SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

So..who else has been shot at?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55
So..who else has been shot at?

Driving down the highway today, minding my own business and I hear a very loud bang. I assume explosive decompression of a tire (blow out) and pull over right away. I get out, sure enough left rear flat but i'm suprised it's still in one piece. I call Merc road assist to change it. They roll up, the guy is doing his thing a suddenly said "holy crap, what happend to your rim?" and shows me a 1 inch diamater hole on the inside of the rim. (looks like an exit hole) On the tire in a stright line there is a half inch hole. the merc guy says " this is a bullet hole"
I call 911. The cop shows up takes a long look at the hole takes a long look at my car from several angles and says "bullet hole"
He shows me the stright line hole goes through the rim and tire from just outside the lower outside edge of the tire about three inches directly below the little plastic piece on the fender flare to a point about chest high 40 to 60 feet directly behind the left rear fender. He said the shooter was in a car or pickup behind me and most likely took a quick shot from his driver side window. he estimated 9mm or 38 cal.
I ask if he thought the perp was shooting at me are the tire, he looked at me like i was smoking crack and said he would have to be the best shot in the world to hit the tire like that on purpose. he said you have pissed him off and he took a shot at you.
Freaky huh.
what really burns me up is now i have to buy a tire and rim, but at least my car was not hit.
I've got pics of my rim and tire I'll try to post in a day or two.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:25 PM

That would have been my first thought too - at least the car wasn't hit.

Where do you live? South Central LA?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:34 PM

2002 C32
Jeez, glad your ok!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:54 PM

SLK 55
Originally Posted by lisamcgu

Montgomery Alabama.

my wife is a little freaked out, but i figured it's a random act of violence. but at least they did'nt stop to take a few more shots.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, BMW 530, BMW M Roadster
Consider yourself lucky to lose only a wheel and tire. Just this morning here in Los Angeles a woman was shot in the head and killed in her car on one of our local freeways. It's crazy out there.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Krovvy
Driving down the highway today, minding my own business and I hear a very loud bang. I assume explosive decompression of a tire (blow out) and pull over right away. I get out, sure enough left rear flat but i'm suprised it's still in one piece. I call Merc road assist to change it. They roll up, the guy is doing his thing a suddenly said "holy crap, what happend to your rim?" and shows me a 1 inch diamater hole on the inside of the rim. (looks like an exit hole) On the tire in a stright line there is a half inch hole. the merc guy says " this is a bullet hole"
I call 911. The cop shows up takes a long look at the hole takes a long look at my car from several angles and says "bullet hole"
He shows me the stright line hole goes through the rim and tire from just outside the lower outside edge of the tire about three inches directly below the little plastic piece on the fender flare to a point about chest high 40 to 60 feet directly behind the left rear fender. He said the shooter was in a car or pickup behind me and most likely took a quick shot from his driver side window. he estimated 9mm or 38 cal.
I ask if he thought the perp was shooting at me are the tire, he looked at me like i was smoking crack and said he would have to be the best shot in the world to hit the tire like that on purpose. he said you have pissed him off and he took a shot at you.
Freaky huh.
what really burns me up is now i have to buy a tire and rim, but at least my car was not hit.

Wow, went clean through the AMG rim? Do you remember cutting anyone off?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by lisamcgu

........And most importantly you were not hit!

Last edited by AMG SLK55; 03-30-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:37 PM

2005 SL65
Krovvy...

first, glad you're uninjured.

second, really wish you'd have gotten some ID to give to very effective AG's office.

i know factually of the many good people working in AL law enforcement, from police to prosecutors. i thought sessions and especially pryor were fantastic AGs. while unfamiliar with the current AG, if anything like recent predecessors, then the office is very concerned and responsive. they'd have come down like a hammer on the perp.

again, really good that nothing happened to you.

david
Old 04-01-2005, 06:14 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
And I thought me getting an excessive speeding ticket yesterday sucked real bad! Glad you are OK! Your story reads like a clip from the "Bad Boy II" movie; at least to me here in Vancouver!

Originally Posted by Krovvy
Freaky huh.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:39 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
I'm gonna call BS on this.

I've seen this happen twice. It happens when you run over a piece of rebar(metal rod) and the tire kicks it up. It punctures the tire and puts what looks like a bullet hole in the rim.

The first one I saw we were puzzled about. The second time the piece of rebar punctured the tire and rim but stayed inside the tire itself.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:38 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Rebar or bullet hole, there is no question that road rage has only worsend. I live in a small town near other small towns where the quickly fading stereo type of "bad things only happen in LA" exists. I try and be aware at all times about the traffic around me, as to offer others consideration, and to be aware of the freakies that persistently ride tail as we exceed the limit by 10 already, or weave in and out with a violence that suggests they've gone mad at the world. So many people have just lost it! The attitude's are dangerous. Especially when you get a drunk, violent dude, driving a lifted super duty ford. BAD combination.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
wow, that sucks. I'm glad you didn't get hurt. damn *******s...

this happened to me earlier in the year:
https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic/94165-help-window-shot-out-shattered-freeway.html
Old 04-05-2005, 03:11 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Unbelievable. I remeber when kids got busted for throwing apples, or eggs, but almost taking someones life by randomly firing pellets at traffic.. Gees. Soceity educates unsupervised children with violence. Of course I've assumed that your case perhaps involved children. My point however, kids do worse stuff now than they did in general, I believe. Then they watch their parents behave like the children they are. Just a couple of weeks ago, I watched a lady make a ridiculous series of illegal unsafe manuevers in her suv to get around two vehicle doing 28 in a 25, she proceeded to speed to the local equatic center. As I went by a couple of moments later, she was removing her toddler from the back seat, likely hoping she wasnt too late to her baby's swim lesson. I know, we see this kinda stuff all the time...but how bad will it get?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:38 PM

SLK 55
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
I'm gonna call BS on this.

I've seen this happen twice. It happens when you run over a piece of rebar(metal rod) and the tire kicks it up. It punctures the tire and puts what looks like a bullet hole in the rim.

The first one I saw we were puzzled about. The second time the piece of rebar punctured the tire and rim but stayed inside the tire itself.

Thats what I thought TECH, and the cop and i walked back several hundred yards looking and found nothing, I'm very alert about whats on the road in front of me and at the time I was paying particular attention due to some small tire rimnants on the road, i didn't see anything, I hope you are right and the cop was wrong.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:44 PM

SLK 55
sidenote

sorry to highjack my own thread.

But you guy's would not believe how hard it is to get an OEM rim, my dealer is saying months, and $945 when it gets here. needless to say I'm changing (thank's Luke at Tirerack) If someone needs a rim I've got three, if anyone is in need we'll work out a fair price.