SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Thinking about getting a SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C6 (black convt.),2006 CLS 55 (black)
Thinking about getting a SLK55

Hi guys, Im thinking about purchasing a SLK55. I have 2 dilemas though. For the same price I'm not sure if a 2005 Corvette Convertible or a SLK 55 is the better choice. They are basically in the same price range. Second, does anybody know where there are any SLK55's available in either black or the dark gray? I would appreciate any opinions and help.

Thanks
Scott
Old 03-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 S2000 , 2005 911 & soon 2005 slk55 AMG
Originally Posted by TexAmg
Hi guys, Im thinking about purchasing a SLK55. I have 2 dilemas though. For the same price I'm not sure if a 2005 Corvette Convertible or a SLK 55 is the better choice. They are basically in the same price range. Second, does anybody know where there are any SLK55's available in either black or the dark gray? I would appreciate any opinions and help.

Thanks
Scott
Got luck finding a SLK55 its a tuff car to find. Most dealers have sold their yearly allocations. Check out a Corvette forum before buying one. People are having alot of problem with them. GM has had 2 recall and had stopped production for a week becauce of supplier problems. ( Bad parts )
The biggest problem has been crank pulleys flying off under hard driving doing alot of engine damage. The is a very cool and fast car!! GM needs to get their s%$T together.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:45 AM

ML 320 CDI
The SLK 55 is a much better piece of engineering than the Corvette which still use very old technical solutions. If the 1/4 miles result is everything for you then go for the corvette and if you want something more exclusive and more versatile then go for the SLK 55.

Like my friend says:
"US sport cars are designed for the drag, AMG are designed for the Nurburgring"
Everything is explained with that.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:13 AM

Interior comfort considerations

The interior of the vette feels much larger and more comfortable than the slk. If your relatively lean and can stand the harder seats on the slk, it is a much better build quality.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
I traded in my 2005 C6 Vette with less than 200 miles on it. Crank Pulley came loose along with other problems. It is
unbelievable that GM produced their flagship car with such a lack of refinement! I was VERY disappointed in the car. I had the Z51 package and a further problem with the Vets is
that the drilled rotors GM used with the Z51 are all left side on all 4 wheels which means they are venting 2 wheels the wrong way. GM said it's supposed to be that way and didn't have right side rotors to replace-Bull****!
GM sucks! Their stock is getting tanked too and they probably don't know why.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:44 PM

2005 SLK55
Originally Posted by AMG SLK55
I traded in my 2005 C6 Vette with less than 200 miles on it. Crank Pulley came loose along with other problems. It is
unbelievable that GM produced their flagship car with such a lack of refinement! I was VERY disappointed in the car. I had the Z51 package and a further problem with the Vets is
that the drilled rotors GM used with the Z51 are all left side on all 4 wheels which means they are venting 2 wheels the wrong way. GM said it's supposed to be that way and didn't have right side rotors to replace-Bull****!
GM sucks! Their stock is getting tanked too and they probably don't know why.
Couldn't believe you did the same thing. I bought my C6 the first week they arrived at Dallas. GM bought the car back in January after (failed) to fix a mystrerous battery drain (mine is an A4). Miss its look and respect other cars shown to Vettes. But I HATE GM. I had a Precision Red F55 which is much softer daily ride. Paying Corvette payments for four and half months, but keep driving some Malibus (loaners). Btw, my left front speaker never worked (hiss sound all the time) during my ownership. HK system in SLK55 is a dream.

Last edited by 05 SLK55AMG; 03-17-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 C6 (black convt.),2006 CLS 55 (black)
Thanks for the opinions. I have a C6 coupe and no problems yet (cross my fingers it sounds). The weather is getting nicer and I guess I'm itching for a convertible now. Hey 05 SLK55AMG, since you had a C6 also, how is the cabin room in comparison? How is the head room, etc??

Thanks
Scott
Old 03-18-2005, 07:40 PM

2005 SLK 55 AMG
I haven't owned a C6, but I test drove a couple while I was trying to decide what kind of car to get. The C6 is much larger inside; I'm about 6'3" and 205 lb, and I feel like I pretty much fill my SLK 55. The Corvette felt larger. The seats in the SLK 55 border on too narrow for me, while the Corvette seats were much wider and softer. The Corvette feels a bit quicker, probably because of the manual transmission, and it probably has too much power for city driving...it is the first car I've spun tires on inadvertantly on dry pavement in 20 years, most of it in high performance cars.

The Corvette lost me on interior quality; for $60K, I don't want the same chicklet radio buttons and the same plastic sliding doors on inside compartments I get in a Malibu rental. I thought that the keyless entry/pushbutton start was gimmikey, and the pushbutton door latches were more so. I really wasn't thrilled with the control layout, either.

I think the bottom line was that I wasn't a Corvette guy at heart. Don't know why, don't know if that is good or that is bad. But drive them both, preferably on the same day and as close to the same route as you can get (both Chevy and Mercedes (and Porche and BMW) have dealerships in the large autoplex down the street from me, an advantage. I took every car I was considering around essentially the same loop over a weekend to make my descision.

eric
Old 03-19-2005, 02:20 AM

2005 SLK55
Originally Posted by TexAmg
Thanks for the opinions. I have a C6 coupe and no problems yet (cross my fingers it sounds). The weather is getting nicer and I guess I'm itching for a convertible now. Hey 05 SLK55AMG, since you had a C6 also, how is the cabin room in comparison? How is the head room, etc??

Thanks
Scott
C6 is bigger. I am 6 feet tall and I have no problem with the head room in my SLK55. C6 also comes out from a stop a little quicker, probably because of its lighter weight and the performance gear ratio I got. Keyless is cool and useful. It locks itself after a set time. I never had to take the key out. SLK has much better stering feel. It also gives you much better confidence driving without the high fenders. Oh, you have to listen to the exhaust note of SLK55. Very sweet. I test drove SC430, M3, and SLK350 when I was trying to find a replacement for the vette. SLK is the best for me, but just have to get as close to the horse power of c6's 400. Debated between a C6 vert and SLK55 a little bit, but all that Power top problems in December made it a no contest.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:07 PM

2010 E550 & 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Exclamation

Originally Posted by AMG SLK55
I had the Z51 package and a further problem with the Vets is
GM sucks!
Unfortunately MB does the same thing to ALL their drilled rotors.
****ING COST CUTTERS.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
I have a C6 and a C55. I am thinking of adding an SLK55. I like the C6 quite a bit. The quality is higher than I expected. The interior is not as good as an SLK. The crank bolt problem affected 52 cars so far - .007 of the cars made - an unfortunate but not a widespread problem. An SLK55 and a C6 are really very different cars.

TEAShea