SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK 55 VS Boxster S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK 55 VS Boxster S

Can someone who had both cars at some point explain which is more enjoyable on streets , around corners and more enjoyable long term
Old 12-04-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 154 Likes on 38 Posts
c63 BS; lc500; F-pace SVR; Jaguar P8, c63 p31
boxster feed backs

My boss just got a Boxster S so I got a chance to drove it around a bit (he drove my Slk when I got it) so here are a few impressions.
-Boxster's steering is very firm (in a good way) it made the SLk steering wheel seem almost too light.
-Boxster's tiptronic switches gear faster than the Slk's touch shift. There's less of a delay between the time the button is pressed to the gear actually shifted in the Boxster.
-Boxster interior is not as nice or classy as the Slk though. Too much black plastic.
-Boxster's with the top up is very tight in space. I though the Slk was small but its feels like sitting in a sedan when compared to the Boxster. I felt like a giant sitting in a suitcase.
-Boxster is a bit more balanced in fast corners. feels like I had complete control over the car. Every steering inputs was excellent. Not to say that the Slk sucked, just the Boxster felt a bit more balanced.
-Slk seem much more powerful when acceleration or driving.
-Slk sounded better (more throathy as well as louder then the boxster) at any speed.
-Slk feels much more planted at higher speed (80-90) Also the Slk body's feel stiffer. Felt much safer sitting in the Slk.
-Slk had much less wind noise with the top down (especially at high speed)

Hope this gave you some good ideas. I must say that I was impressed with the way the Boxster feels and drive. Now I know why Porsches are legendary for sport cars. It just that I still prefer the Slk over it. Much better to have the Slk for daily driving comforts; daily fun; and daily complements from total strangers.

Last edited by Lizard; 12-04-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
Do a seach and find the Car and Driver Magazine comparison between the SLK 55 AMG and the Boxster S.....Maybe it was Automobile Magazine.

Anyway,,,the winner was the SLK 55 AMG....

Now I want to know the comparrison of the SLK 55 AMG and the Cayman S...even though Cayman S is slower.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:09 PM

987S
Originally Posted by Deuce
Do a seach and find the Car and Driver Magazine comparison between the SLK 55 AMG and the Boxster S.....Maybe it was Automobile Magazine.

Anyway,,,the winner was the SLK 55 AMG....

Now I want to know the comparrison of the SLK 55 AMG and the Cayman S...even though Cayman S is slower.
I seem to remember that the Car and Driver comparison admitted that the Boxster S they had was damaged...... a previous magazine had crashed it and screwed up the handling. There are a fair number of SLK55 Vs Boxster S (new 987 version) comparisons out there and the vast majority conclude that the SLK is the better cruiser, massively quick in a straight line and more exclusive while the Boxster S wins out when it comes to handling and balance, all track tests that I've seen place the Boxster S ahead of the AMG.

Both are great cars.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Almost a Member!

I know very little about the two, and am impartial to the two as well. With that said...

From purely cosmetical perspective,

SLK 55 FTMFW.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
I seem to remember that the Car and Driver comparison admitted that the Boxster S they had was damaged...... a previous magazine had crashed it and screwed up the handling. There are a fair number of SLK55 Vs Boxster S (new 987 version) comparisons out there and the vast majority conclude that the SLK is the better cruiser, massively quick in a straight line and more exclusive while the Boxster S wins out when it comes to handling and balance, all track tests that I've seen place the Boxster S ahead of the AMG.

Both are great cars.
i agree
Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG

Both are great cars.
Yet you forget, the reviews on the AMG have ALL been on the std SLK55 suspension, not the Nurbergring suspensioned SLK55. The std SLK55 is just as quick through the slalom as a std boxter, a GT2, a 911 Carerra, and up until this year - a 911 TT (but none are as quick as the Boxter S).

I'd imagine the stiffer suspensioned 030 package on the SLK would close the gap considerably on the Boxter S (maybe not equal it, but be extremely close - to the point it would be inperceptable to all but a full time/dedicated race driver on a track). I'd like to see the time for an 030 suspensioned SLK on the Ring - it would likely perform a bit better (maybe not though - its got some heavy azz rims that accompany the 030 package ). Go figure .

