Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55
Originally Posted by P18TRG
What does this upgrade consistent of?

Can it be upgraded at the dealership?

And most of all does it sound GOOD?

Cheers
Tim
Upgraded amps and speakers including 2 functioning rear centers.
Not practical to upgrade at dealer.
Sounds better than the standard stereo which IMO is woeful, but still lacks a rear subwoofer which is nice to have when spending 70k on a car.
I regret not getting in my car, however.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:42 PM

I have the HK stereo. It sucks.

After having the dealer try to fix it over and over, I now keep it in Standard mode because the dealer never told me, or maybe just didn't know, that the HK mode Logic 7 was originally made to interface with DVDs and such that had information the stereo could read. I found this out from one of the smart young guys here at mbworld at a meet. He switched my stereo to Standard and played around with the controls until my stereo sounded SO MUCH better that I knew he was right. That stupid stereo is meant to be hooked up to a tv not an fm stereo system in a car.

I still don't know if it will work with satellite better, the reason I have put off getting satellite. Does anyone know if this stupid stereo interfaces with satellite better than an FM signal stereo?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by lisamcgu
I have the HK stereo. It sucks.

After having the dealer try to fix it over and over, I now keep it in Standard mode because the dealer never told me, or maybe just didn't know, that the HK mode Logic 7 was originally made to interface with DVDs and such that had information the stereo could read. I found this out from one of the smart young guys here at mbworld at a meet. He switched my stereo to Standard and played around with the controls until my stereo sounded SO MUCH better that I knew he was right. That stupid stereo is meant to be hooked up to a tv not an fm stereo system in a car.

I still don't know if it will work with satellite better, the reason I have put off getting satellite. Does anyone know if this stupid stereo interfaces with satellite better than an FM signal stereo?
Lisa, if it sounds better to you that way, that's what counts. But the info the smart guy gave you is not correct.

For the kind of music I listen to (both from radio and CD) I think it is an excellent auto sound system. I not a music major with perfect pitch ear, but I do know sound (I have 2 different full blown component surround systems in my house (party room and TV room). It doesn't quite have the spatial definition the Mark Levinson does, in my Lexus, but it is quite good.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:23 PM

The info he gave me is correct.

The HK Logic 7 was not set up for car stereos, but home systems - this is a fact.

Also, its not just different pitch, its total horrible distortion that defines the logic 7 mode. In the stereo's standard mode, all is much better, not just in my opinion, but in the opinion of everyone who has listened to my stereo.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:16 PM

SLK 230
Ummm...

You'd think for such an expensive car they would have brought out a better stereo system?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:33 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
The info he gave me is correct.

The HK Logic 7 was not set up for car stereos, but home systems - this is a fact.

Also, its not just different pitch, its total horrible distortion that defines the logic 7 mode. In the stereo's standard mode, all is much better, not just in my opinion, but in the opinion of everyone who has listened to my stereo.
Lisa, not trying to argue with you. Sound is as personal opinion as food is (i.e. some people love raw oysters others not so much).

But you should have your smart guy do some research on Logic7, basically what he is telling you is NOT "a fact".

In particular for DVDs they all come with either Dolby Digital or at least Dolby Pro Logic surround. Didn't need to invent Logic7 for that.

It is true that HK's Logic7 handles all of that, but in addition to decoding the industry standard surround sound tracks, it adds the ability to take regular 2 channel sounds (i.e. music and singing) and create virtual surround sound.

It is also true the Logic7 started in their high end home audio systems. But still to also enhance 2 channel stereo.

Basically the technology behind Logic7 is a DSP (digital signal processor, think of it as a specialized computer just for sound manipulation and fast) and the software algorithms.

The Logic7 that HK implemented SPECIFICALLY for automobile usage is to enhance stereo signals into a multi speaker surround "sound stage". In particular, for the one in our cars, they have designed the software algorithms specifically to the speakers and placement and volume of the SLK350. This is done for other cars also. Finally it also trys to compensate for top up versus top down and ambient noise.

I am not an HK zealot (this is my first), and the other high end brand automobile configurations do the same thing (i.e. Bose, ML, etc.).

