SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK 55 reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SLK55 AMG palladium silver w/Bengal red leather
SLK 55 (un)reliability?

Well, mine is ordered, so naturally I'm reading with great interest the posts here re: reliability, or lack thereof. There are Rascal's problems (TWO cars returned to MB), Teufel's woes and all the rest. Others, like lisamcgu, write that most owners are happy, not to worry, etc.

Given the following 2 truths:
1. There are problems with every make and model and owners with problems are disproportionately vocal about them.
2. There does seem to be an alarming number of serious problems popping up with the SLK 55...

My question is this: Are there MORE problems than usual (than should be expected, than normally occur, etc., etc.) with the SLK 55? Does anyone know if reliable info is available to QUANTIFY the problems: percentage of cars affected, number of TSBs (technical service bulletins), etc.? I.e. is the SLK 55 an unusually problem-ridden car or merely "normally" problem-ridden?

I'm more interested in FACTS and FIGURES (if such exist and are available) than in current or future owners' FEELINGS. Your thoughts?

Last edited by Frenchie; 09-04-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:33 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG
I have no facts and figures, but from purely anecdotal evidence, it appears that buying a 55 at least buys you a higher level of reliability than the 350. Which I would expect with the AMG construction methods.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:13 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I believe the 55 has less problems than the 350 primarily because of the engine, which obviously is the biggest difference between the two vehicles. I had a 350 that had a quickly-repairable transmission problem. It later consumed too much oil and MBUSA bought it back. I now have 2 more months before my new 55 is delivered. Will it too be susceptible to door rattles, transmission hickups, etc? Sure it is. Fingers crossed! Even with all these possibilities, I still want one.

The only real concern I have now is the introduction of the SLK63 with power ranging from 400-510hp. I would rather see a 400hp SLK63 just so I dont regret getting the 55. After a few years, I might get a Kleeman or other upgrade to go to the 450-500hp range.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, BMW 530, BMW M Roadster
I have had my SLK55 since February and have 8000 miles on it and have had only one problem, a loose electrical connection for the power seat, which was quickly fixed. No rattles or squeaks or any other problems. You tend to hear more about problems on a forum like this than there is in reality with most of the vehicles. I wish you luck with yours.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:33 AM

AMG
I just wonder why mine doesn't have any problems ???? I really treat the car so bad! ... and as for the engine....

I just love AMG engines....

I got 2 problems , Fuel comsumption and addiction to the sound of the car!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500
There is no doubt that I have had particularly bad luck with this car. But, I already have some remorse in giving in and getting a BMW. I miss the 55. I had just zymoled it and it looked great.

...but twice on a flatbed tow truck.

Get your 55 and have fun, don't worry about other's problems. A forum like this (and I'm guilty) does amplify problems rather than attributes. The car is fantastic.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:26 PM

AMG
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 09-04-2005, 02:48 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Can you possibly post links to ALL the people who have had problems with the 55?

I don't think you understand the concept between automotive forums, and why so many of them have posts dedicated to complaining about a 'car'.

The truth is, most people don't say anything about the car until there's a problem, and the 55 so far (according to the posts on most forums) has been more reliable then a non AMG SLK.

Granted, you'll find someone with a problem, but you're not looking farther then your nose. My engine and tranny on my 55 are still perfectly fine!

In fact, if you really ask the question, you'll find most 55 owners will say the same thing, and MOST of the problems associated with the car are not 'dangerous' as such. The 350, having a new engine, seems to be burning oil on some cars that were built, but does this mean that the driver is in danger? No, it's an inconvenience, and most have had their engine swapped.

Seriously, I don't see where the "alarming number of serious problems" are, because I don't see any myself.

I suggest you hang out around several MB forums a bit longer, and read more then write. It may sound mean of me to say this, but people love to complain, and you have not yet grasped the idea that when someone has a problem with their car, they WILL voice their discontent, and unfortunately, this is what most people will hear about.

mbnz.org for example has quite a few people with a 55, some even upgraded from a problematic 350, and they all seem to be perfectly happy with the car.

So, take a breather and explore what has been said, and you'll see that it is nowhere near as bad as you think it is. Just chill man. If you don't have the car yet, then buy another one if you have no faith. However, if you keep your cool, you just might end up being one of numerous owners who have ZERO problems.

