SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Got my Plates!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1975 Ford Pinto
Got my Plates!!!!

After finally waiting almost 7 weeks....

Got my plates....
Attached Thumbnails Got my Plates!!!!-picture-001.jpg   Got my Plates!!!!-picture-002.jpg  
Old 06-08-2005, 10:32 PM

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Very cool!!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
very nice license plate. only i would not ruin the beautiful look of your slk55 w/ a front plate.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by jtc55
very nice license plate. only i would not ruin the beautiful look of your slk55 w/ a front plate.
I am not so sure, but in California we do need one on the front and one on the back...

If we don't, can someone tell me how to remove it and fill in the holes. Color too,,, mine is black. I did not put it there, the dealership I bought it from already had it on, South Bay Mercedes in Torrance. When I went to the Calabasas, Thousand Oaks, and South Bay, all the SLK 55 AMGs and 350s had a front license plate.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:04 AM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by cjmegha

Got my plates....
Are your windows tinted?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Originally Posted by cjmegha

Got my plates....
what so BAD about the the AMG?? :p
Old 06-09-2005, 10:50 AM

2008 Porsche 997 C4S Cabriolet
Front Plate

My 55 should be arriving in about two-three weeks and I made it clear from day one when I placed my order that I do not want my front bumper drilled for plates. Over the last few months since the order has been placed, each time I've stopped by the dealer to check on the order, I've reminded them again that I don't want my front bumper drilled. My sales person said not to worry and that it will come in clean and they won't drill it at the dealership either. He said that it's almost a standard policy at their dealership to never drill AMG cars until they have checked with the customer.

FWIW, here in Oregon, front plates are required as well but I'm going to risk it and see if I rack up any tickets. Since this will only be a secondary car and not a daily driver, I'll take the risk to keep the nose clean.

JS
Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by JoeShark
My 55 should be arriving in about two-three weeks and I made it clear from day one when I placed my order that I do not want my front bumper drilled for plates. Over the last few months since the order has been placed, each time I've stopped by the dealer to check on the order, I've reminded them again that I don't want my front bumper drilled. My sales person said not to worry and that it will come in clean and they won't drill it at the dealership either. He said that it's almost a standard policy at their dealership to never drill AMG cars until they have checked with the customer.

FWIW, here in Oregon, front plates are required as well but I'm going to risk it and see if I rack up any tickets. Since this will only be a secondary car and not a daily driver, I'll take the risk to keep the nose clean.

JS
when my friend ordered his cls500 he kept telling them the same thing and even told the sales guy that he wouldnt accept the car if it came with a front license plate.

sure enough it came with a front plate. he flipped and told the sales guy he wasnt taking the car. the dealer quickly took a front bumper off another cls and put it on his car.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:11 AM

2008 Porsche 997 C4S Cabriolet
BklynBenz

Thanks for the information.

Yeah, my dealer said that if it came in drilled, they'd have it "taken to the bodyshop and fixed", whatever that could mean (holes filled, sanded, and painted?).

I've seen the many threads going back and forth about where the front bumper actually gets drilled (at VPC, at the dealer, etc.). Hope mine comes in clean.

JS
Old 06-09-2005, 11:47 AM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Thumbs up Congrats...

but I must admit I'm surprised that was still available here in the land of the car.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E63, 2018 AMG GT Convertible
Front Plate

In California it is a "fix-it" ticket. You can almost tape them on to get the ticket removed and then take themoff. I've had police officers laugh at the "jerk" officer who gave out that kind of ticket. Same thing with windows tinted too dark.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:11 PM

SLK55
Laguna Nigel doesn't put it on as a matter of course (we've bought two there) but requires that you sign a disclosure that you are accepting the car with it off so that if you do get a fix it ticket you can't blame them.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:57 PM

1. How did you get such a good plate?! When I went online at the DMV site I noticed practically everything I could think of was taken. We are both in So Cal, in cities next to each other, so now I will know its you if I see you

2. I am STILL waiting for my plates having bought the car in December. First there was a mixup on them and the dealership had to re-apply for them or something, and now I am waiting for my personalized ones to arrive. You'll know its me when you see your identical silver car (except, instead of "smoked" windows, my tail lights are smoked ) with a license plate that says TKNANAP

3. All this time I've been waiting for some kind of official plate, I've been worried about getting a fix it ticket for not having a front plate, a circumstance made more obvious (perhaps just in my mind) by the fact that I have been using the dealership plate, the wheel mfgr plate, and now mostly a tuner shop plate, on just the back, while I wait. It was either perzbenz or chrisdpham or told me it is no big deal. If I get a front plate fix it ticket, all people do is put it on with those ties that people use for their luggage. You just need to feed those ties thru the grillwork and presto, instant permanent license plate holder without holes.

4. Bought my car from Fletcher Jones, Newport Beach - no holes drilled. Don't remember having to sign anything and didn't even ask, but I think having holes drilled in my bumper when all I have to do is use luggage ties on grill until I get signed off on the fix-it ticket would suck big time.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:35 PM

SLK 230
No front plate?