But those are the "facts".

However, if what they designed, does not work for you, that is a valid opinion. I don't have an issue with that.

For me, I think the sound is terrific in Logic7 mode, and occasionally I hear things that suprise me (in a good way, like wow don't remember hearing that guitar lick "over there") that I will go back and play the passage in Stereo mode to see the difference. FOR ME, playing in Stereo mode just sounds so flat, it's like going from listening to a boombox to using a great pair of headphones from a great audio system. In my opinion.

Take care.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:55 PM

You'd think. But it seems the whole system is outdated and not up to technological snuff.

When I first brought the car in because of crackling and distortion, the dealer "fixed" it by lowering the peak volume.

The next time they responded to my complaints of distortion, crackling and the stereo nav completely going out and then popping back on a while later by replacing the audio gateway with an upgrade.

The next time after that, they responded to my complaints of distortion and really loud crackling (like a shotgun being firing at me) and the stereo nav STILL completely going out and then popping back on a while later by replacing the audio gateway with an even newer upgrade.

This newest upgrade was to fix the problem of the audio gateway getting hot, like a computer gets hot, except when was the last time you heard of a laptop just quitting completely and shutting down because it was hot??? Was the solution to use a Pentium or something that runs cooler? No, no. They went back about a decade and created an "updated" audio gateway that employs a FLYWHEEL.

Obviously, they made some kind of deal with HK and could care less about the results.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by bloflin
For me, I think the sound is terrific in Logic7 mode, and occasionally I hear things that suprise me (in a good way, like wow don't remember hearing that guitar lick "over there") that I will go back and play the passage in Stereo mode to see the difference. FOR ME, playing in Stereo mode just sounds so flat, it's like going from listening to a boombox to using a great pair of headphones from a great audio system. In my opinion.
What kind of car do you have? Is it convertible? Do you have NAV? Do you have a new engine design? I would love to know the difference, cause this is my dream to talk about the stereo like this. Maybe they got it right for your car, just not the SLK55. Also, everything you said was explained to me with the caveat that try as they might, HK's Logic 7 surround system still only really works for DVDs. Honestly, HK doesn't even have their algorithums (?) right for CDs, as these even sound better with Standard.

And, I wish it was just my opinion, but not wanting to be a complainer, I asked about a billion people before I went into the dealer to fix or replace the piece of sh*t. The only reason its still in there is because one of the mbworld guys explained the problem with HK and switched it to Standard so I could know what he was saying was true. There was a distinct improvement.

And when my car gets worked on with the dealer, twice since, I'll be driving along with the stereo sounding like AM, only worse, and think I should just get a new stereo after all ... then, a light bulb will go on over my head and I'll check the settings and, sure enough, twice now, the dealer switched the d*mn thing back to Logic Surround. I put it on Standard, play with the Treble and Bass, and all is well with the world again

I don't know where you are, but if you are in CA, you really gotta come out to the next meet and hear the difference.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:41 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Lisa, you're funny. And I can appreciate your frustration (I grew up in Lousiana, but still can't stomach raw oysters )

I'm in Texas (Austin actually), and it's a SLK55. See my sig/pic on the left. And yes I have NAV.

I promise, I am not trying to tell you your opinion is wrong.

However, I am telling you your mbworld smart guy source is wrong on his "facts" about Logic7. I could post a bunch of links, which would bore you for hours...

BTW, Logic7 is in a number of high end cars, including BMW and other Benz models.

Not that it matters in your situation, but search on the web, you will see people singing its praises (but again it's personal opinion), including "sound people". But of course you will find others that don't like it.

Sorry I wasn't clear on the point, as you are still not understanding what I'm saying about surround sound and DVDs.

The NEW function Logic7 has is to take STANDARD STEREO MUSIC and make it a virtual surround stage.

The world did NOT need LOGIC7 for DVDs, they use the standard 5.1 encoding Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic.

But LOGIC7 is NOT the only technology to do this, this is just the brand name (from Lexicon who actually invented it) uses. Other audio companies have different patented and copywrited technology, with different names.