I just met a friend today who's had his 350 for almost a year, and... yup, no problems. Zero. Nada.

He said it's been more reliable then his old 230 was (the old model SLK).

Whilst exceptions do happen, I like to think MOST owners never have a 'serious' problem with their car (of course, it depends what one means by serious, but I digress).

I hope I didn't offend you, so please no hard feeling But I seem to think a lot of people who are new to forums, come along, find only the negative stuff being said (because it's pretty much the only stuff being said about the car, it's boring to talk all day long "how great my car has been"), and then they make this opinion that "dang, this car ONLY seems to have problems"!!!

But every time someone makes a post about it, you also find counter posts from all those people who have zero problems.

I've owned my 55 since November of last year, and it's still running strong. I've put on almost 20 thousand kilometers, and not one single time has my tranny locked up. My car has started perfectly every single time. The roof does not squeak. The doors do not rattle. The car does not burn oil. And the list goes on.

If you think something will go wrong, it will. I know my car will work just fine, and it has. Have a little faith and hey, who knows, you might be an owner who will have a car that lasts 10 years without a hitch

Well, good luck mate. I hope you make the right decision (for you), and remember that we on the forum, are here to help you, to give you advice, etc... Yes, some people have problems, but with the collective experience of all of us, we can help you solve any hiccups as quickly as possible

(Sorry for typing so much... I got a bit carried away).
Old 09-04-2005, 06:12 PM

SLK 230
Problems....

I think the reality is you never know if a car is going to be problematic. I have had my old SLK now for over 18months and only one problem (fingers crossed). But in the end of the day like any machinery sometimes problems occur. After all how many of you are on the computer and it suddenly crashes or the blue error screen comes up. Just a fact of life. If you want to buy a car - just buy it and hope for the best.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:00 PM

someone has blown a gasket

Seems that Shinigami has sprung a serious oil leak. By way of repair:

"Can you possibly post links to ALL the people who have had problems with the 55?" he asks.

Answer: No, of course not. Silly question. Links to all owners would not be necessary to answer the question in my original post. I was asking for facts and figures, if they are available, to quantify the reliability of the SLK 55. I asked, for example, for numbers of TSBs, VINs affected by a given problem, etc. This kind of information is readily available for the MY2005 Corvette, for example, and potential buyers can use it to judge the C6's reliability. That's what I'm trying to obtain for the SLK. Get it? If not, reread my original post and make a giant effort. Try to concentrate on the meaning of my words.

"People love to complain," Shinigami writes, "and you have not yet grasped the idea that when someone has a problem with their car, they WILL voice their discontent, and unfortunately, this is what most people will hear about."

Reread my post. I DO understand, and WROTE QUITE CLEARLY, that "people with problems are disproportionately vocal about them." Do you have problems with English?

One last gem: "Seriously, I don't see where the 'alarming number of serious problems' are, because I don't see any myself."

Huh? Because YOU don't have any problems (and I'm glad for you), you don't see where they are? Ask the people who have them!

Once again, let me put the question to lucid forum members: Do you have info on the SLK 55's reliability? I understand that some of you have problems, and some don't. Are FIGURES obtainable about the prevalence of the various (and numerous) problems mentioned on this forum? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:06 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Frenchie
Given the following 2 truths:
1. There are problems with every make and model and owners with problems are disproportionately vocal about them.
2. There does seem to be an alarming number of serious problems popping up with the SLK 55...
I agree with the first statement. I, of course, don't agree with your second statement. If I did, I wouldn't have placed an order on one.

Per your request, I haven't seen any information that would quantify the number of problems. I believe it would have surfaced by now if there were such data available. If by chance someone has information, then please submit it. I too would be interested.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:49 PM

TSBs for the SLK 55

dsb, you write: "If by chance someone has information, then please submit it. I too would be interested."

