003, 01:48 PM
aga

SLK32 AMG
A one second lag in shift is normal? I find that hard to believe. They might as well scrap the whole thing and just put a normal shifter in threre. You can shift a manual twice in that time. I am very disapointed with that aspect of the shifting. I have been waiting to speak with someone who actually knows as the dealer simply says the same thing. That's normal.

-Alan
Old 01-21-2003, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally posted by aga
A one second lag in shift is normal? I find that hard to believe. They might as well scrap the whole thing and just put a normal shifter in threre. You can shift a manual twice in that time. I am very disapointed with that aspect of the shifting. I have been waiting to speak with someone who actually knows as the dealer simply says the same thing. That's normal.

-Alan
It's true that the speedshift tranny in the SLK32 still takes ~1 second to shift after getting the signal to do so, but what the ECU does under acceleration is at about 4500rpm in 1st gear it signals the tranny to shift, so at 6000rpm the tranny shifts into 2nd gear. It's a full throttle shift, never off the power (dyno the car at the shift points and you'll see what I mean). Same goes for automatic downshifting under hard braking, the ECU will signal downshifts pretty early to ensure you're still in the powerband after braking.

Sure you can shift a manual transmission in much less time, but the comparison isn't fair. The speedshift tranny takes 1 second to shift after receiving a command, but the mechanical shift itself is lightning quick and at full throttle. On a manual tranny car, when you choose to shift, it's a mechanical shift, but it takes say 2/10ths of a second, during that time you lose power for 2/10ths of a second.

Also, with a manual transmission, it's not a power shift (unless you really feel like abusing the manual tranny/clutch). This is the advantage of the Speedshift tranny... basically powershifting through each gear, never losing power causing deceleration. One of the reasons why the SL55 AMG beat so many cars from 200-300km/h in the euro test a few months ago... at 230, when a Manual Tranny car shifts, the loss of power causes the car to lose 10km/h due to aerodynamic drag.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:21 PM
aga

SLK32 AMG
Don't get me wrong. I love how fast the tranny actually shifts. It’s FAST, and that’s great. But I find it hard to believe that it takes it 8/10ths of a second to “think” about what it wants to do, or that it’s actually doing “something” that you don’t sense for that time.

And yes, when the power stays on it accelerates great. I did some timings with a G-Tech meter and I was able to get 4.70 0-60 time. Pretty close to the 4.5 Car and Driver got, but my cycle is rated as 3.5 seconds 0-60 and I couldn’t manage better that 4.87. Trying to modulate the clutch against the throttle and wheel slip is VERY hard. The SLK just grabs and GOES. I found that ESP off and certain parts of the road (stickiest) worked best. If the ESP kicks in forget the time. If you get a little slip it usually hooks right up and still goes, but you don’t get the best time.

So I still think the 3/4 - 8/10 of a second latency is unacceptable, but I do love the car.

-Alan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Picked up 03 SLK AMG...