SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Need feedback regarding future performance mods...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Need feedback regarding future performance mods...

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and currently in the market for a used SLK55 AMG to use as my daily driver alongside my turbocharged 300hp lotus elise (horrible for daily use). Even before buying the SLK55, I am already thinking of performance upgrades. I would really appreciate if you guys could give me some suggestions and and answer a few questions.

1. I have selected the following initial performance upgrades: Kleeman headers + Kleemann ecu, green or K@N air filters, evosport pulleys, and modified AMG air intake to allow for greater air flow. Has anyone done any of these upgrades and did you achieve a noticeable performance increase? Any before and after dynos?

2. After doing some research, it seems that there are very few exhaust options and they are extremely overpriced. For example, the kleemann exhaust is something like $13,000, correct? I don't know how much the brabus system is, but I would imagine its just as pricey? The SLK350 has more reasonable exhaust options, such as Supersprint which retails for around $3,000 (I think). Is there nothing similar for the SLK55?

3. What are the lightest 18 inch wheels that are available for the SLK55? Unfortunately, most wheels I found are over 20lbs and some are as heavy as 25lbs! The best ones I found so far are Neez wheels (www.eisenhaus.com/neez.php, does anyone have any experience with these? As far as tires, I plan on going with Toyo Proxes RA1 or maybe even Michelin Pilot Cups and around 265-275 in the back.

4. To reduce some more weight, I'm thinking of removing sound deadening, swapping in lightweight battery, replacing as many windows as possible with lighter glass/plastic, replacing roof with the carbon fiber version (C2 design made one, any idea how much $$ and what's the weight difference?). Any more ideas to reduce weight? Also, as I understand, the SLK55 black series uses carbon brakes? Can you buy them from AMG?

Please let me know if I missed anything and sorry for the long post

Last edited by Addicted2Speed; 09-20-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG U R RICH
If Im u...I will wait slk63...and mod it
Old 09-20-2006, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by hekeke
OMG U R RICH
If Im u...I will wait slk63...and mod it
Unfortunately, it looks like the SLK63 will not be coming out anytime soon. The introduction of the SLK55 Black Series, with the same engine, only confirms this. And despite what you may think, I don't have an unlimited budget for this project, that's why I chose to do simple NA mods. If money was no object, I would probably do the top end Kleemann or Brabus package (or buy an SL65). My goal is fairly modest: Raise the HP by about 30-40 at the wheels, reduce the weight by 100-150lbs, and improve the handling with larger tires, firmer suspension and a lower center of gravity. If I can accomplish those three things, I think it would be the perfect SLK55

Last edited by Addicted2Speed; 09-20-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Na

sounds like your more a brabus customer then. Rims ... the renntech and carlsson ones are pretty light. in 19 my are 19.5lbs in front and 20.5 in rear.

Exhaust wise doesn't seem to be any that make any real performance gains. The carlsson one looks fantastic though. btw the kleemann exhaust is not even close to that expensive.

In terms of brakes ... the 030 package has the composite brakes in the front. Those are larger and lighter than the stock SLK55 brakes.

Again for suspension you can either go to the 030 package nurenburgh tuned suspension or go with maybe custom coilovers. If you lower the car you WILL need to do some body modification (roll fenders or more) if you put 235 in front and 265 in the rear. I have yet to hear of anyone that is successful in putting 275's in the rear. (and when I mean successful I mean absolutely no rubbing)
Old 09-21-2006, 06:45 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Why not just get the Black Edition, maybe more your type of car. Already comes with just as much hp as you would get if you did those engine mods on a standard SLK. You'll lose the retractable roof tho', and not sure you can get it in the states.

I wouldn't bother replacing the windows, don't think anyone has done it on an SLK and so it would be expensive to do. It will also create more cabin noise. If you want a slightly more comfortable ride, you're better off keeping them stock.

However, replacing the full iron hood to a CF one will definitely net you a 20lb or so reduction in weight. Kleemann I think comes with super light rims as well that you might want to consider.

