Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cubanite SLK55AMG
2 Litres of Oil Loss in 4000km!

Hi guys!

My '06 SLK55 is 4000km old and was just in to have an iPod Integration Kit fitted today and investigation of an annoyingly frequent 'Add 1L of Engine Oil with next Refuelling' warning.

Turns out my car has burned 2 Litres of oil in only 4000km!

Any ideas about this guys?

I'm terrified this engine is a dud and I'd look forward to any comments you guys might have about it. Sounds like an awful lot to me. No other engine related issues were found to inspection apparently.

Furthermore the Service Manager of this dealership tried to tell me that AMG's need to be nannied/run-in for the first 5000kms! Varying engine revs, no full throttle stuff and not exceeding certain engine RPM for this entire time!

OMG - is he for real?

I really would appreciate comments on that one guys...

Big smiles from Down Under.

AUSSLK55AMG

Sydney Australia
Old 03-16-2006, 05:09 AM

Here in the UK running in procedure is 1000 miles. Not supposed to go over 85mph and over 4500rpm, no full throttle and no kickdown.

It has confused me a great deal because others have also said you shoud run around in C mode rather than S mode and it's not advisable to use the manual gears.

I am still running in at the moment. I have done a couple of full throttle from 2000rpm-4500rpm in all the manual gears (2nd-7th) and I cannot imagine that being an issue as I don't kickdown and I don't go over 4500 rpm. The stupid thing is that with 7 gears and in normal auto mode it is almost impossible for the gearbox not to kickdown even when driving like a granny. I guess kicking down 2-3 gears is a different thing.

I have done 700 miles now (only 300 to go) and 250 or so has been in C mode and 450 in S mode, with 3-4 miles trying manual mode out.

Not sure why your car is using so much oil though.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:24 AM

AMG
very normal! dont worry!
Old 03-16-2006, 01:40 PM

SLK 55 AMG
No, that is not normal. My SLK 55 AMG has used up roughly a liter of oil in 26,000km's. A liter per 2000 is NOT NORMAL!

Whilst the engines are run in, it's the differential and gearbox which need to be treated with respect for the first few thousand kilometers.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by Shinigami
No, that is not normal. My SLK 55 AMG has used up roughly a liter of oil in 26,000km's. A liter per 2000 is NOT NORMAL!

Whilst the engines are run in, it's the differential and gearbox which need to be treated with respect for the first few thousand kilometers.

maybe its not normal as you said, but mine consumes alot of oil... I track my car very often ... (2wice a week) sometimes more
Old 03-18-2006, 09:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
My '55 has 14000 miles, and every time I've changed the oil, I've checked the oil level before draining the old oil. It's always been identical to what the oil level was after the previous oil change, so my car has not used any measureable amount of oil, even during the break-in period. Then again, I've never tracked the car, and I very rarely have taken the engine over 4000 RPM.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by AMG&AMG
maybe its not normal as you said, but mine consumes alot of oil... I track my car very often ... (2wice a week) sometimes more

Have you breaked in the engine correctly? Ive heared that it causes this!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:37 PM

SLK 55 AMG
I don't track my car, but I drive in a very spirited manner, and have occasionally done driving against some other cars for over an hour where the RPM's stayed in the 5-6000 range for the whole duration.

And the amount of oil I've used up, has been very low. In fact, I've only topped it up twice. Once when I received my car (it wasn't "full") and once after the first service, where once again, the dealer did not completely fill up the car with the proper amount of oil, and so I added another half a liter.

So 1 liter in full, most likely not even required, but done because the engine was underfilled according to the computer.

I do think there is a problem if the engine is using up a liter every 2000miles/km's.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by Shinigami
...and once after the first service, where once again, the dealer did not completely fill up the car with the proper amount of oil...
I think this is the main problem. If you check your car after service, the dealers never seem to fill it up as they're supposed to. Some cheapa$$es might only put enough oil in so the sensors don't give you a low oil warning.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:24 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by AUSSLK55AMG
Hi guys!

My '06 SLK55 is 4000km old and was just in to have an iPod Integration Kit fitted today and investigation of an annoyingly frequent 'Add 1L of Engine Oil with next Refuelling' warning.

Turns out my car has burned 2 Litres of oil in only 4000km!

Any ideas about this guys?

I'm terrified this engine is a dud and I'd look forward to any comments you guys might have about it. Sounds like an awful lot to me. No other engine related issues were found to inspection apparently.

Furthermore the Service Manager of this dealership tried to tell me that AMG's need to be nannied/run-in for the first 5000kms! Varying engine revs, no full throttle stuff and not exceeding certain engine RPM for this entire time!

OMG - is he for real?

I really would appreciate comments on that one guys...

Big smiles from Down Under.

AUSSLK55AMG

Sydney Australia
Couple of things

Did you check for leaks? Remember to remove the underbody covers when checking for leaks.

If you have been pushing the car very hard, lots of WOT etc during the first 1000 miles and the rings have not set in properly you could have alot of blow-by which increases oil comsumption.

Last edited by RJC; 03-24-2006 at 01:27 PM.