And if you're ever in Austin, l would love to let you listen to mine (and then perhaps you can convince me I'm halluncinating!).
Old 07-19-2005, 07:16 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG
Lisa, if you're hearing crackling and distortion, there's gotta be something broken with your stereo system. Your dealer may not want to admit it, or maybe just can't figure it out, but no system, HK or other, should be doing that unless you're simply blasting the volume beyond the speakers' capability.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
I've read all the comments about the Logic 7 system over the past months, and heard many other high end systems in other cars, but I have it in my '55 and I have to say I no complaints at all. It's certainly not the best factory installed automotive sound system I've ever heard, but I think we have to appreciate that it's installed in a very small car, and therefore the engineers had limited options as to where to place the speakers. After reading all the posts above, I went out in my car in the past few minutes and tried Standard versus Logic 7 on FM, CD, and Sirius. To my untrained ear, there's no question that Logic 7 provides superior sound irrespective of the signal source, at least in my car. I like to "crank the tunes", especially on the highway with the top down, and I like the fact that I can do so with relatively little distortion. BTW, I do have NAV and Sirius, but can't see why that would make a difference. One last thing, I've heard the standard SLK sound system and the HK system back to back, and my untrained ear tells me the HK system is clearly superior, no question. Is it worth the extra money? That's a matter of individual opinion, but I'm very happy I ordered it on my car.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:42 AM

Gosh you guys, this sucks. How come my stereo sounds so crummy. Are you guys able to adjust the treble and bass when its in Logic 7 Surround mode?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:48 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, BMW 530, BMW M Roadster
Question

Gosh you guys, this sucks. How come my stereo sounds so crummy. Are you guys able to adjust the treble and bass when its in Logic 7 Surround mode?
I've got to say that the LOGIC 7 system in my 55 sounds fantastic. I can only compare it to a top of the line sound system in my BMW 530, and it's a lot better to my ear. And, yes, I can adjust the treble, bass, and balance when it's in LOGIC 7 mode, and if you can't, there must be something definitely wrong with your sound system.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:38 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Florp
Lisa, if you're hearing crackling and distortion, there's gotta be something broken with your stereo system. Your dealer may not want to admit it, or maybe just can't figure it out, but no system, HK or other, should be doing that unless you're simply blasting the volume beyond the speakers' capability.
I'm thinking the same thing. I've listened to CD's, mp3's, radio and DVD's, and I've never heard crackling sounds or "shotgun" sounds coming from my stereo, and I keep it on Logic7 rather then standard mode.

Works perfectly fine over here and sounds very nice and clear, even if the rear speakers could do with a bit more oomph. But a very minor point IMO.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:41 AM

'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
Lisa, no problem adjusting the bass and treble on mine either when in Logic 7 mode. I agree with Shinigami, the rear speakers could use some more volume. What would be even better would be a front/rear fader adjustment, so everyone could adjust the front/rear balance they way they prefer it.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 AM

SLK55
Maybe the Amistad guys fried it at a car show.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 PM

Okay, when I try and adjust the treble and bass on mine its available for me to do this, but nothing happens, no sound change. I guess that was my first clue ... , but I just thought when in Surround it was so automatic that it didn't allow you to change the T and B. Of course, then why would it make it available to change it ...

Honestly, the stereo in my HONDA Element sounds WAY superior to the piece of **** in my MERCEDES. I knew that wasn't right, but the dealer kept acting like everything was okay and normal with that piece of sh*t

Will you guys please confirm that the sound actually changes when you adjust the control while in Logic 7 Surround. I'm sure it does, but I want to be clear when I attack ... I mean, call ... my dealer.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:13 PM

Okay, when I try and adjust the treble and bass on mine its available for me to do this, but nothing happens, no sound change. I guess that was my first clue ... , but I just thought when in Surround it was so automatic that it didn't allow you to change the T and B. Of course, then why would it make it available to change it ...