The exhaust set from Kleemann I believe includes the headers (they cost over $3000), so you're really looking at less then 10,000 for that mod. It will net you a louder ride with a few extra hp, but it's really only recommended by Kleemann if you do the Supercharger mod.

Finally, relocate the battery to the trunk if you can, preferably where the spare tire is if you don't need it. That should help weight distribution.

The Kleemann header and ECU has been done by several people and they all love it.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:30 AM

'06 M5
The Kleeman TS6 wheels are heavy so don't waste any energy on them. They're beautiful, just way too heavy.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 09-21-2006, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

black

Didn't sould like he would have the funds for a new SLK55 much less a Black series ...
Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Kinesis F110 are the lightest wheels that I'm aware of, 18lbs or 19" wheels, alot of good things has been said about it. http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/3079

To reduce weight, you might want to read this by DanSLK. http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-gen...=reduce+weight
Old 09-21-2006, 07:27 PM

Too many to list
To remove the amount of weight you want will be extremely expensive, and even then I don't think it's possible.

It also doesn't seem like a good idea. There is no substitute for weight loss with regards to handling and dynamics, but the car is rubber limited so it will never be a great handling car. If you are only doing street driving, then you're just throwing money out the window. This is a great grand touring type car (and street car) but trying to make it into something it isn't likely won't result in much success.

The best bang for your buck is going to be the Kleeman superchager. The Headers, exhaust, and cams are overpriced.

To get the largest and lightest wheels, I got OZ Ultraleggerra 18x8 inch wheels and then got the rears widened to 9.5 inches. Total cost is still less than $500 a wheel and they are under 19 pounds.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:58 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I think 19lb is quite a lot for some rims...

When I checked the weight of the AMG rims (multi spokes and the more complex two-times-5-spokes-with-rivets style rims, they weighed about 21-24lbs a piece).

I'm pretty sure I've heard of rims being sold by some MB tuner (Renntech, Kleemann or something) that weigh about 13-16lb... Maybe it was the new multispokes which come out on the Black Series?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by Shinigami

When I checked the weight of the AMG rims (multi spokes and the more complex two-times-5-spokes-with-rivets style rims, they weighed about 21-24lbs a piece).

I'm pretty sure I've heard of rims being sold by some MB tuner (Renntech, Kleemann or something) that weigh about 13-16lb... Maybe it was the new multispokes which come out on the Black Series?
Are you sure you're not getting lbs and kilos mixed up??? 18 and 19 lbs for rims are light.

AMG wheels are closer to 30-32 lbs each on 18"s,

I'm not aware of any MB tuner that makes light wheels, except Carlsson, they are around 18-19lbs and they call those wheels ultralights. Kleemann wheels are heavy, 13 kilos sounds right, which is about 28-29lbs. I did some research awhile ago, MB tuner wheels are not the way to go, most are heavy, cast aluminium so, not as strong as forged, style IMO is outdated, and overpriced.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:36 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Ynot
Kinesis F110 are the lightest wheels that I'm aware of, 18lbs or 19" wheels, alot of good things has been said about it. http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/3079
IIRC, I don't think they make those for our lug configuration. Shame, they would be great wheels.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

weight

Shin ... the 030 rims are over 34 lbs a piece ...
Old 09-22-2006, 03:27 PM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by Shinigami

Recheck your source. Theres no 18" wheel on the planet that weighs 13 pounds. Anything under 20 pounds is very light for an 18 " wheel.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:14 PM

Looking for a new toy.
I've been doing some research into some lightweight wheels for drag racing and found these in specs to fit R171 SLKs (Tirerack):

OZ Ultraleggera 18" 18.6lbs and 17" 16.7lbs each

Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Another upgrade to consider is lightweight rotors from evosport (maybe other companies make them as well). I believe they are around $500 per courner and save 15lbs per courner of unsprung weight! Along with light wheels, you can really reduce the unsprung weight to a minimum. Check out thread t=121870
A while ago, I remember reading an in-depth comparison where they tested different wheels on Mini's. The cars using heavier 17-18 inch wheels took like 8 seconds to go from 0-60, while the ones using 15-16 inch wheels took like 6.8 seconds. The braking and skidpad results were just as dramatic.
On a performance side, here are the NA upgrades and their current prices that I think are best bang for the buck:

More HP. I believe all this adds up to around 400hp/400tq or more.
1. Kleemann Headers + ECU ~$5,050 installed
2. Kleemann LSD ~ $2,675 installed
3. Kleemann 200 cell sports cat ~$400 installed
4. Green filters ~$200 installed
5. Evosport underdrive pulley ~$400 installed

Less Weight, decreases unsprung weight by at least 20lbs per courner.
1. Lightweight 18's wheels (Neez, BBS, OZ, etc) usually around $4,500
2. Lightweight rotors ~$2000
3. Take out spare, sound deading and replace the battery, thats another 30-40lbs.
4. As far as tires, I'm thinking Toyo Proxes RA1 or Michelin Pilot Cups. Maybe 235 in the front and 275 in the back, roll fenders if needed.

What does everyone think? I think when I'm done with this thing, it will outperform my elise lol

P.S. On Eisenhaus.com website, it says that a new SLK55 exhaust will be available soon as well. I suspect the price will be in line with their SLK350's exhaust (~$2,500). This is something I'm looking into as well.

Last edited by Addicted2Speed; 09-27-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:51 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
Another upgrade to consider is lightweight rotors from evosport (maybe other companies make them as well). I believe they are around $500 per courner and save 15lbs per courner of unsprung weight! Along with light wheels, you can really reduce the unsprung weight to a minimum. Check out thread t=121870
A while ago, I remember reading an in-depth comparison where they tested different wheels on Mini's. The cars using heavier 17-18 inch wheels took like 8 seconds to go from 0-60, while the ones using 15-16 inch wheels took like 6.8 seconds. The braking and skidpad results were just as dramatic.
On a performance side, here are the NA upgrades and their current prices that I think are best bang for the buck:

More HP. I believe all this adds up to around 400hp/400tq or more.
1. Kleemann Headers + ECU ~$5,050 installed
2. Kleemann LSD ~ $2,675 installed
3. Kleemann 200 cell sports cat ~$400 installed
4. Green filters ~$200 installed
5. Evosport underdrive pulley ~$400 installed

Less Weight, decreases unsprung weight by at least 20lbs per courner.
1. Lightweight 18's wheels (Neez, BBS, OZ, etc) usually around $4,500
2. Lightweight rotors ~$2000
3. Take out spare, sound deading and replace the battery, thats another 30-40lbs.
4. As far as tires, I'm thinking Toyo Proxes RA1 or Michelin Pilot Cups. Maybe 235 in the front and 275 in the back, roll fenders if needed.

What does everyone think? I think when I'm done with this thing, it will outperform my elise lol

P.S. On Eisenhaus.com website, it says that a new SLK55 exhaust will be available soon as well. I suspect the price will be in line with their SLK350's exhaust (~$2,500). This is something I'm looking into as well.
I like most of it. It sounds like you want another track car. I personally wouldn't take it to that extreme especially if I had an Elise in the garage.

IMO...

Yes:
Kleemann Headers + ECU ~$5,050 installed
Kleemann 200 cell sports cat ~$400 installed
Green filters ~$200 installed

Maybe:
Kleemann LSD ~ $2,675 installed
Evosport underdrive pulley ~$400 installed

No:
Take out sound deadening
Roll fenders

Again, do you really need two dedicated track cars? The slk55 is a solid performer but it won't rival the elise on most tracks... until you're on the straights.

BTW, I question that rotors would save 15 lbs on each corner. That seems to good to be true. Are the stock rotors truly that heavy?!

Lastly, I agree with the others. First get the thing stock. Drive it for awhile and THEN determine what you want to do.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:27 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Ok, maybe my weight calculation needed an extra 10lb in it... I checked those weights like a year ago, so can't remember it anymore (although I did post the info in here somewhere).