SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Designo Crisis!! :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 545i, SLK55 AMG (on order)
Designo Crisis!! :(

Hey everyone. I'm looking into buying an SLK55 AMG (by "looking into," of course, I mean I'm so gonna buy one..) and I used the configurator on MBUSA.com, and I really, really want (hence, NEED) wood trim in my SLK. I'm gonna order one from my dealer in Ft. Myers and before I go to the dealer I was wondering if any of you here know if there's any way to get the designo interior colors w/o the exterior.. because I really want the Espresso interior but I want a silver '55.

Also, on the 320 configurator you can choose wood trim as one of the options for only a couple grand, but that option isn't in the '55 configurator, just designo.

And if there's no way to get wood trim special ordered on a silver one.. how much would it cost me to get it painted over in metallic silver?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by r i d e r; 03-07-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Good idea, re-spray a brand new 55.

Why not have the interior trim custom done, it'll cost less than ruining your re-sale with a new paintjob.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:11 PM

lol, I don't know that much about cars (I'm only 16 & this is my first car)... Didn't know that re-spraying was bad. How much do you think it would cost to get a custom wood trim interior? If I can do that that'd be even better but I thought it'd cost like $10K for all that. Also, where do you think I could get it done? Like what kind of shop?
Old 03-07-2005, 09:05 PM

10 E63
Napoleon Dynamite?

I really hope I am wrong or we got another "SLK 55 AMG"

Cheers
Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 PM

I don't get it?

Last edited by r i d e r; 03-07-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG; 1999 BMW X5
Originally Posted by SLK55NEWB
I really hope I am wrong or we got another "SLK 55 AMG"

Cheers

To Late!

Actually read the other thread rider, the SLK55 AMG is currently not being produced for new orders. Mercedes Benz in Germany closed all production of the model for an unspecified reason.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
You need wood trim ?

I think you need to finish your high school homework and stop daydreaming...
Old 03-09-2005, 03:07 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
Originally Posted by respdoc
You need wood trim ?

I think you need to finish your high school homework and stop daydreaming...
LOL! Houston, we've got another SLK 55 AMG on board.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:56 PM

lol.. sorry I don't research the car as much as everyone else. And to the guy that said to finish my HS homework and stop dreaming, are you really trying to say I can't buy this car? I own my own business, thanks.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:18 PM

2019 CLS
Originally Posted by r i d e r
lol.. sorry I don't research the car as much as everyone else. And to the guy that said to finish my HS homework and stop dreaming, are you really trying to say I can't buy this car? I own my own business, thanks.
I'm sorry but I have a feeling Mercedes Credit will deny you when they found out your business is a seasonal lemonade stand...
Old 03-09-2005, 06:41 PM

lmao that's pretty cute. I love it when people think I can't afford **** like this, I have a Rolex and everyone thinks it's fake cuz I'm 16.

(btw, you're pretty close - I produce, bottle & sell gourmet sauces, they're in almost every Pricechopper or Hannaford in the NY capital district)

- Anyway, they stopped producing the AMG? Does that mean they still make just the SLK55 or is the AMG the only 55 version MB makes? You (meaning whoever) can respond with whatever sarcasm you want, I just wanna know.

Last edited by r i d e r; 03-09-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:55 PM

2019 CLS
lmao that's pretty cute. I love it when people think I can't afford **** like this, I have a Rolex and everyone thinks it's fake cuz I'm 16.

(btw, you're pretty close - I produce, bottle & sell gourmet sauces, they're in almost every Pricechopper or Hannaford in the NY capital district)
Ok..interesting...I'll play along for a little bit...I assume this is really your parents business since unless you started making these sauces at the age of say..10..it would take some time for them to go regional...

In any case....save your money..invest in CD's, mutual funds, and wise stock transactions and you will be able to buy a Bentley in your early 20's in any shade, type of wood you desire if you play your cards right...
Old 03-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey everyone. I'm looking into buying an SLK55 AMG (by "looking into," of course, I mean I'm so gonna buy one..) and I used the configurator on MBUSA.com, and I really, really want (hence, NEED) wood trim in my SLK. I'm gonna order one from my dealer in Ft. Myers and before I go to the dealer I was wondering if any of you here know if there's any way to get the designo interior colors w/o the exterior.. because I really want the Espresso interior but I want a silver '55.

Also, on the 320 configurator you can choose wood trim as one of the options for only a couple grand, but that option isn't in the '55 configurator, just designo.

And if there's no way to get wood trim special ordered on a silver one.. how much would it cost me to get it painted over in metallic silver?

Thanks a lot.
For the extra cost just go totally Designo .... life is too short for compromise. I would rather own a unique car if it was only going to cost me a fraction over sticker.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:16 PM

I drive a E55T, SLK55 and 65 Mustang Conv.

- Anyway, they stopped producing the AMG? Does that mean they still make just the SLK55 or is the AMG the only 55 version MB makes? You (meaning whoever) can respond with whatever sarcasm you want, I just wanna know.
AMG and 55 is the same thing. You cannot buy a 55 that is not an AMG, period. If you go one step down you are talking about the SLK350. No sarcasm involved here, if you are telling the truth AND can find someone to sign the purchase contract for you well, more power to you.
Kim
Old 03-09-2005, 08:20 PM

Ok..interesting...I'll play along for a little bit...I assume this is really your parents business since unless you started making these sauces at the age of say..10..it would take some time for them to go regional...