Honestly, the stereo in my HONDA Element sounds WAY superior to the piece of **** in my MERCEDES. I knew that wasn't right, but the dealer kept acting like everything was okay and normal with that piece of sh*t

Will you guys please confirm that the sound actually changes when you adjust the control while in Logic 7 Surround. I'm sure it does, but I want to be clear when I attack ... I mean, call ... my dealer.
Lisa, there's clearly something wrong with your audio system. Even in Standard mode, it's a very good sounding system. The B and T controls work the same way no matter what mode you are in, just as you would expect they would. I can't beleive the dealer would try to tell you something different, jeez. Sounds like a problem that should not be difficult for them to diagnose. Please tell us which dealer is giving you this misinformation so we can be forewarned, and please let us know what happens with the repair.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:23 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG

Lisa, I worried about you all the way home and coming in this morning

I experimented a lot on the drives (last night top down, this morning top up). I switched back and forth between Stereo and Logic7 (and threw in Speech once or twice just to see). I'm talking about switching every 10 seconds or so. I also tried different music. Though right now I'm loaded up on rock (everything from my teenagers Velvet Revolver and Godsmack to the sound track from Lords of Dogtown with some good rock "oldies"). But I did go thru some hard driving rock and then some basically singing ballads.

There is just no compare.

I also tried driving the Treble and Bass to max in both (I normally keep them right at default), to see if that "messed" things up. It didn't.

I did find that on some music the change/effects was less pronounced than on others. But it was NEVER worse, and for 75% of the cases sounded MUCH better.

I tried it with volume low, volume normal, and then really rock'n!

The best verbal picture I can paint for you is this:

Imagine there is a room with either a live band or a really good surround audio set up.

Then imagine you are standing just 2 feet outside an open doorway to this room (regular size door) and listening. This is STEREO mode. Music sounds good, but the "sound stage" seems small and directly in front of you.

Then imagine you step thru the door a couple of feet into the room. The "sound stage" widens and seems to surround you. This is Logic7.

Again, do not listen to either MB dealer or other "smart guys". You may or may not care for the virtual sound processing Logic7 does vs Stereo, but there is NO WAY you should feel it is unimaginably worse and unlistenable.

Suggestion: take a store bought CD (too many quality varibles if you use ripped MP3 or Itunes). Listen to it (or some of it) in your home system and get familiar with it. Your home system does NOT have to be a surround system, just a good audio system. The put it in your car, listen to the same passages again in STEREO. Then start switching between STEREO and LOGIC7. If LOGIC7 is as bad as you say on this CD. Then get to your Dealer/Service person and go thru it.

If he tries and tells you LOGIC7 in your car is only for DVDs, then tell him he's FOS. And then come back here and I'll send you the pointers for the whitepapers and press releases, etc. from the web.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up

First of all, thanks for the mention of the Lords of Dogtown CD - must be killer!

Second, now that I have something concrete that proves the stereo is not working right, in at least one way, they have to acknowledge that the stereo is BROKEN.

Third, much thanks for the description on what surround sound should sound like. I actually had it where I lived a few years ago for the tv and den, so if the HK is capable of sounding like that, mine is WAY OFF.

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you updated. The car is the best, but since like days after I bought it, I have been bringing it back to the dealer over and over because of this d*mn stereo, the reason I was so willing to believe it was meant to sound crummy.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:08 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Lisa, I think I've found it!!!! (thx to ianx new forum mod over on B*world forum)

Interference Noise From Speakers

Here is the address typed out in case that doesn't work:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...0_P-82-62-387/

Read it, you will see sounds just like your symptoms ("Poor sound while in Logic7 mode in all audio sources").

You have an early build car right.

Also, have them check this TSB also, talks about updates to the COMAND audio software they should install.

Audio System - Inoperative and/or No Right Channel and/or Memory Inoperative.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:16 PM

THANKS!!!

I'm looking at all this stuff right now, but I just wanted to say THANKS!!! first
Old 07-21-2005, 05:44 AM

SLK 55 AMG
W00t!!!

Let's hope you get the system fixed right up so that it sounds as good for you as it does for the rest of us =)

Btw: when DID you get your car? Mine was built in October of last year, so you'd think it would belong to the bunch of 'early' builds... yet I don't have any of these problems