SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

My 55 pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 E63
My 55 pics

Long story short - I took my deposit placed (12/26) at a local dealership (Dallas) and transferred it to a dealership (in NJ on 2/15) who could give me a build date. The car arrived at the Baltimore port on the 27th of March and the dealership did the unexpected and got the car to me on April 4th. I am very impressed they were able to get the car from the Baltimore port, through customs and VPC, prepped twice and on an enclosed truck from NJ to TX in 8 days. Bravo to Contemprary Motor Cars and Tim Pallay in Little Silver, NJ. The 1K I paid to have the car shipped to me was well worth every penny to have the car this fast.

My color was Iridium Silver with black interior. A common color combo but I have to say that the lighter colors really show of the AMG accents and the mscular proportions much better than the darker colors. I also got the Premium, lighting, navigation, and airscarf. Almost every option except hands free and sat radio.

My initial impressions:
1. Pictures do absolutely no justice for this car. Clean and sharp from every angle unlike my former Boxster.
2. Interior is immaculate and the microfiber cloth in the DVD like case works great.
3. As far as engine and handling, I really can not say much during the break in period. Although I did open her up a little past 5000 RPM and the acceleration is pretty scary. Exhaust sounds deep an rich.

Overall, MB and AMG created a spectacular car. Bad news for my neglected Boxster.

Here are a few quick pics. This is my first time to post pics so I apolgize in advance for the poor shots expecially the one with the sun glare and I hope the image size is not too high.

Cheers to all and I hope the best for you and all your endeavors.

Vincent

Old 04-06-2005, 10:03 PM

10 E63
Fyi

The new rims are 19 inch rims. 19 X 8.5 (front) an 9.5 (rear). Tires are Toyo Proxy TS-1 (235/30 for front and 265/30 fo rear). I feel a bit guilty because this car deserves expensive and nicer rims and tires. I had a friend hook me up with this set (w tires) for about $2000. I love the look so I will keep them for now as he told me I can trade up for the $5000 HRE's (gulp). Hubcentric spacers were required. I have ridden on these rims for about 50 miles at varying speeds. No vibration whatsoever. The ride is a bit stiffer than the factory rims but no notable difference as far as road noise. The car was not lowered either.

Lots of compliments on the first few days of ownership. The guys at the tire shop as well as the inspection station were drooling.

Best Regards,
Vincent
Old 04-07-2005, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
OMG....Those are some nice wheels....Congrats for the new ride...

Pls check your PM box please
Old 04-07-2005, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will you sell the AMG wheels?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:33 AM

SLK 230
Sure it beats the boxster..but the 911

Hi,

I have noticed you love the 55 over the boxster you had which I can fully understand. I wonder if your thoughts would have been the same if u had had a Porsche 911 Carerra 4S instead. But a great car none the less
Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 AM

2006 ML 500 and 2006 SLK 55 AMG
This is the exact car we just ordered. Our build date is first week of May. We went through Ewing Autohaus, since we live in Plano. Did you first start with Ewing Autohaus or Park Place? Do you know anything about the service at Ewing Autohaus?

We also just ordered the '06 ML 500. Both cars are expected to arrive here mid-July.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
congrats, nice ride... stock wheels look better IMO .
Old 04-07-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
Congrats, SLK55NEWB! The wheels look great! Just curious, what was the odometer reading when you picked the car up given that our cars came on the same ship? Mine was 45.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:36 AM

something fast
vince, i love the rims, who makes them? Are you going to have radar installed? Was the shipper someone tim supplied? $1k is cheap for enclosed i just got quoted $1400 for the same distance, nj to dallas enclosed.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:46 PM

10 E63
Thanks all

The wheels are staying. I got an overwhelming response from them today.

Sorry I am not selling the AMG wheels. My wife wants them on her SLk320.

Neil, The Carrera_4S was one of my options. When I test drove the 4S, I felt like I was still in my Boxster but with a bit more torque. The interior had very little differences. The SLK55 definitely has more torque than the 4S. After watching the ragtop on my Boxster fade and decay (especially the plastic window), I wanted a hardtop covertible. After seeing the SLK55, my family and friends unanimously agreed the SLK55 was the right choice over the 4S, Boxster S, and even the SL500. This car is scary fast and has the looks to support it.

Sparky,
I did go through Autohaus first. In fact it sounds like you got the build date I forfeited. I work near the intersection of Plano Rd. and Forest Lane if you want to see this car in person.

Sharky, my car had 14 miles on it when I recieved it.

AJF, after looking at the invoice, the shipping was $1200. Still cheaper than your deal. I have the shippers contact info if you are interested. send me an email to vincent@vothang.com.

150 miles ....and lovin it.

Cheers