Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Car cameras: making videos and preventing theft

Car cameras: making videos and preventing theft
========================================

Hi, I was thinking of making a car video, but I need some advice and your feedback....

I have a regular camcorder, a miniDV camcorder (with iLink connectivity for PC transfers), and a USB webcam.

I think I can have a passenger on my right use the DV camcorder to take video from that seat.

For close external shots, I was thinking of taping the webcam onto clingy plastic, and draping that over the side of the open window, while the webcam is connected to my laptop.

For other external shots, I plan on putting the DV camcorder on a tripod where the camera is stationary.

Now, I am kind of debating whether I should use my crappy webcam or not... what light camera would you recommend?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I was thinking of installing an internal motion-sensing anti-theft camera. Is there any such thing available for the R171?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:37 PM

anyone?... Anyone?... Bueller?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 PM

do you live in a high crime area?
b/c sounds like you need to move
Old 08-09-2006, 01:55 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I don't understand...

Do you really intend to setup a wireless camera to protect your vehicle from possible theft?

You mention the passenger holding the camera... Is this to record street racing?

If you were a little more clear, maybe someone could help.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:35 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Never heard of such a camera for an SLK.

However, a reputable shop ought to be able to hook up something to the standard alarm of the SLK, and have it launch the camera to record all that's going on.

But then what? What if the car is stolen? How are you going to get your video of the person who stole it, if the camera is in the car? Would you hook it up to a wireless antenna so as to send the video feed through radio frequency to your desktop?

IMO, you'll be overcomplicating things. This is what insurance is for. If your car is stolen, they will pay it back. you can also help things by making sure your car is installed with the MB alarms, and you can also buy other things to lock down your car, such as steering wheel jacks, locks for the wheels, and so on.

An MB is already one of the harder cars to steal, especially the SLK's which come with the IR keys. It is very hard to break into the dash to find the necessary wires to start up the car, and it's really not worth it for the average thief. You can also park your car in a locked garage, and stay away from dubious parts of town.

There comes a point where you have to take a step back and ask yourself "is it really worth it". If you live in such a bad place, then it's time to move on IMO.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Almost a Member!

05 SLK55, 04 SL55
I agree with the others when it comes to the security camera idea, it sounds really complicated.

Just to add to Shinigami's comment about hot-wiring the car from the dash its not hard to do its completely impossible to start the car just by messing with the wires behind the dash the start procedure is carried out by various control units and the EIS (ignition key module) just sends the start command via the CAN it does not have any control over the process itself.

I would go with the idea of adding adding steering wheel jacks and so on, or if crime really is that bad in your area moving is a real good idea.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:20 AM

Thanks for all the responses... Let me respond to a few...

About the Security Camera:
I live in a good neighborhood in northern Virginia. However, I do go out to Washington DC after dark, and there are weird people lurking around even near good venues.

I also use Valet Parking, so I guess I just want to be safe... never had a problem with a Valet though...

About the Car Video..
I don't want to film street racing, but rather want to make a "music video" using my car... for high-speed segments, I plan on participating in track-racing events. All the filming on the street will be legal stuff.. :-)
Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
1) Forget the security camera entirely.

2) I'd suggest getting a bullet camera that is wired to a MiniDV camcorder. For the track, you may place the camcorder in the glove box or center console for safety. Then, the bullet cam can go outside the car. You can get creative as to where the cam goes. There are suction mounts that will allow you to attach the camera to the side of the car. I've also considered using zip ties to attach it to the vents on the hood. You could even make/buy a mount that would be secured to the roll bars behind the seats. This would probably be the most secure. Lots of options. Use google to search on bullet cams.

Don't let someone simply hold the camcorder.
That shake is annoying and kills the ruins the video IMO.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:08 PM

Thanks, dsb... the mostly useful reply thus far... rather than just telling me to move out... :-)

Everyone, feel free to recommend specific brands for the "bullet cam" setup he just suggested.