Blimey I didn't realise you could drive without one. Here in the UK i have never seen a car with out one and I am sure it is law. After all it is necessary in case you are caught in a speed camera so they can take your registration plate. How would those work in the US?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:00 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by NeilC123
Blimey I didn't realise you could drive without one. Here in the UK i have never seen a car with out one and I am sure it is law. After all it is necessary in case you are caught in a speed camera so they can take your registration plate. How would those work in the US?
That's partially the point (for some ), but also you can get license plate coverings that appear clear, but block the flash used on pic ticket cameras.

Also, another reason is Laser Radar. They almost always aim back down the road (i.e. at your front), having a standard (i.e. highly reflective) license plate on the front DOUBLES the distance from which the Laser Radar can pick you up.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by bloflin
That's partially the point (for some ), but also you can get license plate coverings that appear clear, but block the flash used on pic ticket cameras.

Also, another reason is Laser Radar. They almost always aim back down the road (i.e. at your front), having a standard (i.e. highly reflective) license plate on the front DOUBLES the distance from which the Laser Radar can pick you up.
Good info

Would you happen to know where I may lay my hands on one of those clear license plate coverings? Just to keep the dirt off the front plate in case I'm forced to use one, of course!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by NeilC123
I don't remember any flash traffic cameras in No. Ireland when I was there last, but in Germany, just at the end of last year, well, Blimey! There were cameras hidden in trashcans, in the back of cars that looked like someone had just pulled over for a minute, and on the autobahn they moved them around so much that you had to mind the crazy speed limit changes or risk being flashed at any time.

Maybe in the UK proper it is kind of inbetween, not as lax as No. Ireland, but not as ridiculous as Germany? Here, in the area of So Cal where I am, there are only a couple of intersections that have the "new" ticket cameras on them, like out of hundreds, if not thousands of intersections. Not worth beefing up the local police force to handle ticketing those w/out a front plate, or even sending out a red memo on the subject

Also, it is mostly for those running red lights, not really speeding, and that doesn't happen very often. Also, I have noticed they are at intersections where there have been alot of accidents. So, they may exist for evidence reasons, as well. Whether you have a front license plate or not, if your car is smashed up in the middle of the intersection, I think they would be able to identify you.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by SLK 55 AMG
I am not so sure, but in California we do need one on the front and one on the back...

If we don't, can someone tell me how to remove it and fill in the holes. Color too,,, mine is black. I did not put it there, the dealership I bought it from already had it on, South Bay Mercedes in Torrance. When I went to the Calabasas, Thousand Oaks, and South Bay, all the SLK 55 AMGs and 350s had a front license plate.
here in illinois you have to have a front license plate but i personally don't give a rat's ***. i will never have a front plate on any of my cars!! i rather pay the fine than ruin the look of my cars. one time when i bought a ml320 it had the front plate on it. i told the salesperson i will only buy it w/o the plate. he said he will take off plate and have holes filled and paint the bumper to new. but what happens when i go to p/u my car, front plate still there. i immediately told my salesperson to take off the plate and fix that bumper. needless to say, the service manager was not very happy w/ my salesperson. oh well.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:15 PM

1975 Ford Pinto
Some AMG plates still available for CA DMV

Cool AMG
Kool AMG
FST AMG
2BAD AMG
2HOT AMG
FST QTR
AMG 2 ME
BEST AMG
AMG LANE
AMG LIFE
AMG STYL
FST RCKT
1BD RCKT

Hope this helps some of you

I would have preferred not to put on the front plate on, the bracket was already drilled into the bumper when I found the SLK

Last edited by cjmegha; 06-14-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Almost a Member!

'06 SLK55
I've seen one here in Austin that said "Oh Lowd"

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the car.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:48 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG
cjmegha, how are you checking plate availability? I scanned the CA DMV website, but didn't find a personalized plate checker (they wanted me to submit three at a time for approval).
Old 06-15-2005, 08:45 PM

1975 Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by Florp
cjmegha, how are you checking plate availability? I scanned the CA DMV website, but didn't find a personalized plate checker (they wanted me to submit three at a time for approval).

Goto https://vrir.dmv.ca.gov/ipp/PerLicensePlateServlet

Pick the plate you want then it takes you to the plate availabilty site.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:02 AM

'06 SLK55 AMG
Cool, thanks for the link!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:28 AM

I drive a E55T, SLK55 and 65 Mustang Conv.
We are waiting on our personalized plates for both cars as well. I ordered them both at the same time even though we didn't actually even have the E yet. Wanted to make sure I got them both as they go together.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:58 AM

I like FST QTR, but its too late as I've already got mine and mine is seven letters so I couldn't get one of those CA palm tree plates which you can with FST QTR. That would have been the best. Can't believe all these aren't taken ... very good research