In any case....save your money..invest in CD's, mutual funds, and wise stock transactions and you will be able to buy a Bentley in your early 20's in any shade, type of wood you desire if you play your cards right...
Close again, lol - I started messing around with the sauce stuff when I was 14 because my dad wanted to start bottling sauces (because he owns a restaurant). I took care of almost everything and got most of the money from it, now I'm 16 and the business is basically mine (lately he's been telling me just to keep the money cuz he's opened another restaurant and has a more steady income now). And it's kind of funny that you mention the Bentley, because that's my #1 car, the Continental GT. I wish I could afford that now.

But yeah, I've been investing in stocks and bonds lately for experimental purposes actually, and I'm thinking about gold so I can put away some of my money and have it keep up with inflation.

Thanks for "playing along," btw - it's alright, I probably wouldn't believe me either if I were you.

(edit: to the post by Lady Wolf, thanks for the info - I would just get the loan in my parents' name anyway though because I think a potential loaner would be just as skeptical as people are on here)

Last edited by r i d e r; 03-09-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:36 PM

'05 E55
Rider,

Do what you have to do. Don't worry about what anyone says. If what you've said is true, more power to you. Get the 55 at 16 and get the Bentley in your 20s.

My advice (and recognize, it's just my opinion) -- decide which choice is more important to you (the color or the wood) and choose that car. Do not paint the car! (A subsequent buyer might rightly believe that there were problems with the car that you haven't disclosed). When you get it, enjoy the car, understand that you've made compromises and plot for the next car, which I'm sure will be perfect.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by BklynMarc
Rider,

Do what you have to do. Don't worry about what anyone says. If what you've said is true, more power to you. Get the 55 at 16 and get the Bentley in your 20s.

My advice (and recognize, it's just my opinion) -- decide which choice is more important to you (the color or the wood) and choose that car. Do not paint the car! (A subsequent buyer might rightly believe that there were problems with the car that you haven't disclosed). When you get it, enjoy the car, understand that you've made compromises and plot for the next car, which I'm sure will be perfect.

Good luck.
I'm just not one not to defend myself, even on the internet.

But one last question: I read that thread about the SLK55 production being stopped, I thought that was just a rumor, though? I couldn't find anything saying the information was solid, although there was a statement or two where people said they got the info from a dealership - but that's from a car dealer. I left a message with the local MB dealership, so I'll probably be talking to them tomorrow about it, anyway.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:21 AM

I got an email from MBUSA and also spoke to a sales/marketing agent. According to their system, there is no stoppage in production. You can try placing your order and see if the dealer will accept it. Their computers are directly linked to Germany....so I was told.

BTW, at your age, I give you a lot of credit for standing up to comments from previous posts. Just don't take pictures of yourself in a trunk to prove you have an SLK55 though.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:22 AM

I drive a E55T, SLK55 and 65 Mustang Conv.
I left a message with the local MB dealership, so I'll probably be talking to them tomorrow about it, anyway.

Thanks.
You should have the person who'll actually buy the car do the calling, not you as most dealers will not talk to a kid. Just a heads up.
Kim
Old 03-10-2005, 12:31 PM

2019 CLS
Originally Posted by Lady Wolf
You should have the person who'll actually buy the car do the calling, not you as most dealers will not talk to a kid. Just a heads up.
Kim

I second this and you will want to have your parents co-sign if just not for the fact you will want them as the primary driver for insurance purposes...I don't care how many Rolex's you have...the insurance company will have a field day every month on your bank account if your put yourself as the primary driver at the age of 16 on a high-powered sports car.....

Besides the little ruffled you got in the beginning you did handle yourself well...and if not true...you at least get an A for uniqueness for the "gourmet sauces" talk... and No, you have no obligation to prove yourself but on the same token we have no obligation to read and not question what could have been very well rubbish and a "SLK 55 AMG" clone...

So..with that said...back to the first post....what was the whole need wood thing about ?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:52 PM

I second this and you will want to have your parents co-sign if just not for the fact you will want them as the primary driver for insurance purposes...I don't care how many Rolex's you have...the insurance company will have a field day every month on your bank account if your put yourself as the primary driver at the age of 16 on a high-powered sports car.....

Besides the little ruffled you got in the beginning you did handle yourself well...and if not true...you at least get an A for uniqueness for the "gourmet sauces" talk... and No, you have no obligation to prove yourself but on the same token we have no obligation to read and not question what could have been very well rubbish and a "SLK 55 AMG" clone...

So..with that said...back to the first post....what was the whole need wood thing about ?
Well, hey, thanks. Yeah, I know it sounds pretty weird, but it's not like producing gourmet sauces is my passion, haha , but the opportunity was there and I used it to my advantage. I just like the general business field and I love making money, so I just ran with it, you know?