I found the info: TSBs for SLK 55 w/VINs affected. E-mail me.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:10 PM

SLK 55
Could you please send me the link also.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-05-2005, 11:23 PM

Here is a TSB link, but I don't believe its as comprehensive as the one you have, would you send it to me as well. Thanks.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/index.html

Acura 11 Wed, Aug 3, 2005 post date or issue date
Audi 34 Wed, Aug 3, 2005 post date or issue date
BMW 175 Tue, Aug 16, 2005 post date or issue date
Chrysler 98 Tue, Aug 30, 2005 post date or issue date
Ford 148 Thu, Sep 1, 2005 post date or issue date
GM 296 Thu, Aug 18, 2005 post date or issue date
Honda 46 Wed, Aug 31, 2005 post date or issue date
Hummer 18 Wed, Jul 20, 2005 post date or issue date
Hyundai 32 Thu, Aug 4, 2005 post date or issue date
Infiniti 21 Thu, Aug 18, 2005 post date or issue date
Isuzu 34 Wed, Aug 24, 2005 post date or issue date
Jaguar 33 Wed, Aug 31, 2005 post date or issue date
Kia 35 Thu, Aug 18, 2005 post date or issue date
LandRover 28 Wed, Aug 17, 2005 post date or issue date
Lexus 27 Thu, Aug 11, 2005 post date or issue date
Mazda 46 Fri, Sep 2, 2005 post date or issue date
MB 21 Thu, Aug 4, 2005 post date or issue date
Mitsubishi 18 Wed, Jul 20, 2005 post date or issue date
Nissan 36 Mon, Aug 22, 2005 post date or issue date
Porsche 73 Tue, Aug 30, 2005 post date or issue date
Saab 12 Thu, Aug 25, 2005 post date or issue date
Scion 11 Thu, Aug 11, 2005 post date or issue date
Subaru 14 Wed, Aug 17, 2005 post date or issue date
Suzuki 27 Wed, Aug 17, 2005 post date or issue date
Toyota 79 Thu, Aug 11, 2005 post date or issue date
Volkswagen 33 Wed, Aug 3, 2005 post date or issue date
Volvo 115 Fri, Aug 19, 2005 post date or issue date

Last edited by lisamcgu; 09-05-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
no more mercedes for me, amg or not, i dont care.
my car has been in "service" at least 25 times in 2 years. every thing from sunvisor light that wont go out to a diff that basically fell apart. when i have sometime im goin to write mercedes... my family has had about 8 benzes in the last 10years. my first car when i turned 16 was a 124 e500 '94... until they start building cars like that again, im done.
im trying to decide between a cayman s with a supercharger or a z06..... at least for now... the list changes almost daily
Old 11-01-2005, 11:53 PM

update

I started this thread way back in early September when I had just ordered my SLK55 and was concerned about reported unreliabilty.

I see now that SLK_55 has revived the thread with his "never again."

As for me, well, I now have my 55: 1 week, 600 miles. And I have learned since my original post that almost all of the reported problems have affected the 350, not the 55. Oil burning problems, especially. Others are common to all SLK models, but for me, so far, so good (at 600 miles, that's not saying much).

The car makes my Vette (now sold) look pitiful. Just an incredibly refined driving machine. I'm even learning to love the clunky downshifts.

Hey, AMG_55, why don't you give it another chance? Get an '06 55...
Old 11-02-2005, 02:18 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Only time will tell, but I feel most of my issues have been addressed by my change from an '05 350 to an '06 55.

Engine change = no oil comsumption problems and tried/true technology
MY change = rattles, tranny, other problems probably addressed.

Fingers are crossed!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
I started this thread way back in early September when I had just ordered my SLK55 and was concerned about reported unreliabilty.

I see now that SLK_55 has revived the thread with his "never again."

As for me, well, I now have my 55: 1 week, 600 miles. And I have learned since my original post that almost all of the reported problems have affected the 350, not the 55. Oil burning problems, especially. Others are common to all SLK models, but for me, so far, so good (at 600 miles, that's not saying much).

The car makes my Vette (now sold) look pitiful. Just an incredibly refined driving machine. I'm even learning to love the clunky downshifts.

to b honest i dont think mercedes makes a product that will suit my needs... or need, which is canyon running.
dont get me wrong, i love mercedes, if i could get 2 cars 1 would b a benz. its just that they dont have what im looking for.
i even thought of getting a slk55, taking the roof mech off and making it a permanent hardtop (for weight and stiffness), thats the best and purest chassis car mercedes offers.
to give u an example, i drive with my esp off all the time except on freeway in the rain.
the other day i went to the calabasas meet and we ran some canyons, the brakes were smoking, the diff started to leak, some fluid under the hood got really hot and started leaking from under the cap of its container, etc...
the car is just isnt made for it, its really sad when u think about it. i bought an amg over a regular 500 and paid over 20000 over the price of a 500 for a more performance oriented car, i didnt really care about the extra power and its not worth an extra 20000 for 60hp. i drove it hard for about 20 min - 30 min. with a 10min brake in-between. and it still breaks. i used to drive my e36 m3 for 45min straight on the same roads and no problem... i got the brakes to glow bright red and still not nearly as much fade as my "brembo" equipped amg.
i need a real performance car.
until amg comes out with a lighter weight car with a stick,a real mechanical lsd and fully defeateble esp; im going back to ///m, or bying a porsche porsche.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:54 AM

