SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Picked up new SLK55 - WOW - but big problem already

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 'E550
Originally Posted by Rascal
If you go to the M-B build site, they do not include the SLK55. Are they updating it for the 06 models?
Good question, the SLk55 doesn't appear to be under models anymore......but you can still build an SLK55.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 AM

AMG
Exclamation Help

I have recently started having a very similar issue with my 2006 SLK55 AMG. I have about 50,000mi on it, and it started to throw the Speedtronic Malfunction "Visit Workshop" error. Initially the errors it displayed were: ABS, ESP and Brake Wear. The first few times this happened, it went away after I turned off the car and started it back up. Today it threw the code while I was driving on the freeway, and all of a sudden the Speedometer went to zero, even though I was still traveling at 70mph. I could still continue to drive and brake, but there was some sort of rev limiter in place. I also noticed a sudden loss of the power steering. I can't get the problem to disappear this time. The car is meticulously maintained. I hope they are able to resolve this issue, as it is out of warranty. As a note: my brake pads and wear sensor are still almost brand new. Any insight or updates on people who had similar issues, is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:15 PM

AMG
PROBLEM SOLVED

UPDATE: The problem ended up being a faulty ESP Control Module. After it was diagnosed and replaced by my great mechanic, everything is back to normal.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by chucknorris
UPDATE: The problem ended up being a faulty ESP Control Module. After it was diagnosed and replaced by my great mechanic, everything is back to normal.
Glad to hear you got the issue solved.

A faulty ESP Control Module is a simple fix, but it creates a few errors which make it seem like you have a lot of different problems all at once.

Time to enjoy your little beast again!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by Teufel
There is no other car I would love to have neither, even if I get a refund! Unless of course I say to hell with my money and buy the upcoming Porsche 911 Turbo or GT2!:v I don't think my wife would like that very much! Then again, I am only 32 and hopefully I have some years left on my contract with the all mighty!

I am glad that you dare to say that MB has some reliability problems. Because it is a taboo to say anything bad about MB on this Forum! People attack you from every side and make excuses to justify the major reliability issues MB has.

The loss of power steering in my car is very dangerous. I struggle to pull over and restart my car. After restarting my car everything is normal again! It happens very rarely.
Its like that on any car site. Talk bad about a Hyundai, Honda, BMW or Toyota in public and people freak out. The reality is that no matter you buy its going to break or need repairs. Thats life. Anyone who thinks cars dont break has never worked on a car before and has no idea how many parts make up one. I have been a Benz owner since day one and I had a couple issues here and there. Nothing unusal and nothing that couldnt happen on any other car.