SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Finally got my reflectors painted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got my reflectors painted

I'll post some pics of what they look like from a distance later. But for now, enjoy the close up pic.

I've posted this information before, but just remember that the reflectors are screwed on from the inside. People have also suggested swapping out the reflector area with a Euro-Strip, but it doesn't exist for this model because the strip is actually part of the bumper. So, painting or smoking the reflectors were my only options.

Last edited by JBRhee; 07-27-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Looks great!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
Nice Job!

At first I was thinking to myself "why didn't he just get the euro rubstrips" but like you said, it's cut out of the dang bumper. That stinks! But I think you have the best solution possible.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:30 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by JBRhee
I'll post some pics of what they look like from a distance later. But for now, enjoy the close up pic.

I've posted this information before, but just remember that the reflectors are screwed on from the inside. People have also suggested swapping out the reflector area with a Euro-Strip, but it doesn't exist for this model because the strip is actually part of the bumper. So, painting or smoking the reflectors were my only options.
Err, you do know that is illegal (not having unobstructed & functional turn signals)? I believe painting them may have just destroyed your car's ability to pass the biannual inspection here in Cali (after your car ages 5 yrs). The inspection is a ways off (2011), but the local constables can ticket you for this infraction if they spot it. You might want to look into this?

Good luck,
-Matt
Old 07-28-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Err, you do know that is illegal (not having unobstructed & functional turn signals)? I believe painting them may have just destroyed your car's ability to pass the biannual inspection here in Cali (after your car ages 5 yrs). The inspection is a ways off (2011), but the local constables can ticket you for this infraction if they spot it. You might want to look into this?

Good luck,
-Matt
Great! However, it's actually a reflector and not a turn signal. It never blinks, but simply glows when the headlights are on. Having xenon lights and turn signals in the front and in the side mirrors provide ample lighting for driving at night. Or, at least I hope they do.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:32 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Great! However, it's actually a reflector and not a turn signal. It never blinks, but simply glows when the headlights are on. Having xenon lights and turn signals in the front and in the side mirrors provide ample lighting for driving at night. Or, at least I hope they do.
Yes, you are correct (not a turn signal, rather, a reflector). However, the same law applies (no obstruction of any reflectors is allowed either). I dunno, I hope you don't get pulled. Just a courtesy heads up to think about .

See ya,
-Matt
Old 07-28-2005, 08:39 PM

Bah
Old 11-17-2005, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
JBRhee,

Your reflectors looks great painted, the side markers serves no purpose except being an eye sore. Do you know how to remove it, how many screws on the front bumper, I'm assuming you don't have to remove the whole bumper?

I'm getting my antenna painted so I figured I'll take out the reflectors and paint them also. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what cop will know about the reflector anyway? nice idea, it looks great. the turn signal is in the mirror...
Old 11-17-2005, 04:39 PM

It looks really good.....and no one will ever notice.
Some cars don't have reflectors or have them integrated
in the headlights. So from one car to the next, no one
can tell.

You're fine and it looks fine.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 PM

Looks alot better.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ynot
JBRhee,

Your reflectors looks great painted, the side markers serves no purpose except being an eye sore. Do you know how to remove it, how many screws on the front bumper, I'm assuming you don't have to remove the whole bumper?

I'm getting my antenna painted so I figured I'll take out the reflectors and paint them also. Thanks.
Thanks!

You don't have to remove the entire bumper to get to the reflectors, but the reflectors are screwed on from within the bumper. If you look carefully, you'll see some screws on the fender behind the bumper. Just unscrew them and pull the fender out, stick your hand in, unscrew the reflector, and remove.
Easy as that. Gl, and let me know if you have any problems.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:35 AM

AMG
looks much better than the yellow reflectors
Old 11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Thanks!

You don't have to remove the entire bumper to get to the reflectors, but the reflectors are screwed on from within the bumper. If you look carefully, you'll see some screws on the fender behind the bumper. Just unscrew them and pull the fender out, stick your hand in, unscrew the reflector, and remove.
Easy as that. Gl, and let me know if you have any problems.
Thanks, will try it this weekend.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Since euro strips are not available for your car..this is an excellent alternative than keeping the yellowish markers. I wouldn't sweat it out worrying about getting busted.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:27 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Yes, you are correct (not a turn signal, rather, a reflector). However, the same law applies (no obstruction of any reflectors is allowed either). I dunno, I hope you don't get pulled. Just a courtesy heads up to think about .

See ya,
-Matt
I doubt the cops would pay attention to a petty violation of the law. They've got bigger fish to catch.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Got mine painted and installed, looks much cleaner.