I don't really know why exactly I need the wood, my parents always drove Beamers as I was growing up so I'm not really used to not having the wooden dashboard/door paneling/etc; I think that's probably why when I see a car without it it just looks kind of ugly to me. I like luxury car interiors better than those of sports cars, actually, but when I first started picking out the SL's and the SLK's down in Ft. Myers and Naples (we just moved here 4 or 5 months ago, there's a lot more nice cars here than in upstate NY, lol) they really caught me eye. I mean, after all, at my age I only just started caring about cars maybe a year or so ago. Then I started looking into them and I saw the new design for the 2005 SLK55, and that pretty much did me in. I'm basically (subconsciously?) trying to make it into a luxury car but still keep the performance and style of a sports car. Because I gotta admit, this is one of the most beautiful cars out there, and with the price tag it has it's hard to resist it.

Last edited by r i d e r; 03-10-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (silver/black)
Rider, go for it!

Find somebody at a dealership that will work with you and ask for exactly what you want. As long as it's not something that MB doesn't put in any cars of that model, you have a chance. I think they do have a "custom order option" but be prepared to pay a significant amount for each "custom" item.
Hope the sauce business is doing great!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:51 PM

1975 Ford Pinto
Anybody have any hot sauce in here???? :v

Just kidding... when you get the 55 drive it like you stole it :v :v
Old 03-12-2005, 12:19 AM

I have a bottle of ketchup...

Good luck with the dealerships, by the way. I had always dreamed of owning a 3-series BMW. When I was 18, I had a pretty good job. I had someone run a red light and total my Mazda, so I had to buy a new car. I realized that I could actually afford the BMW 323i that I wanted. So, I went to the dealership on a Saturday with the intention of driving the car home that day. Nobody would help me. I finally found the sales manager (The guy's name was Don King ). I started talking to him, and asked him about what incentives or programs they might have had a the time, and the guy just flat out tells me that "I can't afford it" and walks off.

Long story short, I went across the street and bought a Volvo. I made sure to bring it back. Two years later when I bought a BMW, I brought that back, too. I was told that I wasn't welcome after I stopped in with the second BMW. :p

Personally, I wouldn't even walk into an MB dealership and buy a car. When I bought the C32, I was told that "because of my age" they had to charge me a higher rate. I bought the car from a broker and saved $300 a month on the payment. If you are serious, my suggestion would be to get the loan from your bank then deal with fleet sales over the phone, or deal with a broker. If you go with a broker, be up front and tell him that your parents are going to co-sign, etc.

Another suggestion if I might: the 4-door AMGs are among the cheapest to insure cars around. A C55 is going to cost you about a 1/3 of what an SLK55 will because most companies don't classify it as a sports car, and there's pretty low loss rates.

Last edited by naadp; 03-12-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by naadp
I have a bottle of ketchup...

Good luck with the dealerships, by the way. I had always dreamed of owning a 3-series BMW. When I was 18, I had a pretty good job. I had someone run a red light and total my Mazda, so I had to buy a new car. I realized that I could actually afford the BMW 323i that I wanted. So, I went to the dealership on a Saturday with the intention of driving the car home that day. Nobody would help me. I finally found the sales manager (The guy's name was Don King ). I started talking to him, and asked him about what incentives or programs they might have had a the time, and the guy just flat out tells me that "I can't afford it" and walks off.

Long story short, I went across the street and bought a Volvo. I made sure to bring it back. Two years later when I bought a BMW, I brought that back, too. I was told that I wasn't welcome after I stopped in with the second BMW. :p

Personally, I wouldn't even walk into an MB dealership and buy a car. When I bought the C32, I was told that "because of my age" they had to charge me a higher rate. I bought the car from a broker and saved $300 a month on the payment. If you are serious, my suggestion would be to get the loan from your bank then deal with fleet sales over the phone, or deal with a broker. If you go with a broker, be up front and tell him that your parents are going to co-sign, etc.

Another suggestion if I might: the 4-door AMGs are among the cheapest to insure cars around. A C55 is going to cost you about a 1/3 of what an SLK55 will because most companies don't classify it as a sports car, and there's pretty low loss rates.
Wow, if that was me I would've gotten so pissed off.. I get such flak over my age whenever I wanna splurge on stuff like this. (I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm bragging, but this is a good example of what I'm talking about) - ever since I was a little kid (haha, not exactly that long ago) I always dreamed about having two things: a $200,000 car and a Rolex. I got my Rolex last year and it was the biggest rush I've ever felt.. it's like a big chunk of your childhood dream being realized, and - ohh **** - you're still a child. But anyway.. to buy this freaking watch, I went through 3 different jewelers. The first one was in NYC, when I was still living in New York; the saleswoman I spoke with, some older woman that reminded me of Cruella DeVille, just wouldn't take me seriously. In fact, when I asked for the price of a certain watch I liked, she wouldn't even take it out to check. All she said was, "That? This one is solid 18-karat gold, sorry. You might want to check downstairs where we carry our non-Swiss watches" or something like that.

I don't know what I'm gonna do about buying my first car. I think I'll just take my parents with me to the dealership with me and just put the loan in their name and I'll pay all the payments and insurance and all that good stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Designo Crisis!! :(