A SL55 delivered 8/18/07, and an E55 wagon delivered 5/11/05
Well my car is 10 1/2 months old has 11,500 miles on it. Only problems so far, check engine light came on in 1st week of having car that was fixed (loose vacuum hose) at about 8,300 miles I had to add a quart of oil. Never had a new car that burned oil but my service guy says its normal on the AMG engine. Did the "A" service at 9500 miles $200 have some rattle problems that I have not addressed yet...maybe its normal for this car to have some rattling? My E55 stalled out on my wife so its had more problems than the SLK. But I can keep up with Lisa Mcg on the freeway Wolf
Old 11-02-2005, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Mr Wolf
Well my car is 10 1/2 months old has 11,500 miles on it. Only problems so far, check engine light came on in 1st week of having car that was fixed (loose vacuum hose) at about 8,300 miles I had to add a quart of oil. Never had a new car that burned oil but my service guy says its normal on the AMG engine. Did the "A" service at 9500 miles $200 have some rattle problems that I have not addressed yet...maybe its normal for this car to have some rattling? My E55 stalled out on my wife so its had more problems than the SLK. But I can keep up with Lisa Mcg on the freeway Wolf
my moms e55 05 also stalled on her, more than once, one time she was making a u turn and it stalled right in the middle of the intersection during traffic
Old 11-02-2005, 03:04 AM

A SL55 delivered 8/18/07, and an E55 wagon delivered 5/11/05
Originally Posted by AMG_55
my moms e55 05 also stalled on her, more than once, one time she was making a u turn and it stalled right in the middle of the intersection during traffic
Did MBZ ever figure out why it stalled ? When I took the car in MBZ service techs could not duplicate the problem and no error codes were in the computer. Wolf
Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Mr Wolf
Did MBZ ever figure out why it stalled ? When I took the car in MBZ service techs could not duplicate the problem and no error codes were in the computer. Wolf
some hose was leaking under the hood, i think it was something to do w/ the s/c, they told me that they couldnt figure it out for a while b/c the computer didnt show anything, it was serviced at beverly hills mercedes , mayb u can contact them
Old 11-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, Infiniti M45 Sport
Strange, I've heard of people tracking the SLK55 with no problems at all. You'd think 20 min lapping sessions around Pahrump would bring to surface any problems that you'd find in a canyon.

Had my '06 SLK55 for a couple days now, 100+ miles, no problems.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:19 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
Same here! No more for me neither! My car has been in service close to 20 times so far (one year)! My family too has had MB as far as I can remember!

No matter what anybody says all the reports (studies) and articles point to the serious reliability/dependability problems MB (in general) has. Specially when compared to others. And I have posted many of them in the past.

It is a shame!

Originally Posted by AMG_55
no more mercedes for me, amg or not, i dont care.
my car has been in "service" at least 25 times in 2 years. every thing from sunvisor light that wont go out to a diff that basically fell apart. when i have sometime im goin to write mercedes... my family has had about 8 benzes in the last 10years. my first car when i turned 16 was a 124 e500 '94... until they start building cars like that again, im done.
im trying to decide between a cayman s with a supercharger or a z06..... at least for now... the list changes almost daily
Old 11-04-2005, 11:38 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Only One Minor Problem Which I fixed.

After 11,300 miles and over 10 months, I have had only one minor problem with my 55. A small vacuum line at the front of the engine under the front engine cover popped off a fitting, causing the Check Engine light to come on. I could hear the resulting noise and upon inspection, I easily repaired this myself and took it to a local shop to reset the light.

Other than that, my 55 has been absolutely perfect. No runs, drips or errors. And I have run hard on 5 or 6 weekends at several track events. (See my upcoming separate post for some videos.)

As I've posted on the BenzWorld forum, "Man! I love this car."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK 55 reliability?