-Matt
Old 12-07-2006, 05:57 AM

987S
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Yet you forget, the reviews on the AMG have ALL been on the std SLK55 suspension, not the Nurbergring suspensioned SLK55. The std SLK55 is just as quick through the slalom as a std boxter, a GT2, a 911 Carerra, and up until this year - a 911 TT (but none are as quick as the Boxter S).

I'd imagine the stiffer suspensioned 030 package on the SLK would close the gap considerably on the Boxter S (maybe not equal it, but be extremely close - to the point it would be inperceptable to all but a full time/dedicated race driver on a track). I'd like to see the time for an 030 suspensioned SLK on the Ring - it would likely perform a bit better (maybe not though - its got some heavy azz rims that accompany the 030 package ). Go figure .

-Matt
Totally agree!...... and I'd also love to see some comparitive lap times for the 030 package car.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:36 AM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
Dig up the Top Gear episode where Clarkson compares an SLK55 to a Boxster S. Very entertaining. Not long after that episode Clarkson bought an SLK55 for himself.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by lennyr
Dig up the Top Gear episode where Clarkson compares an SLK55 to a Boxster S. Very entertaining. Not long after that episode Clarkson bought an SLK55 for himself.
yes, its on youtube. i watched it not too long ago(again).
Old 12-08-2006, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by mannnu81
yes, its on youtube. i watched it not too long ago(again).
Jeremy Clarckson owns a Black SLK55 AMG
Ford GT, Bluish Green 2003-4 SL55 AMG
Old 12-08-2006, 09:27 PM

what do YOU want?

Originally Posted by lennyr
Agreed! But what matters is how you feel, not others. Personally, I see 20 Boxters every morning on the way to work and no one notices. Even in car jaded Scottsdale, my 030 optioned car gets thumbs up from other drivers.

Also, every time I go to the road circuit at Firebird or PIR, the only time a Boxter ever sees the front of my car is when I come up behind them and blow past on any straightaway!

That said, you will enjoy either car. You will always wish for more power if you chose the Porsche. You'll wish for better steering "feel" if you chose the Benz.
Cheers from Arizona.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by az55
Agreed! But what matters is how you feel, not others. Personally, I see 20 Boxters every morning on the way to work and no one notices. Even in car jaded Scottsdale, my 030 optioned car gets thumbs up from other drivers.
Agree, the boxster's looks doesn't do it for me, obviously not for alot of ppl either, it doesn't attract the attention the SLK does. Regardless of how well it handles, it's still driven 99% of the time on the streets, you want a combination of looks, performance, and comfort. And the SLK55 comes out as a winner.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So I guess unbiasedley everyone hear thinks that for street driving and having some fun on twisties on roads, the Slk 55 is way more fun , handles as well as the Box S and is more confortable and much tighter structure. I guess everyine here got used to shifting with paddles/buttons

I can drive a stick well but I am not sure I appreciate a Stick like a true enthusiast would, for me the shifting with paddle/buttons is more than satisfactory

I heard the Box s could have few roof rattles, more so than the SLK
Old 12-12-2006, 02:18 PM

987S
Originally Posted by smjc_99
So I guess unbiasedley everyone hear thinks that for street driving and having some fun on twisties on roads, the Slk 55 is way more fun , handles as well as the Box S and is more confortable and much tighter structure.
About as unbiased as you would expect on an SLK forum..... if you asked the same question on a Boxster forum I suspect you'd get a similar totally unbiased view

Test drive them both!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 Porsche Cayman S
I love this forum. You tend to get as unbiased a reply to messages as you are likely to see anywhere. I applaud you all.
I Opted for a Cayman S over an SLK 55 for many reasons, but I would agree that as a daily driver with occasional track use, the SLK may be the superior car. I love the looks, really love the power, and then there is the great folding top.
I had an SLK 32, and loved it as well.
IMHO, either car (Boxster S or SLK 55) would be a winner, but the SLK is much more exclusive.