SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Rough Rider

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rough Rider

I've now been driving my new 55 for a week (about 600 miles) and have been delighted with much of the experience. The (big) exception has been with ride quality -- the thing rides like a buckboard on many California freeway sections. It's bad enough to cause blurred vision, and I felt my teeth knocking together on Thursday crossing the San Mateo bridge!

By the way, I do know what a sport suspension is supposed to feel like -- the car I just sold is a Dinan-suspension M5, and my other current car is a Ferrari 512TR. It's saying something when your Fazzaz has a more comfortable ride than your Merc!

Have other people experienced this? It's bad enough that I'm thinking of swapping the car after only one week. I passed on a Lotus Elise to buy the 55, and am having a hard time believing that the Lotus would have been any more punishing as a daily driver.

All advice welcomed, particularly from folks who have had similar impressions and have executed fixes. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2005, 05:04 AM

https://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r171/125345-bumpy-ride.html

I posted a similar post in the past. I agree with you 100%, but it's really not that bad for city driving. Just on some of the damn California freeways.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:02 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Originally Posted by ggetz
I've now been driving my new 55 for a week (about 600 miles) and have been delighted with much of the experience. The (big) exception has been with ride quality -- the thing rides like a buckboard on many California freeway sections. It's bad enough to cause blurred vision, and I felt my teeth knocking together on Thursday crossing the San Mateo bridge!

By the way, I do know what a sport suspension is supposed to feel like -- the car I just sold is a Dinan-suspension M5, and my other current car is a Ferrari 512TR. It's saying something when your Fazzaz has a more comfortable ride than your Merc!

Have other people experienced this? It's bad enough that I'm thinking of swapping the car after only one week. I passed on a Lotus Elise to buy the 55, and am having a hard time believing that the Lotus would have been any more punishing as a daily driver.

All advice welcomed, particularly from folks who have had similar impressions and have executed fixes. Thanks!

I know the 55's ride is harsh but it is no where in the same league as the elise's unpleasnatness....besides, the 55 does not require training as a contortionist to get in and out of.

If you absolutely cant get used to the ride, i would try the 911cabrio
Old 12-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, Infiniti M45 Sport
Wierd, I didn't have a problem with the SLK55's suspension at all on the San Mateo bridge, and we hit it at least once a week or so as we live in Foster City.

Sure, it's firm, but I don't find it any worse than my old Z06, not nearly as smooth as my old Lexus SC430, but that car couldn't handle to save it's life.

Well worth the tradeoff to me.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:26 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
I also live in the SF Bay Area, and haven't had a problem with the ride. It is hard, but no harder than I expected and certainly within the norm for sportscars.

Maybe there's something wrong with yours, or you got a bonus and accidentally got the "Nurbergering -tuned suspension" from the 030 performance package.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 Diamond Black C230K
Anyone ridden in both a C230 Sport Sedan (my current ride) and an SLK55 and can provide some comparisons?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:59 AM

I used to have a 2004 c23owz, kept it for 8 months and got rid of it for a z4. It was a good car in terms of space and comfort, but i had evolved past the levelof performace that came out of that engine (i had a 2002 c-coupe before that).

So, in terms of a comparison, the basic electronic stuff (command, climate control, steering buttons etc) are similar but the ride, drive train, performance, handling are completely different. The c230's performance, i felt was often temperature dependant and there was an acceleration lag. The steering was also quite big and lacked communication (way better than a c240 though). The 55 seems like a different brand of car. Test drive one and you will see what i mean.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 PM
ON PROBATION

Tires? Tire pressure? Consider switching to the Pilot A/S's -- alot of guys have done this to get a "plushier" ride without losing much in the way of tire performance (longer treadlife can be a plus too depending on whether or not the difference matters to you...).
Old 12-06-2005, 12:07 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
It's fine. I drive between Sacramento and SF area and run into the same problems especially on highway 80 near Vacaville. I attribute the rough ride to a stiffer suspension and shorter wheelbase than by other vehicles. I just change lanes and that eliminates the problem most times.

I dont mind the harshness of the ride. I didn't buy a '80 Cadillac. I bought a sports car. I'm glad it's a bit stiff especially when I take a corner fast.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:11 PM

Thanks

Appreciate the good guidance from all. I thought that the suspension was softening a bit with use, but this morning's ride (on 580 East, for those who know it) was like sitting on a paint shaker. Very odd -- especially given that last night's ride home seemed pretty smooth. Probably all in my head.

Even on highways, the phenomenon is pretty location-specific. The biggest problem may be related to the short wheelbase -- you get this bucking motion going on that takes on its own resonance.

I'll definitely try some of the tire pressure suggestions, and will strongly consider the Pilots (had several sets on my M5 over time, and actually also have a set on my 512TR right now). I'm also going to have a chat with the dealer service department to see if there's anything they can tell me. If it comes down to it, I can always buy a set of 17" wheels and put some more compliant rubber on them.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:31 PM

If it comes down to it, I can always buy a set of 17" wheels and put some more compliant rubber on them.

I think the 55 has 18" wheels to accomodate the larger brake rotors. I dont know if 17's will work.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:10 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Appreciate the good guidance from all.
I'll definitely try some of the tire pressure suggestions,
What PSI are you running in your tires? Search here or other forum. Much discussion. A lot of us are running under the door sticker. About 34 front and 32.5 rear.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:43 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Appreciate the good guidance from all. I thought that the suspension was softening a bit with use, but this morning's ride (on 580 East, for those who know it) was like sitting on a paint shaker. Very odd -- especially given that last night's ride home seemed pretty smooth. Probably all in my head.

Even on highways, the phenomenon is pretty location-specific. The biggest problem may be related to the short wheelbase -- you get this bucking motion going on that takes on its own resonance.

I'll definitely try some of the tire pressure suggestions, and will strongly consider the Pilots (had several sets on my M5 over time, and actually also have a set on my 512TR right now). I'm also going to have a chat with the dealer service department to see if there's anything they can tell me. If it comes down to it, I can always buy a set of 17" wheels and put some more compliant rubber on them.

FYI, I had the 350 before getting the 55. The 350 with AMG package had a sports suspension and 17" wheels. I still had the problem on those highways. I believe your statement regarding a short wheelbase and bucking is the problem.

Therefore, I don't think changing the wheels and/or tires will make that much of a difference. If you're really worried about it, attend the next Norcal Meet and ask for a ride in a 350 with the AMG package, or go to your dealer and request a test drive. Maybe they'll accomodate you.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:04 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
My SLK55 rides like a Caddy compared to my RX-7. I lose 5 lbs every time I ride more than 5 miles in my RX-7 on these Cali Bay Area freeways :p .

Trust me, its the road. The SLK55 suspension is not that jarring. Its all relative!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:23 PM

I have 19" wheels. I'm starting to experience problems that have me losing tire pressure on one particular wheel on a regular basis. If I let the tire pressure get too low, the tire slips and even after refilling it, that's it - an VERY unbalanced wheel. When it happens, my ride is as you describe.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM

Changed tire pressures

I let some air out last night, am now at 32.5 rear and 34 front, as suggested.

This morning's ride was inconclusive -- I'll give a quick update later based on more observation.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and observations.